So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Just ordered Maplecroft by Cherie Priest from our local library. Think "Lizzie Borden, Demon Slayer."

Sounds like fun.

2. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Historical short stories By Alexander Dumas and author like Author Conan Doyle. They're really well written stories.I've really enjoyed reading their stories. When comes to classic heroes and villians you can see these traits in a lot of the Star trek characters from the different series were influcened by the classic writers.

3. trampledamage

trampledamage Clone Admiral

Think I'll give this one a try too.

4. Starborn Dragon

Starborn Dragon Captain

I just got two disks with a bunch of blacksmithing videos and vintage books on them.

By vintage I mean books from 1915 and before.

I have an interest in history and have always wanted to learn about black smithing.

5. Endgame

Endgame Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I read "The Quiet Place" (ST-NF #7) by Peter David and have started reading "I, Q" ST-TNG also by Peter David. Not sure about going through the same author's mind force warrior series of six books. Would like to explore psionics more fully from time to time. Still watching Season 2 of ST-TNG. Also watched a few educational / documentary shows about space from Netflix. Updated the article on "Green Theory" in Wikipedia by making it yet more controversial. Transhuman traits, by definition, cannot be understood by earlier mere "humans" but I wonder if you could do an "I, Q" version of the story of a transhuman. But, then is this a "story idea" which I am gradually being socialized into understanding what is acceptable and what is unacceptable etiquette? Perhaps, "I, Q" does the autobiography of post-human and strange so well that no other stories need be done.

I was wondering if "The Quiet Place" would be some kind of internal meditative space or perhaps a sanctuary or perhaps some kind of "unimatrix zero" but it may have to be revisited some time in the future. Is this a story idea?

Will have to get "Uncertain Logic" by Christopher L. Bennett as next of my book buys. Sorry if I mixed it up with "Unspoken Truth" which I read in 2010. I have always been a fan of Spock's logic. But what to do when logics conflict with each other and paradoxes abound? Are the laws of thought inviolable? Can something be both true and false? Or, can a proposition be neither true nor false? And... more. More what? (More or less?) After hermeneutic / hermeneutick perhaps one could use logic(s) and logick(s) likewise.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2015
  6. Idran

Idran Commodore Commodore

Look into the novelette "Understand" by Ted Chiang if you're interested in seeing more first-person transhuman fiction. (And if you like that one, look into the rest of his stuff; he's an amazingly-creative author.)

7. Thrawn

Thrawn Rear Admiral Premium Member

Yeah, he's pretty incredible.

8. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

9. zarkon

zarkon Captain Captain

Been reading the Nero Wolfe books for the last couple of weeks. Just gotten halfway through Some Buried Caeser. Great stuff.

10. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm reading Star Trek Savage trade by Tony Daniel. I really like this book has story arcs for the tos characters in this book and some back story about Spock and the Vulcan ambassador was a nice suprise.:bolian:

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

"The Blood-Dimmed Tide" by Howard Weinstein, one of the MERE ANARCHY novellas.

And I just noticed that there's a new VERONICA MARS novel out . . . .

12. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

^Any particular reason you're reading that, Greg? That's right around the time period you've been working with recently.

--Sran

13. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This morning I finished Star Wars: Lords of the Sith by Paul S. Kemp. I enjoyed it overall, though it wasn't the Vader/Palpatine team-up focus that it had been teased as.

http://bit.ly/1pnNxPY

Slight spoilers in my review, but nothing major.

14. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm looking forward to this one. This past weekend, i FINALLY finished "Heir to the Jedi." It took me practically since it came out, when i bought it, for me to finally finish this last weekend. I had such a hard time getting into "Heir." I usually love 1st person stories, but the writing style of this book just threw me off.

15. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^Didn't that come out about 25 years ago?

16. Deranged Nasat

Deranged Nasat Vice Admiral Admiral

You're thinking of Heir to the Empire. :)

The one in which Thrawn tried to reverse imperial decline through art appreciation (this was before he was Captain Mal).

17. Paris

^Riiiiight. Thanks Nasat :techman:

18. Kertrats47

Kertrats47 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

This week, I'm doing short reviews of the four S.C.E. stories in the omnibus Some Assembly Required.

Yesterday, I posted my review of Aaron Rosenberg's The Riddled Post.
    Today, it's Here There Be Monsters by Keith DeCandido.

Just got Malcolm Gladwell's David and Goliath as a gift, can't wait to start it!

19. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Shortly after finishing Vanguard 4 I lunged myself at Vanguard 5 Precipice.

20. Paris

I loved Precipice! I think it was my favorite of the bunch. Enjoy :techman: