‘Superman & Batman’ movie will follow ‘Man of Steel’

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by JoeZhang, Jul 20, 2013.

1. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The "first day on the job" is a bit of an understatement. Having to make a split second decision to end a life with your bare hands is not something to take lightly, and I'm sure it kept him up a night or two.

I think in the next one you'll see a Superman more like what is expected.

2. davejames

davejames Vice Admiral Admiral

And that approach was to make him as dull and bland as possible, if you ask me. It wasn't until JLU (when they gave Supes a bit more of an edge) that he actually became somewhat interesting.

Superman has been my favorite superhero ever since I was a kid, but I got bored of the simplistic, goody goody Superfriends approach to the character a long, long time ago.

3. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

It's one thing to add the edge to teh character, but it's easy to cross the line and not actually be writing the character anymore. With Superman, this line is easy to cross.

4. Serveaux

Serveaux Fleet Admiral Premium Member

Killing him put an end to that threat, good and permanent.

Actually, the "throwing him to the Moon" nonsense would have been outside the movie's whole approach to the character. He's not going to be pushing planets out of alignment and righting skyscrapers in one piece at superspeed any time soon.

What Clark did made sense. He had no advantage on Zod at all, and Zod had sworn to destroy humanity. The writers could have given him a gimmick as an out - something like a convenient Phantom Zone projector - but the writers may have been smart enough to know that such silliness was what killed the old Superman comics to begin with.

Dunno. Ask some of the boys from Kansas who go to war and kill people in the belief that it's necessary to defend their homes.

Last edited: Jun 12, 2014
  5. Professor Zoom

Professor Zoom Admiral Admiral

I thought the MOS How It Should've Ended got it spot on on what Superman should've done...

It's not about what he should've done during the fight, it's what he should've done well before the fight. Rather than talking to some priest, he talks to his Hologram Dad... who knows Zod... And comes up with a great solution...

So, there are solutions, it's not like Superman didn't have any choice, it's a fictional construct. The writers tried to create the illusion that he had no choice but to let Metropolis be beaten into sand--because they wanted that imagery, and that he had no choice but to snap Zod's neck. Those were creative choices...

But, they could've found creative choices to do something else....

6. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

You rock.. I was trying to make this same point but you made it much more eloquently. Thanks.

(no sarcasm)

7. M.A.C.O.

M.A.C.O. Commodore Commodore

What "How It Should Have Ended" forgets is that Jor-El only came up with the phantom drive collision solution AFTER he plugged in to the ship. Without that act, it would be like Superman coming up with a solution that does not follow anything we saw previously. Also at the time Superman had no reason to mistrust Zod or his intentions. It was only after Zod used the dream machine on Supes did Clark learn of his sinister plan.

It was a creative choice to have Superman fight the world engine and for Metropolis to be pancaked by the gravity beam. What is the alternative to that? How about Zod and his dozen or so fellow Kryptonians come down to Earth and conquer the planet with their bare hands.

In Superman II it only took Zod and 2 other K's to fully submit the Earth in under a day.

In The Supergirl Saga by John Byrne (Superman #21, Adventures of Superman #444, and Super #22). Zod and 2 other Kryptonians wreck Earth unopposed since that world's Superman had died 10 years earlier. Killing all 5 billion of Earth's inhabitants.
    Here's a pic of their conquest.
    [​IMG]
    Or Superman Last Son by Geoff Johns and Richard Donner (Superman 1978 and Superman II). In it Zod and a dozen followers manage to wreck Superman, the entire JLA and JSA IN ONE FRAKKING DAY. More photos of humans trying to resist after the JLA and JSA had been captured.
    [​IMG]

We saw Superman in MOS struggle to fight 2 Kryptonians in Smallville. If he was faced with the odds he faced in the aforementioned comics. Earth would be called New Krypton.

8. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Good thing no one did that, then, isn't it. And, again, he eventually becomes a superhero others look up to--but not on his first day on the job.

9. Serveaux

Yes, and that would have been rote and facile.

Let's have yet another Superman story without human consequences, because Superman can fix anything.

Hey, he can spin the world backward and un-destroy Metropolis!

Who other than eleven year-olds are going to buy tickets to that?

Wait a minute - what eleven year-old today would buy into that?

10. Mister Fandango

Mister Fandango Fleet Captain

Well, sure, except they did, in fact, do that.

Oh, so now we're just randomly pulling things out of our asses, eh? In that case, I'll randomly counter that by saying he becomes a psychokiller instead. Hooray, I win!

:rolleyes:

11. Serveaux

No.

12. M.A.C.O.

Randomly counter with untrue statements you mean. You know facts will always trump subjective opinions.

13. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Did you actually watch Man of Steel? "Douchebag killer" is in no way appropriate as a description of Superman or his actions at any point in the movie--and it most certainly was his first day on the job as a superhero.

14. Serveaux

Perhaps he means "douchebag killer" as in "killer of douchebags?" :lol: ;)

15. Ovation

Ovation Admiral Admiral

Indeed. Perhaps I've misunderstood all along.

Nah. :lol:

16. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Zod's goatee is pretty douchey.

17. Psion

Psion Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Crap. I better keep a low profile, then. AND I'm growing a goatee. This doesn't look good.

18. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Besides, everybody knows the actual purest of all superheroes is Billy Batson.

At least when Stargirl's not around. :shifty:

19. Corran Horn

Corran Horn Vice Admiral Admiral

I actually have no problem with him killing Zod. A knock-down drag-out fight in the middle of Metropolis while throwing him through skyscrapers is slightly different.

20. M.A.C.O.

Zod crashed Superman through 6 building. Superman pushed Zod in to two. They also took the fight in to outer space, ya know.