AMC's The Walking Dead Season 1 Discussion & Spoilers

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Oct 30, 2010.

1. SicOne

SicOne Commodore Commodore

Might be in for some surprises next week, though, for the season finale. One thing they have studiously avoided in the comics is discussing exactly what caused the walking dead. There has been some exposition on possible causes, but in the comics the scientist who allegedly knew a lot about the cause was a pathological liar.

2. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

^ Could you please spoiler code that? I'm not caught up on the comics, and I would have preferred not knowing that. I bet I'm not the only one, either.

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

I will fly to Nebraska to get some then..lol

4. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

I loved the CDC Wildfire facility must be a nod to The Andromeda Strain.;)

5. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

I know, but when he dies he will become a Zombie. Which not only is a terrible fate, but means he will be part of the problem. Wouldn't he prefer to be killed rather than join the Zombie horde?

I've been having Zombie Apocalypse dreams occasionally since 1979, but I actually haven't had one since Walking Dead started.

6. joVuNik

joVuNik Lieutenant Red Shirt

Excellent show so far, when I watched the premier a few weeks back I didn't know what to expect (didn't know about the comics) and I'm not a big Zombie guy but this show is absolutely awesome! It is the best show of the fall, no doubt.

Cant believe next week is the finale!!!

Some thoughts/one question:

Merle must be behind the camp attack (as others mention), perhaps he knew his brother was not there (he may have seen him in the city/stove was still on) and this was his revenge...

CDC scene definitely Lost 'homage' I thought. And then the door opens with the light - fantastic epic scene! Awesome.

So why (maybe from the comics explanation) do they call the zombies geeks??? Is there a story behind that?

Last edited: Nov 30, 2010
  7. melancholymecha

melancholymecha Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ I know "geek" was a term used at sideshows for a freak whos specialty was to eat live animals... that's the only connection that I can come up with.

8. joVuNik

joVuNik Lieutenant Red Shirt

^ Cool didn't know that - thanks.

So how long is the wait until season two? Halloween 2011???
    That's too long man!!!?

9. MilleniumLance

MilleniumLance Captain Captain

if theyare smart, they will run 6 eps early summer take a break, and have the end of 2nd season run with 6 ep in Oct 2011 Fear Fest, for a 12 ep season 2

10. PsychoPere

That's been the speculation since the season two announcement was made, based on the idea that AMC would likely again want to bring the show to air during Fearfest. AMC also has to worry about programming for their other original series, like Mad Men, Breaking Bad, The Killing, and Hell on Wheels, the latter two of which are both set to premiere next year. That makes five original series that AMC has to schedule next year, an unprecedented situation for the network, and I'm sure they'd want to spread those series out over the course of the year, rather than having several of them airing concurrently. On the plus side, whenever season two of The Walking Dead does debut, at least it will be a full thirteen episode season.

11. LitmusDragon

LitmusDragon Commodore Commodore

I thought the CDC scene was more an homage to "I Am Legend" than Lost, though I suppose the Lost homage works too.

Love this show and the direction they're taking it. :techman:

12. Zombie

Zombie Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's actually a cool theory.

13. PsychoPere

I just came across some interesting news, courtesy of Deadline Hollywood. The article confirms that AMC is considering launching season two during October, in order to coincide with their Fearfest programming.

The other, and even bigger, piece of news is that Darabont is considering not having a writing staff for season two. Instead, he is apparently thinking about having all thirteen scripts for next season come from freelancers, likely with himself either co-writing or doing rewrites on each episode as he did this season. The article also states that he has already let go the season one writing staff.

14. Cutter John

Cutter John Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not a lot of limestone in GA.

You folks haven't done a lot of fishing apparently. Unless its contantly disturbed or polluted, any large body of water is going to develop its own eco system after a few years. Old quarries can be great places for fishing.

http://www.bassing.co.za/bassingforum/content/133-dayatquarry.html

15. RJDiogenes

RJDiogenes Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion Premium Member

That's very odd, considering how well the show did, both in terms of quality and ratings. I wonder if he didn't get along with them or something. :confused:

16. SicOne

They will ship to you, which should save you in air fare.

Not to mention the incredible carry-on cost as you try to get several long comic boxes onto the plane...

17. SicOne

I don't think they referred to them as geeks in the comic series, but in some zombie-apocalypse short fiction the Zs are called "geeks".

18. Landed

Landed Lieutenant

This season, Darabont wrote two of the episodes himself. Two more were written by freelancers not on staff. And of the remaining two, Darabont cowrote/rewrote.

Seems to me that the "staff" was pretty useless.

19. PsychoPere

Having that much involvement in the final scripts doesn't necessarily mean that the writing staff was useless in breaking the stories while in the writers' room. Also, writing and/or co-writing and/or re-writing four episodes would seem to be significantly different than taking on a similar task for a thirteen episode season.

Kurt Sutter, creator of FX's Sons of Anarchy and a definite fan of The Walking Dead so far, thinks that Darabont would be making a mistake to not have a writing staff next season.

20. Landed

Landed Lieutenant

I think he's up to the task. This is Frank we're talking about, not Joss Whedon.

He could always hire one a few eps in if he ends up in over his head.