Trek Trailer with OZ

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by James T. Vader, Mar 9, 2013.

1. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Looking back on it, in the series, we can see Kirk was his own man out on patrol, but that was part of the Hornblower idea, wasn't it? An interpid human making his best judgement calls away from the chain of command and permission. I never got the sense - in the 79 anyway - that Kirk was young rebel troubling the grown ups. The punky rebel trope.

That's what I'm picking up now in these movie from our time. We're all ironic and psychodrama-y, so the punky rebel succeeding against the hidebound institution is "in." Okay. Not my thing, for whatever reason, but there it is.

2. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

But Kirk in the movie is nearly a decade younger than in the series. Surely people mature from their mid-twenties to their mid-thirties (at least in theory).

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I guess my biggest problem with the Kirk character is that we're told he's a genius but never are we really shown he's a genius. He follows breadcrumbs that are laid out in the open to get to the conclusion (i.e. he's lucky). I'm hoping that with Into Darkness that we see a more fully formed character that comes up with solutions on his own. More that he's in control of events rather than being swept up in them.

4. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Well, I never take the genius label seriously anymore (hell, according to IQ scores, I qualify as a "genius", and I'm hardly that), so that didn't bother me much.

I think a lot of people are disappointed because a throwaway line in a pilot that was not likely meant to air (the airing of TV pilots is now pretty standard but was once unusual) is not matched by the onscreen portrayal of Kirk as a young man in his twenties. And even if the throwaway line is worth conceding, that Kirk was not the one who grew up in the alternate timeline. In broad strokes, the characters are similar, with the caveat that Pine's Kirk is a decade less mature and experienced than Shatner's Kirk was when we first met him. That gives the filmmakers a lot of leeway in how they want to portray the characters, as far as I'm concerned. YMMV

5. BillJ

I was actually talking about the Pike line from the new Star Trek 2009 about Kirk wanting to be the only "genius level offender".

6. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I'm not altogether sure that the line was meant to be taken as Gospel Truth, any more than Mitchell's "stack of books with legs" crack was in the TOS pilot. Putting Pike's line in context:

Kirk's aptitude-test scores may well have been quite high, but the exchange sounds more than a little sarcastic.

7. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

That's how I took that exchange.

8. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

Now farm animals, on the other hand...

9. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Some fans: "We want something new."

Is this any different to Reliant in ST II having a roll bar. And its nacelles underneath?

10. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

How would having two engineering hulls and navigational deflectors be a problem? No one complined when they cropped up on Federation ships in Trek videogames during the 90's. In fact, they look pretty damn cool.

I notice also that, as well as the new TOS-style bridge dome, this Newton's registry is (unlike the ones in the last movie) written in the same font as the Enterprise's.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's very different. It's supid and illogical.

12. plynch

plynch Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ha! Yeah. Again, this just personal preference.

Compare the 1971 Gene Wilder Wonka, fully-formed, magical, archetypal really, to the recent Johnny Depp Wonka where we're shown his upbringing and how he got messed up by his father. Now he's one of us, messed-up with psychodrama baggage. I guess I like things a bit more mythical? Maybe it's just that I want things the way they were (like 1971 when seeing Trek as a kid).

Definitely ymmv, and best wishes to all whose does.

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

I understand the appeal of "the way things were" (I am an historian by profession). My favourite film director is Alfred Hitchcock and I've spent probably too much money amassing a collection of his films (including buying separate releases of the same film in order to get the substantial extras for each--usually I don't bother too much with extras). I also love old Bogart movies and old westerns and old film noir.

On the other hand, I also have a great appreciation for current movies and I don't often find myself wishing for something new to resemble something "classic". I simply grab a classic title off my shelf when I get a hankering for "the way it used to be".

Obviously, everyone has their own preferences and wants and that's fine. Perhaps I'm simply easy to please when it comes to movies (though I do think Blair Witch style "found footage" movies are a bad idea in principle, so I avoid them like the plague--though I know some people love them. Different strokes…).

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

And yet, almost every time we see young Kirk in a Star Trek tie-in novel or comic, over many decades of tie-ins, he's a "young rebel troubling the grown ups".

15. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I thought the 3D looked awful in the announcement trailer I saw with OZ, very concerned about the film now.

16. BillJ

But isn't that more a reinterpretation of the character based on the events of The Wrath of Khan/The Search for Spock?

17. The Wormhole

3D looks awful anyway. Except for Avatar, but that had the advantage of fifteen fucking years spent on its production.

18. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

The 3D looked great with the nine minutes in IMAX. :techman:

Still, it wouldn't be a big skiffy movie if someone online didn't pronounce themselves "worried" over a trailer. Why the hell "worry" about a movie? It's for fun.

19. The Wormhole

This is Star Trek. Our blood and our breath, our childhood and our home. We have every right to be worried if everything isn't just so, just right. Like long talky scenes filmed in proper stage theatre manner, none of this shaky cam, lens flared action raves where everyone is constantly talking over each other.

Okay, in all seriousness, during my recent re-watching of Trek XI (first one since 2009) I did find the fact that everyone was talking over each other all the time really annoying.

20. chardman

chardman Vice Admiral In Memoriam

Boo fucking hoo. So ya don't like realism when it comes to the way people talk. Figures.