Rereading the Comics

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Dave Scarpa, Mar 5, 2013.

1. Dave Scarpa

Dave Scarpa Commander Red Shirt

I'm endevouring to go back and reread the Star Trek Comics, from Gold Key to DC, to Marvel and Wildstorm. I have'nt read many of these since I was 15 years old. I will be starting With DC's First TOS Series set immediately after Wrath of Khan.

Anyone else revisiting the comic series?

2. Enterpriserules

Enterpriserules Commodore Commodore

We have been looking back at a lot of comics on Literary Treks, in fact on our latest episode we talk about "Divided We Fall" the DS9/TNG crossover by Wildstorm. I really liked this series, it was fantastic.

3. Dave Scarpa

Yep listened to your Podcast, you guys are doing a fantastic job, I've read most of the DC Stuff and Marvel stuff years ago, but many like the series you mentioned I have not read and I can't wait to get to them. The comics when they were good, were fantastic at filling in alot of the voids between series and I think you'll enjoy rereading them if you are going to start doing so, love to hear about your re-reads on the cast.

Dave

4. Enterpriserules

I'm glad! We will continue to look back at the old comics and the older IDW comics as well. I'm looking forward to seeing all the good stuff I missed :bolian:

5. ryan123450

ryan123450 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Dave do you have the Complete Comics Collection DVD? It has every comic from every publisher up through IDW.

6. Fer

Fer Commander Red Shirt

Well, except for the two Star Trek/X-Men crossover comics. Still, I love it!

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

^And it's missing the Klingon-language version of Starfleet Academy #18, though it claims to have it.

Oh, and "up through IDW" is unclear phrasing, because it could be taken to mean that it includes IDW. It does not include the IDW or TokyoPop comics (nor does it have the US and British newspaper comic strips, though there have been efforts to arrange for another CD for them. IDW has begun publishing a 2-volume compilation of the US strips.)

8. Enterpriserules

I cannot wait for the US strips to come out!

9. CaptPapa

CaptPapa Commander Red Shirt

Yes, I enjoy rereading the comics - I just did a stretch through the 2nd DC series, my favorites.

Why not start with the Gold Key's though, instead of DC 1st? Obviously, Gold Key came first, plus if you started with them, it would be like at dinner, where you eat your veggies first to get them out of the way. :lol:

10. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I haven't read any of them in ages, but I have been working my way through the CCC DVD since it came out.

11. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Volume 1 came out in hardcover before Christmas. It's huge!

12. Enterpriserules

How'd I miss it! I need to get this!

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

i just started my own re-read of the comics, beginning with DC Series I. I'm about halfway through the "Mirror Universe" arc. The first DC TOS series had alot of strong writing. Ive always been mixed on Sutton/Villagran's art. They were get at characters, but they never drew the interiors/exteriors of the ship to my liking.

14. Dave Scarpa

Yes I own it.

15. Dave Scarpa

I like the older comics I take them for what they are and when they were written, and that they were written by people that never initially seen the show, I'll get to them

16. DS9forever

DS9forever Commodore Commodore

I pretty much bought the Comics Collection CD-ROM to get the DS9 comics; I have never been much of a comic book reader, but I like the medium. My favorite DS9 comic was the two-parter where Lwaxana Troi returns after the events of "The Muse" to get a divorce from Odo so she can get married again. They were pretty neat.