THE WOLVERINE - Reviews and Discussion Thread

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 22, 2013.

?

Rate The Wolverine

1. Excellent

20.5%
  2. Above Average

44.6%
  3. Average

30.1%
  4. Below Average

3.6%
  5. Poor

1.2%
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Hugh Jackman might end up with his own solo superhero trilogy, but he would prefer if you forgot that his first solo Wolverine movie ever existed. :devil:

Last edited: Mar 22, 2014
  2. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

I think once all 9 X-Men films are put together you'll have a 9 film saga as seen through Logan's perspective mainly but also Charles and Erik as well.

3. shivkala

shivkala Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Despite it's flaws, X-Men Origins: Wolverine isn't a horrible movie. It's not great, either, but it's far from terrible. It's like Green Lantern: so much potential, so little done with that potential.

4. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

6. Captaindemotion

Captaindemotion Admiral Admiral

Should've gotten David E. Kelley. Wolverine and Sabretooth set up business as a pair of mismatched lawyers.

7. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ But does he work extensively on his body?

9. JarodRussell

10. Captaindemotion

Apparently Fox initially engaged him to work on their Daredevil reboot, before letting the rights revert to Marvel.

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I mean, seriously, is this just some random guy they found hanging out on a street corner or something? What's so special about him? Is he blackmailing someone?

12. JacksonArcher

JacksonArcher Vice Admiral Admiral

I'm glad they are getting a different writer for the next one. One of my qualms with The Wolverine was the writing. It featured strong performances and good direction, but the writing left much to be desired (especially in the third act).

Although his "body of work" doesn't really inform us whether or not he's actually talented or not. We'll just have to wait and see.

It should also be noted that Hugh Jackman is confirmed to reprise the role of Logan/Wolverine for what might be his eighth or ninth appearance (depending on if he appears as Wolverine in 2016's X-Men: Apocalypse). I think we can safely say he will be one of the only -if not the only - actor to play a superhero for such a long duration. Why do I have a feeling that this next solo Wolverine movie might be his last?

13. JarodRussell

Maybe he just knows someone personally. Or someone watched that one short film and liked it. Just because he has only one item in his IMDB entry doesn't mean that's the only thing he ever did. But it's still weird. Some people struggle forever, and some just randomly fall upon it.

14. Captaindemotion

It's unlikely but might they consider acknowledging Hugh's age and doing Old Man Wolverine as a film before rebooting or recasting?

15. JarodRussell

Jackman is only 45. They could go on another 10 - 15 years before having to do that.

16. Captaindemotion

Well, by the time Apocalypse and Wolverine 3 are under his belt, he'll be heading for 50. So one more solo outing could see him doing that storyline, though he'd probably look a fair bit younger than OMW looked in the comics. As I say, it's unlikely but it might be one way of dealing with the fact that Hugh's not getting any younger.

17. JacksonArcher

I would love to see Old Man Logan used as the source material for The Wolverine 2 or Wolverine 3 or whatever you wanna call it. It is probably fairly unlikely, though.

Hugh Jackman himself has even admitted that he can't keep on playing this character forever. I think he mentioned the work out regimen to get into shape as Wolverine is getting tiresome as he gets older. I know he loves playing this character, but he expressed doubt about returning for another solo movie, so I think his time is close to being done playing the character.

I can see this next solo Wolverine project being the last time he'll play the character. If Fox is smart, they will promote it as such to boost box office sales. WB was smart to play up the fact that The Dark Knight Rises was Christopher Nolan's last Batman movie even though we're going to see Batman again in 2016.

18. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

Not a fan of "Old Man Logan". I'd rather see a story set in Madripoor with Logan in his "Patch" persona done on the big screen.

19. JacksonArcher

Old Man Logan is probably too impossible to pull off regardless without seriously compromising the story. A story set in Madripoor is much more likely.

20. AvBaur

AvBaur Captain Captain

It's really not that unusual. He probably has a couple of unproduced spec scripts floating around Hollywood that the agency people etc. really like. The new writers of Star Trek 3 don't have any produced credits to their name, either.