Arm the decanonizer!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Ghost, Jun 2, 2015.

1. Karzak

Karzak Commodore Commodore

The short version: Don't like it? Don't watch it.

2. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

The short version: Don't like the thread? Don't read or reply to it.

See how that works both ways?

3. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

Change Picard's wording to no currency so all the other money statements aren't in conflict.

Umm, Captains can withhold pay.

Admittedly the costume could have been better, but I like the concept behind the character.

In Insurrection we saw Picard enjoying non-classical music, decanonize all the classical music from Picard's play list and substitute Latin dance music.

")

4. Trek Survivor

Trek Survivor Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

No way. I thought the Xindi arc was great (and something actually new for Trek). The temporal war was a good idea, but not very well defined and clumsily wrapped up.

100% YES!

I get frustrated by the amount of OTT love DS9 gets... did these people forget some of the rubbish the last two seasons threw at us!?

Don't get me wrong, DS9 up to season 5 is a fantastic show... but the wheels started to come off big time in season six, and the Sisko-as-prophet thing is the poster boy for a lot of that disappointment.

Yep, I group this in my disappointment with DS9 later seasons as above, though I am aware it first came up in the generally-excellent season 5.

Yep, despite what its critics go on about, Enterprise did often try new things for Trek. It wasn't afraid to play around some with the accepted approach to Trek. Sometimes it worked, sometimes it didn't, but at least it was daring enough to try (take note Voyager!). The Xindi arc was a success.

Well, so did TNG and DS9 - it was certainly a well used Trek concept.

5. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just a dialogue thing: I'd get rid of that odd line in "Turnabout Intruder" that implies that women can't be starship captains in Kirk's time.

Frankly, I think it's easy enough to rationalize that line away, or just sweep it under the rug, but it's there and some people still take it literally and treat it as "canon" so . . . begone with it!

6. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The Xindi arc is a personal thing, I much rather would have preferred a build up towards the Romulan Wars. Not immediately using the Romulans the whole time but building stories towards it.
    I could imagine other species being affected by their expansion or being displaced by it as they leave their home systems to find new places to live or start stealing resources from other civilizations for their own war effort against the Romulans.

We know the Xindi will never be mentioned in Classic, TNG, DSN, or Voy so I see no reason to introduce them and build them up as a significant threat before Classic.

Sorry but Time Travel barely never works out in most sci fi shows and movies so having an arc dedicated to various factions from different time periods fighting each other while manipulating the time stream is just asking for problems.

And Time Travel-Reset Button stories really need to go as they in general always pointless filler.

And yes, I agree that the whole idea that women could not be Starfleet captains was plain stupid.

7. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

The Temporal Cold War AND the Xindi arc.

By binning all that crud, we'd have had a patchy season (the remains of seasons 1 & 2) and a very good one (most of season 4).

8. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This just came up in another thread - there's been some great stuff written about how the Borg's objective is actually the exact same one as the Federation's - especially the TNG Federation. A great deal of that show has Picard and Co. running about in a very superior fashion schooling alien cultures on the error of their ways, which is that their ways are not the Federation's ways. So, basically, the Federation is about assimilating cultures too. Granted they don't do it violently (for the most part), but they do it by a kind of technological/ economic coercion - Oh, we have the Prime Directive, so we can't help you out and give you access to our magical technology until you conform to our values. So, the conflict with the Borg comes down to two cultures with different philosophies (individualistic versus collective), but both believing their way is infinitely superior and that other culture's adopting their ways would help and improve the culture in question if they would simply conform to it. Since TNG reflects the American/ Western culture's assumption of the superiority of its values of individualism, secular culture, and problem-solving through technology, it can be easy for audiences to miss the overbearing and condescending nature of this conceit.

Ah, that reminds me - I'd remove the far more offensive smirky remark Spock makes to Yeoman Rand at the end of The Enemy Within about the evil Kirk having some "interesting qualities". I love that episode and that line makes me just want to throw up. It's a hideously gross wink and nudge at women, "you say no but you really love it when a man tries to rape you."

Decanonize: The Search for Spock through The Undiscovered Country. I realize that would mean also decanonizing Unification (no great loss) and Spock Prime in the JJ-verse (infinite improvement). This particular hideous reset button tends to get a pass among Trekkies, but I cannot fathom why. It undercuts the power of Spock's death, and was a crassly commercial decision. Plus, we could really have done without all of those movies. By TVH everyone was no longer playing the characters, they were playing parodies of the characters. Truly can't stand 'em. TVH is mildly entertaining, but the others are kinda awful.

9. Quinton O'Connor

Quinton O'Connor Commodore Commodore

Those are my two favorite seasons of Trek, actually.

10. Gingerbread Demon

Gingerbread Demon I love Star Trek Discovery Premium Member

And get rid of that scene in Star Trek 6 where Scotty says he "bought a boat" as in purchased a boat.

11. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Obligatory TATV mention.

There are a couple of annoying things in TOS I've been thinking about recently:

1) The explanation in 'Balance of Terror' about why no-one has seen a Romulan. The whole thing was concocted for the racism-against-Spock subplot, and it lumbered the continuity with nuclear weapons used in space battles, and with the Fed having fought a war against a species that they never saw, including no dead bodies, and peace treaty established via ham radio.

2) The ban on genetic engineering due to the rise of warmongering 'supermen'. By the 24th century, the Federation had somehow overcome its paranoia enough to permit genetic cures, but for some reason it is still impossible for someone to have their intelligence, strength or immune system enhanced without them becoming a psychopath or mad in some other way. Except for Julian Bashir.

12. Gingerbread Demon

That is just very convenient. His family is protected by a PPDF (plot protection deviation field) so no one notices that.

13. Ghost

Ghost Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I also somewhat had the idea that the ban had been imposed at the time to prevent the rise of a society of 'Have's (genetically enhanced people) and 'have nots' (baseline people) which could result in some genetic enhanced elite taking over human society rather than being a part of it.

In the 24th Century they probably could control and monitor the more dangerous genetic modification procedures but allow the regular harmless ones to be available for all of society who would have full access to it as there is no more limitation like money.

14. T'Girl

While the spelling in the script was different, during TNG there was a mention of a "Xindi" starbase.

This, I would have loved it if the general theme was more "with the exception of our advanced technology, we are just like you."

That line works perfectly if Spock and Rand were actually very close friends, it's exactly the sort of thing one girlfriend would say to another after such an experience.

Spock and Rand are "girlfriends."

I took "center of the galaxy" to mean a general region, and not a pin point. It's like saying "mid-west America," it's an area, not a spot.

Might I ask why?

")

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  15. Gingerbread Demon

Because they don't use money in the 23rd Century. So how could Scotty buy a boat?

And that other quote isn't mine about the black hole

16. T'Girl

Oh please, there's tonnes of dialog about there being money, the extremely few no money lines are the odd ones out.

McCoy: "Money I got."

Meh it happens, since changed.

:)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2015
  17. eyeresist

eyeresist Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He did certain favours with which he felt ... uncomfortable.

18. Lapis Exilis

Lapis Exilis Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

No offense, but if you have girlfriends who would say to you after you have been violently attacked by a would-be rapist that the man had 'wink, wink, nudge, nudge' "interesting qualities" - you have some pretty messed up girlfriends. Having had a girlfriend or two (or five) who has been attacked and/or raped, I cannot imagine making light of their traumatic experience in such a way.

19. Gingerbread Demon

LOL that made me laugh so much....

20. Chronos

Chronos Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

ENT: Temporal Cold War Arc - None of it made sense. And not in the "Because time travel is complicated." sense. It just doesn't make sense in general. It was one of those plot elements that was never really thought through before it was implemented -- which is especially bad in this case because it was an entire story arc rather than an isolated episode.

Star Trek 09 / Star Trek Into Darkness - Doesn't really add anything of value to the canon. Into Darkness especially just being a mashup of mismatched Trek references and changes which don't even make sense in the context of a new timeline. For example: What happened to Khan? He doesn't even sort of look like Khan, and he doesn't act like Khan. Likewise with every other character. The divergent timeline does not explain the inconsistencies.

TOS: The Cage - Just remove the part where Spock smiles.

TOS: The Alternative Factor - A complete mess of jumbled scientific terms which somehow stretched antimatter into being capable of destroying the entire galaxy. Not even red matter is that destructive.

TNG: Sub Rosa - I find it difficult to believe that the women in Dr. Crusher's family have had a secret candle ghost lover for the last five hundred or so years.

VOY: Threshold - The episode began with the writers finding a loophole in Roddenberry's "You can't go faster than warp 10" rule. Then it segued into an exposition of their inability to grasp the fundamentals of how evolution works. It ended with Janeway and Paris throwing their only two children out of the ship because they didn't want to make their respective family reunions any more awkward.

VOY: Future's End (I/II) - Completely ignores the Eugenics Wars.

VOY: The episode where Kes comes back.

ENT: These are the Voyages / Star Trek: Generations / TNG: Skin of Evil - Star Trek is REALLY bad at killing off characters in a dramatic manner. All of these character deaths feel really forced.

Inconsistencies regarding World War III and the Eugenics Wars. Were they the same thing? Different series offer different explanations. How many people died? Different series, different numbers. Then there's Voyager's time travel episode which takes place during the supposed time of the Eugenics Wars...

Inconsistencies regarding use of money.