Joss Whedon's S.H.I.E.L.D to ABC!

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Admiral_Young, Aug 29, 2012.

1. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The Kingpin has long been associated with Spider-Man. He even debuted in an issue of The Amazing Spider-Man.

In my ideal comic book movie world, I'd like to see Spider-Man, Daredevil, and maybe the Punisher all grouped together under the same studio (maybe along with Marvel's other "street level" heroes), the X-Men and their universe off on their own, and the Fantastic Four grouped with the Avengers and their related characters.

2. Thestral

Thestral Vice Admiral Admiral

Although Kingpin's only film appearance so far has been in a DD movie, so it might be a Scarlet Witch/Quicksilver thing?

I just recently marathoned the first season of Arrow (which was much much better than I expected), so I'm thinking along those lines, with the echolocation effects and a billy club instead of a bow.

The Hand for sure; otherwise... New York's organized crime?

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

The movie rights, yes, but that may not apply to TV.

Oh yeah, the "Maggia."

Although the Mark Waid comics I've been finding at the library recently have DD going up against a lot of other Marvel Universe villains like the Spot, Klaw, and the Mole Man.

4. Alidar Jarok

Alidar Jarok Everything in moderation but moderation Moderator

If that's the case, that's kind of bullshit. However, since the Daredevil film was 20th Century Fox, I'm kind of skeptical that it's true. It just cements my belief that there needs to be a cross-over film. Have a Spiderman film, a Daredevil film, and a cross-over film.

5. DEWLine

DEWLine Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

They've been cagey about "traditional" organized crime over the decades, although it seems that something Marvel apparently used to do to avoid unwanted trouble from certain quarters did take on a continuity-life of its own despite how things have changed in the real world since that first "Maggia" reference in Lee-Kirby's Fantastic Four.

They do seem to be treated as a separate thing from the Mafia proper nowadays. Common origins, different factions going in different directions?

6. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

It's probably best that they just try and develop the cast they have instead of trying to bring in superheroes.

7. Aldo

Aldo Admiral Admiral

That's probably the best way, though I bet we do see superheroes pop up here and there during sweeps or some such event. Heck I could even see a superhero show up because he has a film coming out soon (Captain America 3 coming out next week? Why not have him guest start on SHIELD to set up the plot of the film).

Actually now that I think of it, I would love that idea. It wouldn't be anything that you had to see in order to enjoy the film, but it'd be a nice bit of supplemental material all the same.

8. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

As much as I'd love to see the Avengers themselves on the show, I think it's more likely that would probably use a smaller supporting character rather than one of the big 6 for something like that.

9. Vendikarr

Vendikarr Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I could see someone like Carol Danvers show up as military liason with SHIELD, has a few adventures through the first season, and then the big origin story. Next time you see her is a character in the newest Avengers film over the summer. You can only get away with something like that once, so that is why I would do it with Ms. Marvel.

10. Christopher

^I doubt they'd introduce a character on TV and then move them to the big screen. I think I saw an interview where Whedon or somebody involved with the show talked about why that would be problematical, because the stakes for casting someone in a movie are much higher than those for casting a guest actor in a TV episode.

Although, on second thought, we've already seen Bruce Banner and Jim Rhodes recast in the MCU, and will see Fandral recast in Thor: The Dark World. So maybe a character could be introduced in the show and transfer to the movies, but the actor might not make the transition.

11. LaxScrutiny

LaxScrutiny Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Ones that stick in my mind, Mr. Fear and The Owl, especially from Gene Colan's run in the 70s. Mr. Fear might face accusations of ripping of Nolan's Batman, but is actually an excellent recurring villian in Daredevil since the 60s.

The Owl is both a powered villian one-on-one, and also a crime lord. I always found him especially creepy and dramatic, especially with Colan's brilliant artwork. If they can't use Kingpin, then the Owl is certainly an excellent choice. He has some kind of flight power, but this could also just be portrayed as "gliding" using his big coat.

Then there is Stiltman, who could be portrayed as an Iron Man wannabe. It's hard to take him seriously, but a good writer could do something with him.

12. Christopher

Poor Owl. His only television or film appearance to date is a seconds-long, non-speaking cameo as part of a gathering of crime lords in the second-season premiere of the '90s Spider-Man cartoon. They make a point of showing us this distinctive-looking villain and having Kingpin introduce him by name along with the others, and it looks like they're setting him up to be a recurring character, and then they just kind of go, "Naww, we're not interested in him, let's tell a story about Kingpin vs. Silvermane instead."

13. Turtletrekker

Turtletrekker Admiral Admiral

14. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

No love for the Jester?

15. DWF

DWF Admiral Admiral

I loved The Jester and his story would be so timely right now.

16. TemporalFlux

TemporalFlux Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This is b.s. The Spectacular Spider-man cartoon couldn't use Kingpin because Sony did not have the rights to Kingpin. That's why you had all that Big man stuff that turned out to be Tombstone.

Spectacular Spider-man was the last cartoon done before Marvel got back it's television rights; that cartoon lays out just what Sony does have the rights to. Sony does not have the rights to Kingpin.

17. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

Who?

18. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=obKLdou0LH0[/yt]

19. Silvercrest

Silvercrest Vice Admiral Admiral

My work here is done.

20. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

I hope so. :p