Cast the Characters of Trek Literature

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by Haval_Runa, Apr 10, 2006.

1. Cicero

Cicero Admiral Admiral

I didn't really follow her earlier work (e.g. Buffy, American Pie), so my mental impression of her (approaching 40) is too old for the character (though she certainly looked the part c. 2005, despite being over 30).

I was thinking more of early-Vanguard Theriault. While Quinn is probably still a little young, I find mentally aging her a year or two easier than imagining a younger Hanigan. (Theriault seems like the type who might have skipped a year along the way somewhere, anyway.)

Her age by the time of Seekers would be about 26* without mentally adjusting, anyway, which isn't terrible for a rapidly-promoted LCDR in the context of some of Star Trek's other promotions (27-year-old Captain Kirk, 18-year-old Chief Engineer Chekov, 28-year-old Captain Picard).

*I went with "Turnabout Intruder" as being near the end of the five-year mission (no TAS), rather than the 6-8 months earlier date used in the novels, but the difference probably isn't ultimately all that material.

Edit: Huh, just discovered I wasn't the first person to suggest her.

Not sure I agree with Quinn as Colt (mooted farther down the page), though.

Inspired by Tara casting her as Caitlin Barry in her nu-Pike fanfic, what about Gina Holden as Bridy Mac?

Last edited: Feb 26, 2015
  2. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, fair enough. I suspect that Theriault would probably be more like three or four years older than Quinn by the time of Reap the Whirlwind, though. (I am operating on the assumption that she graduates at a standard age [22] and spends a minimum of two years as an ensign before being promoted per standard U.S. Navy recs.)

My personal choice for Theriault? Felicia Day.

3. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I can't believe that never occurred to me, but I like it.

4. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

^Me, too. A very inspired choice, Sci!

5. Sto-Vo-Kory

As I was reading Q & A, my casting choices were:

Miranda Kadohata: Dichen Lachman (Dollhouse, Agents of SHIELD)

Leybenzon: Corey Stoll (House of Cards, the Strain, Ant-Man)

Imagining them as I read, they fit the characters pretty well.

6. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

Any ideas on who could play Thelin th'Valrass from The Chimes at Midnight?

--Sran

7. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

James Doohan and a finite number of animation cels?

8. Sto-Vo-Kory

Just finished Greater than the Sum and here's my casting for the new characters.

Jasminder Choudhury: Archie Panjabi (Good Wife)

Dina Elfiki: Sarah Shahi (Person of Interest)

T'Ryssa Chen: Chloe Bennet (Agents of SHIELD)

Shahi came to mind as soon as I read Christopher's description. Previous posts in this thread have come to the same conclusion.

Anyone that's seen the Good Wife knows that Panjabi can play the cool, serene bad-ass effortlessly. She may not be "statuesque" but she's believably faced off against men twice her size on the show without batting an eye. Like Shahi, she's a terrific actor.

After T'Ryssa broke into tears during her interview with Picard, Bennet was the only person I could imagine in the role going forward.

9. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Ozzy Osbourne as Vorta. It worked with Iggy Pop, too.

10. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

^ Assuming Ozzy can still speak. I think the jury's still out on that one.

As for Thelin: Who's the "model" for him on the cover of that Myriad Universes novel? He kind of looks like Michael Fairman (the crime boss Niska from Firefly / Adlai Stevenson in Thirteen Days)

11. Kilana2

If he can't, he needs dubbing. :D

We are still looking for a Vorta to meet a Horta. :devil:

12. Mr. Laser Beam

That would indeed "rock".

13. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

He did do a voice for the heavy metal inspired fantasy action video game Brutal Legend, which came out in 2013, so unless things have changed since then, I don't see why couldn't do this.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

^ I can think of at least one reason: :lol:

Last edited: Jan 11, 2016
  15. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Wow, I'd never seen that. Although, that is from '03, and Brutal Legend was 10 years later and he was pretty good there.

There are a couple of F-words here
    [yt]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vymzdRZiXy8[/yt]

16. Kilana2

Yelgrun, meet Slider Dan. Slider Dan, meet Yelgrun. :lol:

17. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Given that we just had a new DS9 novel which featured Cenn quite heavily, I thought I'd drag this up again...

I do not see either of those, not a bit. To me, Cenn should be bland, as beige as his uniform (although Kira of course was always in red as XO/liaison officer). Not model handsome, not distinctive in any way, just a bloke. The image I always have is of Steven Weber as Colonel Day in DS9 2x03 "The Siege" (even though he's in grey, not beige).

I've tried to look at screencaps of DS9 2x23 "Crossover", as David Mack said that Cenn was one of the Bajoran guards on the alternate Terok Nor in that episode, to see if I can get a glimpse of him. But no luck so far. :klingon:

I always pictured Hetik as black - Taye Diggs, maybe?

I could go with that, although personally I picture more the guy who played him in the movie, Jesse Eisenberg. Or possibly Simon Amstell if he weren't so annoying.

18. Mr. Laser Beam

Do we even know what Bajoran uniform colors actually mean? Kira and Cenn had basically the same posting, so why does Kira wear red and Cenn beige?

19. DS9Continuing

DS9Continuing Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Has it been officially established what colour he wears? I picture Cenn in beige because while he was the liaison officer, he was also part of the security team at first, like Odo, who always wore beige.

But then Ro wore grey when she was Militia security chief. Lenaris, who Cenn was under before Ro, wore red. Now that Cenn is not security anymore but command, would he change to red even if he was beige before?

AAAAGHH!:brickwall:

20. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

According to the Memory Alpha article on Bajoran Militia uniforms, red\maroon is command, brown\tan is security, and silver\grey is engineering and operations. I would assume he would wear red.