Rewatching Blake's 7

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Apr 22, 2013.

1. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Some very pretty women in that episode though.

This show does tend to have some questionable stuff happing. Usually they are pretty subtle about it but still its there.

2. diankra

diankra Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Oh, the "comedy rapist episode" as my sister calls it. Not one that tends to go down that well with women, to be honest, or even many men...

3. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Ya the whole Vlla's my pal was pretty stupid.

4. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

It does steer close to the edge, but at the end of the day we've heard/seen examples of atrocities committed by Federation troopers, and sadly this sort of thing goes on now, let alone thousands of years in the future :( Least the bad guys all get their comeuppance...well all except the Supreme Commander of course.

The episode does have some nice interplay between Vila/Tarrant and Vila/Servalan, and despite the circumstances there is something amusing about the notion of Servalan being "given" to Vila...

5. Candlelight

Candlelight Admiral Admiral

Like in Space Fall when Raiker is told to 'be discreet' about Jenna, then later slaps and warns her that she'll 'come around'.

6. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Yeah, although there's never any indication that Jenna is in similar danger from the rest of the prisoners which is a bit surprising.

7. Candlelight

They were supposed to be drugged... which kinda makes Jenna's situation with the entire complement of guards on board even more dangerous.

8. Candlelight

This is about a general rewatch of Blake's 7, and I think spoiler warnings are not relevant considering the age of the show.

Post whatever you like, it's not like we can all keep to the same schedule. :)

9. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Good point!

10. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Also, Blake, Gan and some others would have been protective of her, and not let the other prisoners touch her.

BTW, I am on season 4 now, just watched Power. Sad about Zen and the Liberator but they thought season 3 would be the last season, if they had known there was a season 4 then maybe the Liberator would still be around. Still, it's interesting so see the crew use their wits without their super ship to back them up. Of course, Orac and Avon knew how a lot of the Liberator's tech worked, like the teleporter, this always helps.

11. Candlelight

I doubt it. The flight deck was a very large set to store and reassemble each season, and I think there were mumblings in the BBC about downsizing it.

Scorpio was an OK replacement but I think something along the lines of a stolen Federation prototype would've been a better choice.

12. auntiehill

auntiehill The Blooness Premium Member

I never really liked Scorpio. The Liberator, besides having an awesome name, was large, alien and mysterious. Scorpio was just a fast ship with a kiss-ass of a computer. :lol:

13. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

Much as I love the Liberator, I do have a soft spot for Scorpio. Yes it had a teleport and the photonic drive but these necessities aside I think it would have been even more unbelievable if they'd just miraculously got another super ship. it was a hunk of junk compared to the Liberator, and most other ships, but this did give the show a slightly different angle in series 4.

14. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

If there show continued, i would have liked to have seen them sneak back to the Starworld base and hijack another Libertator type ship.

15. Starkers

Starkers Admiral Admiral

The System only had 2, and the other one blew up. It's not impossible they had a third, at the very least some of those Liberator style fighter craft they had may have still been knocking about.

16. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

Was it mentioned on screen they only had 2? I know they called them deep space vessels (or something similar) but I did not hear any reference on how many there where. Even so, after 2 years presumably they built more.

Speaking of that, was it ever mentioned who was fighting on 'Space Fall' obviously the Liberator was involved and its crew escaped the ship. We know know in 'Redemption' that the were slave uprisings so I wonder if it was a civil war of some type.

17. diankra

Liberator was DSV2 but there's no reason to assume there were only two.
    And problems with the set meant that there was talk of dumping Liberator each year, hence the cliffhangers to seasons one and two (which set up her destruction). But both times they decided not to make the change in the end.

Last edited: May 11, 2013
  18. Candlelight

The space battle in Space Fall indicated there were a couple at least, and given if DSV1 had survived (or even been there) they would've tried to have salvaged DSV2 but didn't. It's likely implied DSV2 engaged some other species with a handful of warships in a 'battle group', possibly like the ones seen in Redemption, and all were lost save for the Liberator.

We don't know the full extent of the System's fleet, and given Starworld was destroyed (or otherwise seriously munted) by Orac in Redemption we'll probably never know.

19. diankra

I'd always taken that as read, but after rewatching Redemption I'm not sure it's true.
    The surviving Alta is probably fatally injured (or rendered infunctional) when the guards teleported aboard Liberator are then teleported back just in time to throw their grenades at her, but there's no reason to suppose that does any harm to the actual System computer. Aside from anything else, the other DSV is still functioning fine afterwards (if not for long), and Orac only says he's scrambled the other DSV's weapons systems, not anything else.
    From what's onscreen, there's no reason to assume that the System and most of its assets didn't survive.

20. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

The Liberator is the best spaceship ever, better than the Lexx, better than the Jupiter 2, better than the Millenium Falcon, better than even the starship Enterprise

I'm sure no-one will disagree with me ;)