Plot for a new Star Trek Series

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by dan_bevan, Jul 27, 2013.

1. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

Whenever people talk about "exploring the entire galaxy" I have to laugh. Let's put it this way:

If you could make enough starships so that one arrives at one new star every 60 seconds that would mean 525,960 stars could be visited per year. Even at that incredible rate to visit all 400 billion stars in the Milky Way would take three quarters of a million years (760,514) to accomplish.

No one's going to explore everything in our Galaxy any time...ever.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2013
  2. dan_bevan

dan_bevan Lieutenant Red Shirt

Well obviously they wouldn't be able to explore the entire galaxy but what I mean is for people to have access to most of the galaxy. Presumably by the 29th century they would have access to slipstream drive or transwarp speeds so they would have access to all the quadrants of the milky way at their finger tips however it would be impossible to stop off at every planet along the way. More likely that they would be assigned a pocket of space.

How long did it take you to do them calculations? seems like a bit of an inefficient use of your time. Or maybe that's your hobbies, fair enough then

3. Kemaiku

Kemaiku Admiral Admiral

According to TNG, 19-21% of the Milky Way has been explored already, after only 200 years in space, that's 10% per century, with the rate of exploration increasing as technology progresses.

4. Maurice

"Get a life," is what you're saying. That's fairly rude and dismissive. Shame on you.

And FYI it took 10 seconds to figure out. 365.25*24*60 = minutes per year, and 400 billion divided by that result.

5. dan_bevan

Wasn't trying to offend you but I think you misunderstood me. I wasn't suggesting that they'd be able to explore the entire galaxy. I applaud your maths skills but may not have been necessary.

6. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I must have misunderstood you too.

Dan, why not ask a mod to merge your same titled thread in Future of Trek forum into this one?

7. dan_bevan

Good idea... will make a lot of sense and saves times not having to reply in 2 seperate threads

8. Maurice

Not to be negative, but, again, this doesn't actually appear to be a "Fan Production", so when merging threads this doesn't seem to be the best venue.

9. dan_bevan

It is if im planning producing it. I just need to get people on board with it. I think people won't understand what im trying to do until I write the story of the pilot and people can understand my Trek a bit better then.

10. surak-toc

surak-toc Commander Red Shirt

i am intrigued in what the story is, post up a basic outline of how the story will progress, some basic character outlines and what not and take it from there

11. dan_bevan

I have ideas for most of the episodes of the first season for my show. I've got the core characters nailed but still some work to do on the secondary characters.

The first season will include the Purge who are the main antagonists, the Ferengui will return who have become more powerful due to the balance of power shifting, the Klingons will make an appearance with an interesting new spin on them.

But first and foremost they will encounter new worlds and civilizations which will be original and creative.

Each of the crew will be tested in some way or another and have to overcome any personal insecurities they may have - which will show humanity still exists well into the future.

12. doubleohfive

doubleohfive Fleet Admiral

Everyone always has ideas for the other episodes in the first season of their show. And that's great!

But honestly, none of that's gonna matter if you can't get the first show in the can. Don't announce as a series. Don't describe plot arcs or new characters who will show up later. Just focus on the first story, make it as awesome and as tight and as ironclad as you can so that it will excited people and then make it. Worry about the other stuff later.

Just my two cents.