Eccleston turned down chance to be in 50th Anniversary story

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by JoeZhang, Apr 5, 2013.

1. Brendan Moody

Brendan Moody Vice Admiral Admiral

Which was a big deal precisely because the BBC is indeed not allowed to lie in public statements. Note, however, that this claim about Eccleston and Moffat is not from a BBC spokesperson in an institutional context, but from an "official source," i.e., whoever has been delegated to deliver the current PR line to Digital Spy. (An official spokesperson certainly wouldn't have called them "Chris" and "Steven.") That doesn't mean it's not true, but it's also not quite as authoritative as some people have assumed.

2. smalltalk66

smalltalk66 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think I know why the classic doctors weren't included: Their age. If it was an adventure show (like the 20th anniversary show--with Baker in his velvety-smooth pimp hat lol) the writers would have to explain why the classic actors look so much older. That said, as an American viewer, I have no idea what has been planned. Baker and Davidson would still would be fun to watch, though.

3. Mark_Nguyen

Mark_Nguyen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, 1080p (with 3D this time) cameras are much less forgiving of age than the videotape technology sued during the previous reunions. We could have accepted Troughton's more-craggy face or Pertwee's increasingly poofy hair, but there's NO WAY anyone would accept any of the classic Doctors in a realistic context (save McGann - that guy is the most recent, and apparently the man just doesn't age). Even the explanation in Time Crash only got us so far, and my own desire to see the older guys in action again is weighed against the practical needs of seeing a story that makes thematic and contextual sense.

Mark

4. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

Moffat loves the mindfuck timey wimey wibbly wobbly paradoxy stuff. I'm sure he could come up with a way to explain the presence of the previous Doctors and their aged appearance if he was so inclined. I think a lot of us would be prepared to meet him half way were he to try.

5. Mr Awe

Mr Awe Vice Admiral Admiral

Time Crash supplies a total solution.

Also, it's not just McGann who doesn't look much older. Davison and McCoy both look close enough.

Mr Awe

6. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

McCoy could easily reprise his role.

7. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

Chooses well who he plays with. If it goes wwweuouolllll it could end up being the final push into being a cool post-modern study of ageism.

Would have been nice to have the following discussion though:

NINE: Where are the others?
    TEN: We can't, just, can't.

8. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

And that's why I don't want most classic doctors involved. But McGann is still just about in his prime. It was only the mid nineties when he was the doctor, and I think he's aged well. If they had Troughton with grey hair in the two doctors, then why not McGann with just like a few bags under his eyes and a couple of lines if that.

I think McCoy is still useable too. Yes he's aged since 1989, but remember that he aged quite lot in the 96 film, and I think since then he's not aged too much.

Baker, Davison, and C. baker have aged too much since their last appearance though, especially Colin. He's aged terribly. Tom's not aged too badly considering he even began to age by the end of his tenure as the doctor, if only he just lost his weight and put on a curly wig, he'd be good enough for the role. But I can't see that happening. Davison's not aged too badly, but because he was so young when he was the doctor, in comparison he's too far gone.

But really at the end of the day although I'm very happy to see David come back, I'd be so much more than happy to see Smith, Tennant, McGann, and McCoy team up for a "The Four Doctors" special. I've come to terms Eccleston will never respire the role.

9. Mr Awe

^ I'm glad you're so focused on the most important aspects of the character in your extensive analysis! ;)

10. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Why would they have to explain anything? Viewers really don't care about pointless crap like that. They just want to be entertained by a good story and interesting characters.

11. Green Lantern

12. Rarewolf

Rarewolf Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well as demonstrated above, they don't record voiceovers till the last minute, and their voices haven't aged quite so much.

We could hear what goes on in his head.
    It's a nice idea at least :D

We don't know how old his Doctor was at the point of Regeneration. If anything he seemed to have shrunk. We just know he still had curly hair :)

13. Konata Izumi

Konata Izumi Commander Red Shirt

It's such a strong image that it can distract easily, even if slightly. OTOH, make it an equally essential part of the story, and it might be very powerfully told.

14. Green Lantern

And Colin had think white hair. Unless you want this guy to be running around in a blonde curly wig and a bright tasteless coats, I think you'll agree that he should never play the doctor on screen again.
    [​IMG]

15. ToddKent

ToddKent Captain Captain

I'd love to see him play the Doctor again.

16. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

[​IMG]

17. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Same.

18. Mr Awe

^ Thirded!

19. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Okay, so there's four of you who care, and... how many millions watching the show who don't? :p

20. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, I don't want to tell the man he can't play the Doctor any longer. That'd be like being the one to forcibly retire Chris Pike. But he doesn't even look like the same man any longer.

A good writer could come up with an explanation, though. Perhaps a Doctor from another timeline where he hasn't had to regenerate in a very long time?