Audio Club - The Sirens of Time

Discussion in 'Doctor Who' started by OmahaStar, Jun 24, 2013.

1. OmahaStar

OmahaStar Disrespectful of his betters Admiral

Linky

In July 1999, Big Finish released their first Doctor Who monthly title, The Sirens of Time.

Brief Synopsis -

Gallifrey is threatened by an outside force, another race of time travelers who have somehow managed to sneak up on the planet. They are determined to wipe out the Time Lords. The Time Lords release their only hope is to get a message through to the Doctor, and hope that he can stop the invaders.

As will be typical for BF stories, it is told in four episodes, two episodes per CD. Episode 1 features Doctor Seven, 2 is Doctor Five, 3 is Doctor Six, while 4 brings the three Doctors together.

It's an ambitious tale to start out the range. As is typical for multi-Doctor stories, when they do finally get together, we pretty much see two of them together, while the other (or others) go off on their own adventure. The three were together (briefly) towards the end, but only for a few minutes here and there.

When I put this on, I sort of gave myself a pep talk ... This was the first out of the gate, they've learned from their mistakes, they might have put something in here that's massively stupid, the writing might make fanfic look well done ...

But listening to it, I was pleasantly surprised how much I enjoyed it. Sure, there's the whole not-getting-them-together til the end business, and there's the bipolar Time Lords, who are either 1) trying desperately to get the Doctor to save their planet, or 2) trying to kill him because of Plotonium.

Each of the first three episodes has the Doctor on some sort of adventure dealing with time running wild, without his companion (though they do get name-dropped), and meeting up with a strange young woman who needs his help.

The strangest part for me was hearing the voice of Evelyn Smythe, before she was Evelyn - Maggie Stables was here playing a vicious woman with a thick German accent, who was basically a space Nazi. She's supposed to be sweet and an upstanding member of society. Here, the character she's playing is anything but. She'd cut a bitch.

Overall, I enjoyed it very much, and I look forward to finding out what next month's selection is.

What say you?

If you missed the previous post about this, Big Finish has started an audio book club they are calling The Listeners. They offer a specific title for download at $2.99, and then invite people to talk about it as they would at a book club, on their website or facebook page.

Link to original Big Finish announcement.

2. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

I bought and downloaded it, but, haven't listened to it yet. I've got 3 disks left on my current book, and then I'm back to the Whoniverse (I've gathered lots together). I was going to listen to the Evelyn/C. Baker stories next (I've listened to the first 3 or 4 and the rest are ready for me to listen to), but, I'll pop this one in first, since you started the thread (Should be listening to it by Friday, if not done with it by then)

I'm looking forward to hearing a McCoy story, and need to listen to some more Davison some time, since Spare Parts is my only Davison (There's several Davison stories in the freebies recently offered).

3. klingonmaquis

klingonmaquis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I first heard about Big Finish via a buddy in the UK and after he sent a copy of Sirens I was hooked! Since then I have gotten cds over the years and have only regretted two of them.

4. Pindar

Pindar Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I finished it this morning.

Good introduction to all the Doctors they had working for them at the time, although 6 came off the strongest.

Sylvester seemed pretty out of practiceto me compared to his later audios.

It's a pretty good first effort by Big Finish.

5. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I find that observation curious, as Sylvester McCoy had played "the Professor" in several unofficial Doctor Who BBV audios before Big Finish got the official license. Then, when the BBC got wise to what BBV was doing, the Professor become Dominae and Ace became Alice.

6. Pindar

Maybe it's the writing then, but 7 seemed a bit off to me.

7. Sindatur

Finished it, I enjoyed it ass much as later stories, no "First Story" complaints.

The ending was rather abrupt, in a blink and you miss it kinda way, but, I enjoyed the story, and I'm fine with the way they were seperate and the way they paired off.

Picked up The Four Doctors for my free Subscription gift and listening to it now (Davison through McGann Single Disk Story)

Can't wait to see what next month's selection will be

8. Pindar

So next up is part 1 of Dalek Empire. An exceptionally good Doctor free story.

For me Dalek Empire is Big Finish at its best, I have listened to it many times.

The Knights of Velysha (spelling ?) appear in both this and the Sirens of Time but seem to be very different organisations.

9. Sindatur

Cool, I've been wondering about The Dalek Empire Series, and the rest of the line is only $5 a story for download or $7.73 for Disk.

10. Pindar

I was hoping it was going to be something I didn't have but Dalek Empire is great.

Although I have a pile of stuff waiting to listen to.

My chest infection failed to clear up and now I am at home trying to recover from pneumonia now, I have endless free time but don't really feel like doing anything but lie around and doze.

11. Sindatur

I was violently ill with Pnuemonia in February, but, fortunately recoved quite quickly once I went to the Hospital (Stayed in Hospital for 3 days, pumped up with every antibiotic imaginable) and my chest and side were very uncomfortable for about another 2 weeks

I definitely know about the Pile of stuff to listen to. I've gotten all the miscellaneous stuff listened to for Doctor Whoniverse, except I got the 8th Unbound with David Warner, so I am now listening to his first Unbound, and then will listen to the second one, and then on to the Colin/Evelyns at last. After that, I have the first two Trilogies of Dragon Riders of Pern, I now have a monthly subscription to the Main Range Doctor Who, starting July 31, and I will be definitely getting Gallifrey Season 6, so, that's probably enough to get me through the whole rest of the Calendar year :alienblush:

12. Pindar

I had 1 day in hospital I think the antibiotics I have been on aren't cutting it.

I still haven't listened to the last season of Gallifrey all though I got it a while back. The David Warner unbounds are good he is in everything but he is good.

I like him as Steel in the BF Saphire and Steel range.

13. Sindatur

Gallifrey, I enjoyed S4, for it's difference from what came before, but, I know many didn't like it at all. If you're one of those who didn't like S4, you should be much happier with S5, and it ends on a very unexpected (At least unexpected for me) cliffhanger, which leads into what I believe will be the main story in S6, which is coming out in Oct or Nov

14. Pindar

I didn't hate 4, but I didn't enjoy it as much as the previous series.

I'm trying to decide if I can afford to get into the Jago & Lightfoot series after enjoying the 2 adventures they had with 6.

15. Sindatur

Yea, I didn't enjoy S4 as much as the first 3 Series, but, I'm not sure I would've enjoyed more of the same anymore than I enjoyed what we got

With my listening backlog, as much as I enjoy J&L, that's a step too far for quite sme time to come, I still want to cram in Blake's 7 Audios at some point, LOL.

The Dalek Empire, I've gotta at least get the first one for the $2.99 price, and if I like it, it'll probably lead me to get the whole series.