La-La Land Records to release 4-disc DS9 soundtrack set!

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ScottDS, Jun 30, 2012.

1. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

A few bars usually gave the composer away for me as well. Bell was especially easy because there's a particular harmonic progression that he beats into the ground. Chattaway's orchestrations are leaner than the other two, with more usage of solo instrumentation. McCarthy is just a big wall of sound.

In Enterprise, it got increasingly harder to identify the composer partly because their usual patterns were broken but also because there were more of them.

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

I have mine and I have to say it is fantastic! It is interesting to see that McCarthy did steal from himself, he uses almost the exact same cue from "The Die is Cast" in the Generations soundtrack. I thought that was really interesting

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Other way around. Generations came first.

I once saw a quote from McCarthy saying that he reused the Generations cues to see if anyone was paying attention. Obviously a lot of us were. (Or maybe he meant he wanted to see if Berman was paying attention? Berman -- and Lauritson, I guess -- discouraged the composers from reusing themes and motifs, and maybe he was testing to see if they would even notice if he did. That's just speculation, though.)

4. asp7485

asp7485 Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I have mine! Man, it is good - much more dynamic than the TNG soundtrack from last year. The music from "What You Leave Behind" puts a lump in my throat.

5. Enterpriserules

Well I was listening! Thanks Chris :techman:

6. Section 31 1/2

Section 31 1/2 Ensign Red Shirt

I always found it amazing how Chattaway was able to work in a Leitmotif for Species 8472 and The Borg in Voy's Scorpion and the Dominion in "A Call To Arms" on Ds9 all within the same time period and get away with it.

7. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I was confused by the shipping charges to the UK:

ALL OTHER COUNTRIES: $9.00 for the first CD and $2.50 for each
    additional CD. – (don’t forget to add $2.50 for each disc in multiple CD sets)

So $16.50 in addition to the $49.98?

8. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

I liked that Chattaway added those particular leitmotif's from Voyager briefly into future episodes too. It truly is a great shame that the composers talents were continually hampered by the producers, Trek's music should have been more than it was.

9. DarkHorizon

DarkHorizon Captain Captain

Yes - that's what my shipping came to.

10. Art Vandelay

Art Vandelay Captain Captain

Why the confusion? I think the shipping charge calculation is worded quite clearly.

11. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

Since they were both the 1997 series finales, I thought Chattaway might have been writing and recording them at the same time; "Call to Arms" aired about three weeks after "Scorpion".

12. Section 31 1/2

Living in Canada and having to deal with customs I probably won't get this for a long time. It shipped last Wednesday and that's the last update on the tracker. Generally, when I order from the United States I almost end up forgetting about what I've ordered before it finally comes.

13. timtonruben359

timtonruben359 Captain Captain

I'm in Canada too and my CDs were shipped on Wednesday as well and I just checked my tracking status and it says that is successfully cleared customs yesterday so I'm hoping to get it by the end of the week!

14. Section 31 1/2

No such update on mine :/

Yesterday was a Stat Holiday in Ontario so perhaps I'm just a day behind.

15. jb1234

jb1234 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I've listened to the first disc so far. There's a lot of surprising material on here (like an electric guitar popping up in one cue). There's some wallpaper on the disc but overall, the selection of cues is very sensitive, much more so than the TNG set.

16. Malformed

Malformed Lieutenant Red Shirt

I'm glad to hear that jb. DS9 and TOS are my two favorite series and I love the TOS box set.

I listened to the cues available for DS9 on LaLa's site and I can't say they excited me much.

I'd love to hear more feedback as you and others get and listen to your set

17. Daddy Todd

Daddy Todd Commodore Commodore

I've had my copy for a few days and just got around to putting it into iTunes and listening to some tonight. It's enjoyable, but that's as excited as I can get about it.

I expect I'll keep it handy for when I get back into reading DS9 fiction. It would make great music to read by.

18. MickJo1701

MickJo1701 Commander Red Shirt

Not long finished listening and I'm astounded that we finally have this released, I was looking forward to it far more than the TOS collection. There's a touch of sonic wallpaper on the McCarthy disk but beside that it is gold to listen too, particularly the Chattaway and Bell material.

19. Enterpriserules

I am really liking this the more I listen too it. DS9 does not get many major release so I hope this does well so we get more DS9 stuff!

20. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

I clicked "PayPal" and the postage to Australia was calculated for me.

Eeep.