The Action Figure and Toy Collecting and Discussion Thread!

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by cooleddie74, Apr 7, 2012.

1. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

The new mold is kind of nice, despite the issues with his back sticking out. That's really the only major problem with having perhaps the first new Soundwave who can carry minions like his G1 self. The original version of the FoC mold (before they put tha feature in and scaled it up) isn't bad either. I rather like Soundwave having a communications vehicle sort of mode, even though it was cool having a non-vehicular G1 mode as well.

2. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Gentle Giant is doing a Darth Malgus Mini-Bust!

Looks like it might be a great addition if you buy collectibles of this quality and nature. I know we have at least a few Darth Malgus fans who visit this thread, so good luck if this interests you!

3. cooleddie74

Here's a much clearer and higher-res pic of the 12" Star Wars figures found in the Canadian Walmart.

[​IMG]

4. cooleddie74

The brand new Mythos Darth Maul.

WANT!!! :drool:

[​IMG]

5. OdoWanKenobi

OdoWanKenobi Admiral Admiral

Oooooooooooh. :drool:

I wish I had the money for the Mythos stuff. Those are some damn amazing statues.

6. cooleddie74

That's just one of his heads. The other has a more composed, focused expression without bared teeth, as if he's just located an enemy and has begun devising an attack strategy. This Maul looks incredible. I almost like it as much as I do the Desert Nomad Obi-Wan.

This line kicks ass.

7. Admiral_Young

Admiral_Young Fleet Admiral Admiral

That looks incredible.

8. cooleddie74

I'd love to see a Mythos Leia depicting Carrie Fisher as a newly-elected teenage member of the Imperial Senate and with a slightly different outfit and hairstyle to reflect her being a couple of years younger. Or perhaps even an Anakin Skywalker from the 10-year transition period between Jake Lloyd and Hayden Christensen, using morphing to create a teenage Anakin that's a halfway point between the podracing little boy and the Jedi hero of the Battle of Geonosis.

9. Admiral_Young

There are art examples they could use as the basis for that sculpt. The photo cover to Greg Bear's Rogue Planet is one that immediately comes to mind. I would like to see even a figure of Young Teen Padawan Anakin.

10. cooleddie74

Yeah, the Rogue Planet cover would be perfect from which to launch a Mythos Anakin Skywalker. That remains one of my favorite SW novel covers because it gives you a realistic peek into what Anakin looked like during a period of history when the only sources we have are the drawn art in graphic novels, which vary widely depening on the artist and story.

11. OdoWanKenobi

I found Thorin and Gandalf today, so I have all the members of the company that are currently available. They still need to make Bifur, Bofur, Bombur, Dori, Nori, Ori, Oin, and Gloin before I will be satisfied, though.

12. cooleddie74

I saw the 2013 green-packaged Yoda and Jedi Attack Fighter vehicle set but passed. The fighter isn't very impressive, the Super Battle Droid is a boring repaint of a figure from eight years ago and the Yoda - while completely new - has one of the worst and goofiest paint jobs on his eyes that I've ever seen. It looks like he came out of a Tom & Jerry cartoon or something.

Passed. Would've been a waste of $23.99.

13. OdoWanKenobi

Matty Collector's clubs for 2013 have started, and this year I'm in two. Of course, Club Infinite Earths, with their first figure of the year:

The Blue Lantern, Saint Walker:
    [​IMG]

A favorite character of mine, and a fantastic figure. I think he may be one of if not the most articulated DCUC figures. Unlike most DCUC figures, he has double jointed knees and elbows, along with pin and post wrists instead of just a cut joint. He also has a cut joint on his head tendril.

The other club is Club Black Freighter, which is finally giving us comic based Watchmen figures. This one will be bi-monthly, since there will only be six figures. Up first is Rorschach:
    [​IMG]

He's an excellent figure version of the comic look. The coat does restrict his articulation a bit, but I never plan to pose him sitting. The grapple gun is ridiculously over-sized, though. There's no possible way he could ever slip that in his coat.

14. cooleddie74

Nice!

How much did each cost if you don't mind me asking?

15. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Picked up some Star Wars items: Another Naboo Starfighter, Anakin's Pod Racer and a Legacy Collection TIE Interceptor.

16. Admiral_Young

I know Saint Walker is $30 bucks on Big Bad Toy Store right now. He looks awesome, so does the Rorschach figure.

17. OdoWanKenobi

Subscriber pricing for the DC club is $18 a figure. That's pretty par for the course for figures in 6" scale these days. Watchmen is more expensive, at $25 a figure. I guess they're using the iconic and long desired nature of the line to justify the higher price. Doesn't mean I have to like it, but there it is. Both of them were available for sale day of on Matty's site for a bit more, but both sold out quickly. Getting the subscription is always a good idea in these cases. Save a few dollars, you're guaranteed all of the figures, and you don't have to fight other collectors when they go up for sale on MattyCollector.

18. Unicron

Unicron Boss Monster Mod Moderator

I'm going to try and have some pics ready by tomorrow. FoC Soundwave came in, and I actually rather like the figure despite the back issues. I was at Big Lots today on the way to another errand, and I bought four generic Transformers just for fun. They're so generic they don't have individual names, and the toyline itself has no name printed on the packaging! :lol: There may be two additional figures in the line based on the packaging, both of which are ground vehicles (the four I bought are all aircraft) and it's implied they can combine into a goofy looking big robot, but I'm not sure if the other two are required for that.

19. cooleddie74

Quick question: I never got any because I wasn't into collecting at the time, but did anyone here ever get their hands on any of the figures and figurines associated with Mystery Science Theater 3000?

Best Brains(the series' production company) greenlit a few collectible toys during the show's run in the '90s including a Tom Servo figure that came with what the advertising materials called "Wacky Rolling Action" features. I was a rabid fan of the show but never took the plunge to buy the collectibles associated with the program (I was a member of the famed MST3K Info Club, though, and got the regular newsletter).

Anyone here ever get this stuff?

20. OdoWanKenobi

I have a small Tom Servo that came with one of the DVD sets. That's all I've ever gotten a hold of.