X-MEN: Days Of Future Past (Casting, Rumors, Pics till release)

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 28, 2012.

1. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

That Quicksilver link just takes me back to the BBS homepage.

2. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

God Damn It.Go to Newsarama

3. Captain Craig

Captain Craig Vice Admiral Admiral

^^^^^
    Gotcha, this one?

Newsarama piece

4. Ethros

Ethros Vice Admiral Admiral

Whoa, please please please let this be the case (same actor for the role in Avengers too I mean)
    Plus as a big fan of American Horror Story I'm pleased with the casting

5. Turtletrekker

Yes, thank you. And the original link should be fixed.

6. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

Interesting development indeed. It would be very cool if Evan Peters plays Quicksilver in both Days of Future Past and The Avengers 2, even if there's no direct reference to each other.

7. Xavier_Storma

Xavier_Storma Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Great. This is going to be awesome... I mean look at the lineup. There has never in history of film ever... been a film with such a cast.
    X-MEN DAYS OF THE FUTUE PAST will be huge... and I mean it...

8. Nagisa Furukawa

Nagisa Furukawa Commander Red Shirt

Feige has confirmed there's this grey legal area where either CAN use them, he's also implied that it's a sort of first-come-first-served-and-keeps-them situation.

Now, after Whedon and Marvel's feelings being known on this subject for the past few weeks, the director of X-Men: Days of Future Past, a film that has already been shooting for a while, suddenly announces Quicksilver has been cast and will be in it.

About this "Maybe Whedon'll have the older version," Marvel's current model for Scarlet Witch is the 19-year old Saoirse Ronan, who said earlier today that she'd love to do it. Marvel's looking for British/European actors for the role. Evan Peters is 26 and American.

I'd LOVE to believe this is some sort of shared universe/both studios collaborating thing... but the much bigger cynic in me says that this is Fox preempting Marvel just because they can. That Singer's "Before he was an #Avenger" comment was not a hint at things to come, but a pithy remark. That while Whedon, who has expressed nostalgia for reading about the Maximoffs as well as wanting to make things "harder" for the Avengers by introducing characters who may not see eye to eye with them, genuinely seems to have crucial roles for them, Quicksilver's appearance in DoFP will be another pointless cameo in a film gorged on characters, probably getting one action sequence showing his power, nothing characterization wise. And Whedon may not get to use them at all just so Fox can spite them over a character they don't give a fuck about anyway.

Sounds exactly like Fox to me. And if he can't use 'em, I really, really feel bad for Whedon, who's seemed genuinely excited about their role in TA2.

9. kirk55555

kirk55555 Vice Admiral Admiral

It will be interesting if the characters are in both movies, but the guy they got for Quicksilver...doesn't look like a good Quicksilver. Even if they dyed his hair white and put him in a costume, he still wouldn't look much like Quicksilver. Hopefully if him and Scarlet Witch show up in Avengers 2 they'll have actors that look a bit more like the characters (something all the Marvel made movies have done fairly well).

10. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well Joss can't state the word mutant or refer to Pietro and Wanda's parentage in "Avengers 2" so it wouldn't be exactly the same as a shared universe. They'd just be using the same actors.

This is fascinating indeed.

Saorise Ronan briefly addresses the Scarlet Witch rumours.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/movienews.php?id=104696

Last edited: May 23, 2013
  11. Turtletrekker

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yeah, well Singer can't refer to the Avengers or use any of the characters from the MCU! Take that!:p;)

13. Davros

Davros Fleet Admiral Admiral

Mutant supremacy is the future!

14. kirk55555

I'd be fine with QS and SW being in avengers but not called mutants. Honestly, I'd like to see Marvel get the rights back to the X-Men. I do like First Class and I'm excited for DOFP, but I'd still like Marvel to get the rights back.

I've always wondered, do Fox have the rights to X-Men forever, as long as they keep making movies? That sounds really stupid, but its the feeling I've gotten from reading stuff like this.

15. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

Yes, it's a really shitty deal. But it was Marvel that was stupid enough at the time to make it. Thankfully they have clauses that makes rights revert if the studio that they sold it too doesn't make movies. That's why certain film rights to certain characters like Iron Man, Thor, and Daredevil have reverted back to them over the years.

16. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

Fox has the rights to "Fantastic Four" and "X-Men" as long they continue to develop them into feature films, yes. Same thing with Sony Pictures and "Spider-Man". Neither of them will relinquish or sell off these rights as long as they're making truck loads of cash with them.

Also Marvel wasn't "stupid" about anything...they were in bankruptcy and needed the cash and these character rights were very valuable assets.

17. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

The one thing that really annoys me...

A huge weakness with all the X-men movies are the characters that make an appearance just because of an action scene and are never mentioned again. Joss was actually going to make Quicksilver a prominent member of the Avengers. I really hope QS in DOFP doesn't discourage Joss from using QS and and Scarlett Witch in Avengers 2.

18. kirk55555

Still, who gives up the rights to their characters in a big form of media basically forever? I guess, from what you say, they didn't have much choice, but you'd think they would have put some kind of time limit on the rights, even if its a few decades.

Yeah, that kind of thing sucks. I was really ticked off by Colossus in X3. I like the character, but he got literally one line the entire movie. Hopefully Whedon will be able to use the characters, as much as I'm excited for DOFP, he'll probably use them better than the X-men movie will.

19. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

I don't see why they'd be concerned about it. If Fox is going to be a dick about it, just flat out ignore their franchise and focus on their own.

Until they get the rights back and can actually add them back into their franchise, why even pretend that the two are related?

20. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Maybe QS and SW only appear in an alternate DOFP timeline? That way, both Singer and Wheden can do whatever they want with the characters without stepping on each other's toes.