Would GR have liked DS9?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Enterprise1981, Dec 12, 2008.

1. Enterprise1981

Enterprise1981 Vice Admiral Admiral

In a number of ways, it goes against the premise of a utopian humanity with a "darker side" of the Trek universe. Trek purists did not particularly care for the premise of "In Pale Moonlight" where Sisko uses underhanded methods to bring the Romulans into the Dominion War. The idea that a group like Section 31 would still exist in an era of a more enlightened human society is also antithetical to Rodenberry's vision of the future.

These storylines, on the other hand, do tackle a major philosophical issue Bashir brought up in "Past Tense." "If something disastrous were to happen to the Federation, do we hold onto our principles." With the exception of the first Borg attack, main characters had rarely dealt with crises threatening the Federation's survival.

2. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

My first thought to the question "Would GR have liked DS9?" was "who cares?"

But that's not helpful, lol.

No I don't think he would have liked it if had been presented to him as an idea, complete with the story lines you mention and issues. However he would have liked its success.

3. Navaros

Navaros Commodore Commodore

This question always comes up and 'who cares' is a perfectly fine response.

DS9 is by far the best, most sophisticated Trek show regardless of if GR would have liked it or not. GR's feelings about it would be irrelevant.

4. Marie1

Marie1 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

And considering what went on in TOS, Kirk's violent tendencies, sarcastic diplomacy, and a different woman per episode... I'd say DS9 was improving... lol I'd like to think people are more like Sisko then Kirk, tbh.

5. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

TOS Roddenberry might have liked it.

The Roddenberry who began to believe all the crazy adulation that the most nutty Trek fans used to shower him with? The Roddenberry who began to believe the utopian future without money nonsense while at the same amassing millions of dollars from said fantasy? The Roddenberry who was in charge of the awful early seasons of TNG?

Who cares?

The real question is; do you like DS9?

6. Bacl

Bacl Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

We have a winner! Bravo. :techman:

7. c0rnedfr0g

c0rnedfr0g Commodore Commodore

winner winner chicken dinner

8. TheGodBen

TheGodBen Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I won?! :D Yes!!

What did I win, a cruise? Bath salts? Twin Peaks on DVD? Oh, the possibilities are endless!!

9. JNG

JNG Chief of Staff, Starfleet Command Rear Admiral

I don't like to see people trying to pigeonhole Gene Roddenberry as a creative talent or sum up his views on life, the universe and everything in a couple of words. It's typically people without an ounce of his creativity or spirit doing so.

There's no point confusing his vision of The Next Generation with what his vision would have been for Deep Space Nine. That's shortsighted. It was explicitly set in a different place with different kinds of people so this wouldn't really be an issue.

I personally feel he'd have liked the show and I think it honors his memory.

10. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did anyone else read the title, "Would Guns and Roses have liked DS9?" :guffaw:

11. darkwing_duck1

darkwing_duck1 Vice Admiral

TOS Gene would have liked the steady paycheck it represented...and would have written bad lyrics for the title theme to steal some of the residuals.

"Messiah" Gene (from the 70s college circuit though the mid 80s) would have ranted about the "betrayal" to "his ideals" it represented while still happily cashing the paychecks it brought him.

"Burned out hippy" TNG Gene would have been too busy drooling and forgetting who his friends were, while letting Richard Arnold and Mazalish (sp?) piss everybody off while his family cashed the paychecks it brought.

Cynical? Maybe...but true...

12. Balthier the Great

Balthier the Great Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Guns 'n' Roses would love DS9.

13. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I've never really got the whole "what would Gene have thought of this?" attitude by some fans. Personally I don't really care all that much about how others see the show, I'm more interested in what the show means to me and how I view and appreciate it. His opinion wouldn't influence my opinion on the show either way.

14. ALF

ALF Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Perhaps Axl and Slash would have enjoyed the war episodes but I think they'd have little "Patience" for the Emissary heavy "wormhole aliens" Bajoran religion plots.
    I think Axl would identify with Worf with the self destructive tendencies, and perhaps Slash would identify with... Morn??

Theme for Dominion Invasion: Back off bitch
    Worf fighting at Jem Hed'ar camp: Get in the Ring
    Any scene with Garak: Double Talkin' Jive
    Kira kicking ass: My Michelle
    Any scene on Risa: Paradise City

15. PKTrekGirl

PKTrekGirl Arrogant Niner Thug Admiral

I agree.

Don't know. Don't care.

TOS was a great show filled with very human (and flawed) heroes just trying to do the best they could...but with TNG, GR sold out his own legacy in favor of 80's PC silliness spouted by a bunch of just-barely developed characters who never became more than squeaky clean cardboard cutouts preaching about how wonderful and 'evolved' they were compared with everyone else in the universe. Meh.

So...do I care if GR would have 'liked' DS9?

Not in the slightest. :p

16. PKTrekGirl

Re: Would Guns & Roses have liked DS9?

You have no idea how badly I want to edit the title of this thread. :lol:

I won't do it at the top level...but I can't resist changing it for my own post. :techman:

17. indranee

indranee Vice Admiral Admiral

QFT.

18. HRHTheKING

HRHTheKING Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

If he appreciated good storytelling and strong characters, he would have liked DS9.

19. PKTrekGirl

^ Heh. Good answer. :techman:

20. Kirk-Fu

Kirk-Fu Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I think he'd be less likely to approve of the later seasons with the war. But I think he'd eventually learn to accept it.