La-La Land to release 15-disc original series score set

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by Harvey, Aug 11, 2012.

1. Tallguy

Tallguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Going through the end of season 3 recently I was amazed at how many episodes were (or seemed to be) tracked entirely with season 1 music or even the two pilots!

2. TV's Frank

TV's Frank Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm actually watching many season 3 episodes for the first time ever and was surprised at how much "Wink of an Eye" was tracked with "The Cage".

3. Tallguy

That's probably the one I was thinking of.

4. Ssosmcin

Ssosmcin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Some of those cues were rerecorded as library music specifically for the 3rd season. There are a lot of first and second season cues redone. However, some episodes, like Lights of Zetar, do take the actual original cues from Where No Man Has Gone Before and so on.

5. DarthBrett

DarthBrett Ensign Newbie

It would be kind of cool to see those season 3 episodes re-cut using the re-recorded library cues instead of the original Pilot cues. Just for shits & giggles.

6. KirkPicard

KirkPicard Captain Captain

Here is a link to a playlist containing the as heard episodic soundtrack of almost every TOS episode with the use of this boxset. Quite a feat and a remarkable project that I often thought of undertaking!

Last edited by a moderator: Jun 14, 2014
  7. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Went to the link above. So I am now listening to LaLaLand's efforts without paying for it; nor to the original owner LLL would pass on some licensing money to. Nor are the composers getting the cut I believe they would still be getting from mechanical royalties (hard copy CD sales).

And so it goes.

Do I have the integrity to shut off the free music?

8. Tallguy

He even has download links.

I wish he'd post tracklists someplace though.

9. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I did; but because it was bedtime; and because it wasn't really pleasant background music. It is so episodic, no pun intended, it kept distracting me with each different snippet and change.

I might be wrong about the composers; these were "works for hire" so they probably don't have a share in the publishing rights and royalties. Maybe it's just two companies getting cheated. Do I care less?

If I were LaLa or the original copyright owner I'd be pissed though.

10. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Speaking of episodic playlists, I've finally gotten around to archiving my box set on my computer so I can save the music on my new smartphone, and I'm thinking I'd like to create a playlist for "Mirror, Mirror" that would incorporate the Alexander Courage library tracks (which I think were "Fight on Captain's Theme" and "Sad and Thoughtful on Captain's Theme"). I don't want to try to recreate the entire episode score, just insert those two cues into the existing "Mirror, Mirror" track list between the appropriate cues so that they're in the same order they were in the episode. Where would be the right place to insert them? Looking at the track list, I'm guessing they could both go between "Pretty Marlena" and "Goodbye Marlena." Does that sound about right?

11. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

It looks like many of the videos have already been deleted. I've removed the link from the post above.

12. Indysolo

Indysolo Commodore Commodore

Thank you.

Neil

13. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

14. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Thanks, digits.

15. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

No problem.

People need to get paid for their work.

:techman:

16. Ssosmcin

I'm fairly certain you have to alternate the cues. "Pretty Marlena" then "Fight On..." then "Good-Bye" followed by "Sad and Thoughtful..." which should be the Kirk's Speech Music, right? Doing this from memory....

I also put "Mudd's Perfidy" from the second season library cues at the very start.

17. Christopher

Oh yeah, for the opening shot on Halka, I remember. Still, I don't find it necessary to add that. I just want the original library cues that don't have a "home" elsewhere and that debuted in the episode in question -- I don't want to repeat cues that are already part of another complete score.

By the same token, I might include "Humoresque" in the "City on the Edge of Forever" playlist.

(In other news, yesterday I made a playlist from my Lost in Space CDs consisting of cues from the first seven episodes in chronological order, using LIS Vol. 1 and Vol. 3 from The Fantasy Worlds of Irwin Allen plus the 40th-anniversary set which includes later-season retakes of first-season cues, some of which were not included on the previous sets. The problem is that most of the tracks combine multiple cues, so there were two cues that I had to end up with two copies of each in order to get all the rest of the cues in the playlist.)

18. Ssosmcin

I did the same thing with Shore Leave, sticking the Mullendore Library cue "Impension" in the mix.

I did the same thing, combining all the cues. I actually did editing and whatnot to put them all in the right spots because I'm anal that way. That's another series with some great music, especially at the start of the run.

19. Christopher

^I don't appear to have the necessary software for editing the tracks, and I just tried to approximate the order with the available tracks.

Of course, if I really wanted a near-complete playlist of LiS's season-one music, I'd need to throw in the appropriate Bernard Herrmann tracks from The Day the Earth Stood Still and Beneath the Twelve-Mile Reef, and I think one other. But I don't have those soundtracks.

20. Tallguy

Audacity is free.

What episodes used the Herrmann stuff?