Which Captain Would you like to Serve Under?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Captain MAJ, May 10, 2010.

?

Which Captain would you like to serve under?

1. James T. Kirk

14.3%
  2. Spock

2.9%
  3. Christopher Pike

2.9%
  4. Jean-Luc Picard

32.9%
  5. Benjamin Sisko

31.4%
  6. Kathryn Janeway

10.0%
  7. Jonathan Archer

5.7%
  1. Captain MAJ

Captain MAJ Commander Red Shirt

I think this is an interesting question, Rather than, "Which Captain do you want to be?"

Who would you most want to serve under? Who would you like to take orders from? Who would you trust most to get you home safe? Why?

This is regardless of the ship, only the captain. I have limited the choices to the five series Captains and Spock since he was Captain of the Enterprise for awhile in STII.

On second thought, I'll throw Pike in there too.

My Choice would be Picard. There is something about him. He is a very strong character, he inspires confidence in his crew, demands respect, yet encourages expression and does not stifle his crew. Tactician, Diplomat, culturist, and he knows how to have a good time. :techman:

So what's your choice?

2. Arix

Arix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Hmmm, what a tough question! I went with Picard as well... To be honest I would probably want to serve under ALL the Captains, there's not a Captain on that list I don't like and wouldn't be happy to serve...

3. sbk1234

sbk1234 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll agree with Arix. I did pick PIcard, since he seems like the one I'd most like to learn to emulate personally, and is in the most control. I'd feel safest with him in command.

4. Kirby

Kirby Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I like Sisko's no-nonsense leadership style and I'm a big fan of baseball and I love to cook. More importantly, I'd also rather hang out at Quarks then 10 Forward...

5. Mary Ann

Mary Ann Knitting is honourable Admiral

I also voted for Sisko. He's no-nonsense yet approachable. I respect his character more as I think it's more challenging to be in charge of a station like DS9 than a starship. Also I'd love to swap recipes with him.

6. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Sisko. No question. He is one cool cat of a character.

7. Lor'Vela

Lor'Vela Captain Captain

Kirk and Picard would be my first choices. Ultimately, I think I would choose Picard. There's something about him that seems more... rational.

8. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

Janeway seems to be the most nice of all- however I'd have to go with Sisko. Janeway and Picard a close second.

Sisko seems approachable, more like an everyday type of person.

Janeway seems like she wanted to connect with the crew which is not a bad thing at all.

Picard really cares about his crew, but appeared somewhat a little distant, not as accessible to some crew members.

If you're talking promotion wise, Picard also seems fair with giving promotions.

He also seemed fair with giving some a fair chance, like the Bajoran ensign from the academy.

9. SFRabid

SFRabid Commodore Commodore

I went with Sisko. He is more laid back and personable. I think he takes care of his people.

Picard would be at the bottom of my list. Serving under him would lead to my courtmarshal. The first time he used the Prime Directive to let a planet full of people die I'd hack the computers and beam him to that planet.

10. indolover

indolover Fleet Captain

Picard or Sisko.

Picard is one you can look up to. you know he is a seat of reason and judgement, and would be able to sus out a situation to a tee. He also gains respect by earning the trust of his crew.

Sisko is more no-nonsense and more aggressive than Picard, but he is fair in his judgments and has his crew's best interests at heart.

I'd want Picard in a diplomatic situation, or a situation that at first was difficult to figure out a solution. Sisko would be best to serve under in a military situation, or where the crew had to fight to get its way.

11. Arix

Arix Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I was rather tempted to choose Sisko for the same reasons, and I think ultimately I'd want to be like Worf and serve under both Picard and Sisko! :lol:

And stepping outside the Captain for a minute, I'd also find it hard to choose between serving on the Ent-D (I mean, its the flagship, boldly going where no one has gone before!) or on DS9 - I'd probably do a few years of adventuring on the Ent-D, then settle down on DS9.

And as awesome as Quark's is, Ten Forward does have Guinan... ;)

12. Luther Sloan

Luther Sloan Captain Captain

Sisko was great because it seemed like he was a Captain you could talk to (like in the episode "Adversary"). Picard didn't seem like a Captain that you can talk to so easily about things (if you were a lowly crew member). I mean, Picard had a hard time dealing with children even. I imagine Riker was the one who crew members went to if they needed some type of advice about something. Plus, Sisko was a very communicative father that spent time with Jake (whenever he had the chance). That type of attitude and perspective goes a long way when it comes to being a leader.

13. RegFan

RegFan Commodore Commodore

Archer, with Picard as a close second. He seems quite moral and he cares about his crew a lot. He also doesn't seem as distant as Picard. On the other hand, I'd probably feel safer serving under Picard. If Kirk and Sisko were real persons, I wouldn't like them very much. Janeway made some really bad decisions.

14. barnaclelapse

barnaclelapse Commodore Commodore

Picard. If I die I can at least die knowing he won't be laughing his ass off at the end of the episode.

15. GalaxyClass1701

GalaxyClass1701 Captain Captain

By far Sisko he isn't a hard ass and I find him quite inspiring.

16. Avon

Avon Commodore Commodore

what no option for Captain Sulu on the Excelsior?

oh well, eeny meeny miney picard

17. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Are we going to have a new poll of this issue every month or just every other month now?

23rd century = Captain Kirk
    24th century = Captain Jellico
    22nd century = put me in stasis for 100 years or so

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

In no particular order: Sisko, Pike, Archer. *Maybe* Picard.

19. Nightdiamond

Nightdiamond Commodore Commodore

I just realized Maj, technically Riker could be a candidate too, since he was made a captain in the movie.

I think he has the same command presence as the others - seems relaxed and approachable too.

But the main thing with TNG, is that the authority figures on there don't really seem accessible to lower ranking crew members.

They seem a little more colder and stick within their inner group more.

Picard, Geordi and even Riker would act annoyed or distant when interacting with some crew members, in certain episodes.

Only in some episodes, most of the time they seem easy going.

Sisko playing baseball or hanging out at with the other crew members, or being one of Worf's best men, is what sealed it -if Picard did something like that, I might have edged towards him.

Janeway was the same way, but I didn't get quite enough info from her to make her first on the list.

Last edited: May 12, 2010
  20. Nerys Ghemor

Nerys Ghemor Vice Admiral Admiral

Sisko, easily. With very few incidents to the contrary, I trust him to exercise good judgment in placing and developing his personnel, and I trust him above any of the other commanders to make wise decisions when it comes to crunch time--might he be intimidating to some? Yes, but I would have confidence in him. Plus, it's not like Sisko is without diplomatic cred--his balancing act as Emissary more than proves he's capable of handling it. He can speak softly when he needs to, but there's no doubt he's carrying a big stick and he's not afraid to use it. He is, in fact, the only Starfleet captain on that list I know for sure I would willingly serve under.

(Trek XI Pike, however...if I saw more from him, I think he might be a good possibility as well, but I haven't yet seen enough from him to be AS sure as I am with Sisko.)

Picard I would not trust to handle a crisis situation, or not to abandon me for some political purpose. I also do not trust that Picard would be able to accept me as I am, which is a member of his own species but with very different beliefs and opinions than his. Nor could I ever trust him. On both sides, I do not believe the working relationship would be a very successful one.

Kirk--I cannot respect him, thanks to the way he treats women. I would never know if I was getting a fair performance appraisal or appropriate mission assignments, thanks to his wandering eye. He was a man of action, yes, but not as tempered as Sisko, and sometimes downright reckless and did not seem to have much regard for the lives under his command. (Whereas we see that Sisko was VERY much tormented by that, and did not take his subordinates' lives lightly.)

Janeway and Archer...I do not trust either one's decision-making capacity sufficiently, or their ability to see past their whims in the moment. Someone that wildly inconsistent would scare the hell out of me.