Is This The Next Doctor?

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by StCoop, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Spanky

Spanky Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I would murder every single person to have David Thewlis as the next Doctor.

Or Kevin McKidd. He can finally be ginger.

2. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Well, since David Thewlis is a person, that might not turn out as well as you'd like... ;)

Or do you mean "every unmarried person?" Wait, that wouldn't work either, since he's divorced.

3. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

YES! Let's get Anthony Daniels

The Doctor- Do you hear that? They shutdown the main reactor We'll be destroyed for sure

Clara- WHIR!! BEEP BEEP

4. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Actually, I rather like that idea. Anthony Daniels can certainly be properly posh and if you've ever seen him at conventions, especially in a "master of ceremonies" capacity (which I have), you'll realize the guy is an absolute scream! His sense of comedic timing is positively wicked!

Seriously, I think he'd make a great Doctor!

Sincerely,

Bill

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

Anthony Daniels is sixty-seven. I could see him as a one-off guest star (perhaps as Borusa, if Gallifrey ever returned), but not as the Doctor.

6. Spanky

Spanky Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

I know he can be very funny, but from the 'stories' from Star Wars sets he can be very difficult to work with too. Personally I would say no to him, I would love an actor who'd be here for ten years who'd make the Doctor 'his role' for this incarnation similar to Baker.

7. Samurai8472

Samurai8472 Admiral Admiral

I think the next actor should be in his early 30's because anything older nowaday's could be an issue.

There's alot physical stunts and running around in the new series. Next thing you know we'll get a news headline that reads

"12 doctor sprains ankle. Production delayed"

8. Redfern

Redfern Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

67? Mercy, I had no idea! Then again, the last time I personally saw him at a con was around 2000, maybe 2001.

Never mind.

Sincerely,

Bill

9. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Hmm...........well right now I'm just beyond glad that the next doctor will not be female or Benidict Cumberbatch, but I'm not sure about this Ben Daniels. He seems a bit unsauitable for the role. However I could be wrong. The only way I could imagine him play the doctor is in a way simular to Eccleston with a touch of McGann maybe. I've never seen him in anything or ever heard of him, but if he plays the role right, he could work. With him in the role, does this mean doctor who will become more serious and mature, let it be so!!!! (I can just tell by some of his pictures that he looks serious all the time and I can't imagine him cracking a joke anytime soon or riding a dinosaur and wearing a stupid helmet on an old bike like Matt Smith.

10. Admiral Buzzkill

Admiral Buzzkill Fleet Admiral Admiral

He's too old.

11. Green Lantern

Green Lantern Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Meh. It's nice to have a change. I did want someone a bit older, but I wanted them about about Ecclestons age when he signed up.

My top three choices were Idris Elba, Damien Molony, and Jason Flemyng. Andrew Lee Pots is also in my top whatever list of doctors.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to Whistleblower, Smith will direct the Doctor-lite episode. However, the problem here is that the reason for the Doctor-lite episodes is because they need an episode that can be filmed simultaneously with the other episodes to meet the production deadline. They go with the Doctor-lite shows since the Doctor and companion(s) need only be in a minimum of scenes, the bulk of the episode can be filmed while they're off doing another episode. Having Smith direct a Doctor-lite episode would defeat the purpose of that since he can't very well direct an episode at the same time he's supposed to be off filming another one.

13. StCoop

StCoop Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's 48 not 148.

The squeeing fangirls will just have to learn to cope.

14. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

They'll never cast another actor older than 35 for the role again, IMO. If they do, it's only because he looks younger than 35.

15. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Fangirls seem plenty happy to squee over Johnny Depp, Robert Downey Jr, Hugh Jackman, etc.

16. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

It's worth remembering that the first two Doctors were both older men, and they both had younger male companions to handle the action and sex-appeal stuff -- Ian, Steven, and Ben for the First Doctor, Ben and Jamie for the Second. (And to some extent Mike Yates for the Third, though he could handle his own action well enough. And Harry Sullivan was introduced when it was thought the Fourth Doctor would be less physical and would need an action sidekick, but it proved unnecessary.) And even Eleven had both Amy and Rory as companions. So if they did cast an older Doctor, they could always give him a younger male companion again.

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I wondered about that. If what Whistleblower says is true, which it very possibly is not, then I suspect the Doctor-lite episode won't be double-banked, it will simply be in a separate production block of its own. Instead of a 36-week shoot for series 8, they may have a 38-week shoot to accommodate Smith's directorial debut.

To be honest, I wouldn't be surprised if Smith wrote the episode as well.

18. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Wouldn't be the first time - the same thing happened with "The Girl Who Waited".

19. The Mirrorball Man

The Mirrorball Man Vice Admiral Admiral

Or we're getting shorter seasons now, and scheduling is less of a problem.

20. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

But then another reason for the Doctor-Lite episodes is to give Doctor and companion a bit of a break. Example in season 1 the main reason Adam tagged along in The Long Game was so they could have him off doing his own subplot with guest actors and give Eccleston and Piper a break. I would guess giving Karen Gillan a break was a similar reason for why in season 5 we had the Amy-lite The Lodger. I suppose it's possible and likely they could do a Doctor-lite episode just so Smith could get the chance to sit in the director's chair, but it's just as likely he'd spend this time taking a deserved break instead.