What will be the Best Comic Film of 2016

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dales, Jun 30, 2015.

1. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually I'd say the X-Men movies are feeling far more played out right now than the Marvel movies, with every movie tackling the same tired themes of alienation and "mutant rights" that we've time and time again.

At least with Civil War there's the fun in seeing Spidey and a bunch of newer characters we haven't seen before, and I also thought the Russo brothers did a good job making Winter Soldier feel a lot fresher and edgier than the standard cookie-cutter Marvel movie.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Fake-out deaths, patently absurd plot points (SHIELD has the resources and manpower to build three flying aircraft carriers below DC, in total secret? Really?!), a third act that, like every single other MCU movie, climaxes in a big-ass explosionific throw-down, then concludes with set-ups for future movies... Winter Soldier felt fairly standard MCU for me. (I did like it, mind; I just wasn't blown away.) Whereas the climax of DoFP was built around Xavier trying to talk Mystique out of her murderous vendetta.

Metacritic Winter Soldier score: 70
    Metacritic Days of Future Past score: 74

3. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

My expectations are

Batman V Superman

X-Men Apocalypse: aka Crowded as F*ck by Fox

Captain America: Civil War aka Iron man 4 aka Crowded as F*ck by Marvel

Suicide Squad

Deadpool

Gambit

4. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

apocalypse is something different. it has nothing to do with mutant rights. marvel is just far more play out and fatigued now. age of ultron is proof of it, who would have thought Jurassic world will leave the film in the dust at the usa box office and marvel oversaturated the market because they release about 2 films a year. by the time xmen apocalypse comes out it will be 2 yers since the last film.

5. Enterprise is Great

Enterprise is Great Vice Admiral Admiral

Either Batman versus Superman or X-Men Apocalypse. And hopefully Suicide Squad.

6. Dales

Dales Captain Captain

I am so looking forward to suicide squad because of one character. Harley Quinn

7. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I don't know. I'm way too excited for them. I think they're all going to be frigging awesome. I have faith in Marvel, Snyder, and Ayer.

But of all of them, the ones I'm most apprehensive about are the Fox properties.

Apocalypse because if the rumours of the Mystique love triangle are true, and they give too much screen time to Jlaw just because she's a star. I like the characters to serve the story/movie, not the other way around. Singer is notorious for mistreating comic characters. If he can repeat what he did on DOFP I'll be happy.

Gambit is a bit of a question mark too with no info and the potential disaster with a bad Cajun accent if Tatum can't pull it off. But I like Wyatt, and I'm pretty intrigued they got a comic writer to pen the script. He also did some great episodes for the original X-men cartoon which I loved.

But Fox is starting to earn my trust based on DOFP and what I've seen from F4 and Deadpool.

So we'll see! I'm super pumped for next year. From this Christmas to next we get:

7 Comic movies
    2 Star Wars movie
    The Revenant
    Fantastic Beasts
    Warcraft & Assassins Creed(Hopefully)

And a smattering of mindless popcorn flicks thrown in between.

I'm going to be spending a lot of time in Movie theaters that year.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Isn't Age of Ultron, Avengers 2.0? It is Avengers 2, they just went with a subtitle instead of the number.

9. wulfio

wulfio Captain Captain

I'm sure he means Avengers 2.5.

10. Mr Light

Mr Light Admiral Admiral

There's no way Apocalypse doesn't HEAVILY feature Jennifer Lawerence. She's a rising international super star. And it's the last movie in her contract and they know they'll never get her back.

11. M.A.C.O.

I think so too, unfortunately. Kinberg said Apocalypse will conclude the Beast x Mystique romance subplot from First Class. Since they couldn't really address it in DOFP.

With all the moving parts in Apocalyspse

Xavier
    Magento
    Wolverine
    Beast
    Mystique
    Cyclops
    Havok
    Jean
    Storm
    Nightcrawler
    Jubilee
    Quicksilver
    Scarlet Witch
    Psylocke
    Moira Mactaggert
    Angel
    Apocalypse

It would be a real shame if JLaw pulled focused because she's a big star. Even though she didn't want to do these movies anymore and only came back for DOFP and Apocalypse because of contract obligations.

12. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Have we heard about Scarlet Witch being in Apocalypse? I don't remember hearing that anywhere. I've heard about Quicksilver, but not his sister.

13. M.A.C.O.

She was in a deleted scene of DOFP, when she asks Logan his name. However it was cut from the movie. They have an actress, but no word on whether she'll be in the movie.

14. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

If I may speak for those who aren't especially interested in superhero movies, the only one I'm really looking forward to is Suicide Squad. It's about a bunch of bad-asses being bad-ass, plus Harley wearing tiny pants. Based on this I'm not sure it will interest female viewers much, but having a featured female character still puts it above most of its competitors.

15. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

Not ahead of X-Men, with JLaw's Mystique, plus the new Storm and Jean.

Not ahead of Civil War, which has Black Widow and Agent 33.

Ahead of BvS? Possibly.

16. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

BvS has Wonder Woman, who does appear to be playing a prominent role.
    SS also has Katana, and Enchantress.
    Fantastic Four has Invisible Woman.

17. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Is that a feminist statement? ;)

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Don't look at me, I didn't name her.