7X07 The Rings of Akhenaten (Grading/Discussion) (SPOILERS!)

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by Samurai8472, Apr 6, 2013.

?

Grade "The Rings of Akhaten"

Poll closed May 7, 2013.
  1. Geronimo!

15 vote(s)
    11.7%
  2. Good

50 vote(s)
    39.1%
  3. Average

36 vote(s)
    28.1%
  4. Bad

18 vote(s)
    14.1%
  5. Terrible

9 vote(s)
    7.0%
  1. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Do often with nuWho we get stories that are Earth-centric and to me that's really tiring. Especially considering some of the greatest stories of the old series took place completely in alien settings. So it was with great interest that tonight's episode did just that.

Having said all that, I did really enjoy this episode, I know I'm in the minority here, but that's OK. This one really felt like it could have came from the classic series, just condensed a bit. I would have really liked a bit more story, but what was there was pretty good. When Clara separated from the Doctor near the beginning of the episode, I was worried it would be a Doctor-lite episode so I was thankful that that was not the case.

I was hoping this whole "otherworldly" aspect of Doctor Who would carry over to the next episode or so as well, but judging by the previews...that sadly does not seem to be the case.

2. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

No, you got it mostly right but left out a part: The reason why the leaf was so important it is because the leaf represents an infinite amount of potential stories and memories that could have happened.

3. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I didn't have a problem with the music. But then I usually listen through headphones. Maybe that makes a difference.

Only gave it an Average. The alien culture was wonderful, and Matt and Jenna were great. I just found the main plot overly confusing and lacking any emotional attachment.
    In other words, I really didn't care what happened.

Even the singing was a let down. C'mon, is this the same guy who composed Vale Decem and Abigail's Song?

I do hope things pick up next week, even though the trailer makes it feel like a remake of Warrior of the Deep.

Last edited: Apr 7, 2013
  4. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Also, I feel compelled to point out that music drowning out the dialogue isn't Murray Gold's fault. That would be the sound editor's responsibility. A person who obviously really likes Murray's work.

5. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fine, it's time to get a new sound editor then.

6. Jon1701

Jon1701 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Fair enough.

I still cant work out how the seven planets survived without Sunface Angrygod though. Also, was it really necessary to interfere? The doctor took a massive chance here I thought. The only person that really seemed in trouble was the little girl. Everyone else on the seven planets had been getting along just nicely the last few millennia - they didnt seem particularly enslaved or anything. They just sacrified a little girl every thousand years or so to keep the peace.

I mean, it all turned out alright in the end but it could have ended up wiping out SEVEN PLANETS. Im not saying its right but I doubt Picard would have intervened...

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

Janeway might have though. No, Janeway definitely would have interfered.

8. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

And it would have been her first officers duty to stun her unconscious for ignoring the prime directive, lock her up and take over the command.

Did you wonder if the Mummy was an alternate version of the Doctor put there by Susan,who then fed herself to grandfather to stop the god from destroying the universe... I mean when we saw him finally, it was unlikely, but there was a point before that where grandfather was referenced as a Mummy.

9. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Aaaaand I want to point out that the big, red, glowy thing wasn't a sun. It was a planet.

[​IMG]

10. JoeZhang

JoeZhang Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought that was fairly dull - a few tidbits for the hardcore nerds and the people trying to work out the series arc but as an actual story? Dull.

11. O'Dib

O'Dib Commodore Commodore

I loved this, but just wanted to muse on how unlikely an economy based on tech that assigns numeric value to sentimental trinkets would be. 'Cause.. if all your money is tied up in stupid worthless shit, you'd expect gifts from friends and family constantly just to maintain a lifestyle. Your work wouldn't matter as much as being close with folks so that crap would have meaning. But then if you're used to giving things away constantly, what's around long enough to truly accrue emotional value? Hoarders would be the only billionaires in that society.'

ETA: Now, if that translated to all people having to produce art that's deeply meaningful to trade for food, we might have the makings of a beautiful society.

12. Australis

Australis Writer - Australis Admiral

Very two minds about this, gave it a good.

The production values, except for the space scooter CGI, were pretty high, and I liked all the aliens (and a fair number had moving mouths).

But, I dunno. The Dr visiting the funeral? Clara in the past? Clara's magic leaf, with not just the past but all the days that never came? (ok, that wasn't a bad idea) Yet another "I'm the lonely doctor with a big past" speech? Almost touching but we've heard it all before.

And I know I'm in a party of one but Clara does not click with me, and I'd rate her, personally, worst companion evar. She's just a pretty face with not a lot going on behind it, while trying very, very hard to make her 'mysterious'. Yeah, hate me, just a personal opinion.

13. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Two episodes in and shes already "worst companion evar"? Damn that must be some sort of record.

14. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    :klingon:
    That's how I feel about pretty much everyone, though. I get following Clara's past, but why not check the pasts of the other two as well? I can do without another mysterious companion, as well, but heck I'm game for a pretty face. As others have mentioned, Victorian Clara would have been a bit more interesting as we've had all modern companions to date. I am interested to see how things go when we run into Vastra and Jenny again down the road. I hope the stories get more fun for you.

Maybe, gotta say Rose annoyed me from the first episode and never changed. Hopefully, Clara will improve on Austalis.

15. Asbo Zaprudder

Asbo Zaprudder Admiral Admiral

The misnamed thread title gives a clue as to where the writer (Neil Cross) probably got his inspiration:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Akhnaten_(opera)

If only the music had been anything like as good as that.

I voted average because there were compensating moments, but the "companion as mystery" reveal had better be good.

16. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

True story. Was just about to post something similar. I'm pretty sure they specifically call it a planet early in the episode even.

17. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

I haven't seen a Doctor Who in a long while where I am asking myself this question, Am I even able to comprehend fully what I have just seen? On this episode, I understand the theme of lost and being found again - it's emphasized repeatedly. And I understand the Doctor's desire to understand who Clara is, and how he went about investigating that question. However, that business on that "world", I don't get it. So, I have partial comprehension, and I hate how I feel.

18. Gov Kodos

Gov Kodos Admiral Admiral

Gov Kodos on Mohammed's Radio, WZVN Boston
    The Doctor refers to it as a planet when he and Clara arrive. It's when he's telling her about the legend that all life began on 'that planet' in front of them.

19. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

First time in 50 years a New Zealander gets to write an episode and he balls it up...

20. throwback

throwback Captain Captain

The Doctor Who wiki identified that red whatever as a living star, and that red whatever had "eyes", a "nose", and a "mouth". This was not the first living star encountered by the Doctor; that honor would go to Torajii.