So What Are you Reading?: Generations

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by captcalhoun, Dec 22, 2011.

1. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I finished the Stargate SG-1 novella Permafrost and thoroughly enjoyed it. It feels like a missing episode.

I just finished Greater Than the Sum. I had skipped over it to get to Destiny and never went back until now. I was sick of Borg stories. Resistance was bland, Before Disaster nearly turned me off to the whole TNG relaunch, and I was really enjoying Titan so I just decided to skip it. Wow, was that a mistake. Not only was it a fantastic story, but it also introduced two of my favorite novel-only TNG characters: T'Ryssa Chen and Jasminder Choudhury.

Now onto Losing the Peace (another one I skipped).

2. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Losing the Peace is a post-war story. I liked it more than William Leisner´s TOS The Shocks of Adversity. To each his own. I liked the famility topic in GTTS contrary to other readers. Titan 1-3 were great, 4 really bad, 5 OK, 6 avarage and 7 started to get better again.

Jasminder is also my favorite among the new crewmembers. :)

3. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A talent for war by Jack McDevitt

4. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think you mean Before Dishonor.

5. Kilana2

Or it was simply ironic.

6. 20fridge

20fridge Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I'd like to think of it as more of a Freudian slip :lol:

7. Defcon

Defcon Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

8. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

The last novel I did read, a few months ago, was the first Murdoch Mysteries book by Maureen Jennings. It wasn't bad - surprisingly gritty, and I liked the historical detail. A bit weird compared to the series, but if I can take both the book and movie Bonds, then I can take both the book and TV Murdochs...

I also read a Birds Of Prey collection, which wasn't bad - I forget the volume title, but Gail Simone wrote it and it was fun.

Then last week I zipped through Al Murray's Let's Re-Great Britain, which was funny, but doesn't really count, as it was more a "dip in while on the bog" sort of thing.

Not sure what to start next.

9. Lonemagpie

Lonemagpie Writer Admiral

Incidentally, if anyone's in West Yorkshire, the Oxfam shop in Wetherby has a metric fuckton of Trek books in the window....

10. USS Firefly

USS Firefly Commodore Commodore

Star Trek: The Lost Era: One Constant Star

11. Kilana2

Good choice. :techman:

12. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Finished "Infiltrator" by W.R. Thompson a few days ago. I think it was in the upper echelon of episodic novels, the spider-people (Payhuk or something) B-plot was kinda dumb and IMO unnecessary, but overall I enjoyed the book.

On to "War Drums" by John Vorholt. The forward says he wrote this during the LA race riots in the early 90's and the events inspired the storyline. So far it seems as if he's comparing African-Americans to savage, displaced Klingons and I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with that. He also has Data explain that he was created by "Dr. Singh"...those types of errors seem to come up consistently in Vornholt's novels.

To be fair, I haven't met the Klingons in the novel yet, only read the humans' perspective of them. This may be part of a point he's trying to make, so I will hold off judgement until I finish the novel.

13. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I jumped back into the Post-Nemesis stuff with Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night. So far, kind of slow going. I'm also getting back to the Vanguard series, with book 2 Summon the Thunder.

14. ronny

ronny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

You and I kinda sorta on the same track. My goal this year is to finish off the TNG numbered books. 13 more to go.

I read W.R. Thompsons's earlier novel Debtor's Planet earlier this year. I thought the idea of having Offenhouse ambassador to the Ferengi a great idea but the execution didn't work for me. I still need to read Infiltrator and am hoping I like it better than you. ;) I finished Chain's of Command this morning and will be starting War Drums on the commute home this evening. So far I've only read the preface.

15. JD5000

JD5000 Captain Captain

Our recent reading is pretty on track. I did like "Infiltrator", I'd recommend it. I HATED "Chains of Command". Stupid ****in chickens.

16. Cap'n Crunch

Cap'n Crunch Captain Captain

I finished Star Trek: Enterprise: Rise of the Federation: Uncertain Logic by Christopher L. Bennett.

I then read Fables, Volume 2: Animal Farm.

I'm now reading Star Trek: The Original Series: Crisis of Consciousness by Dave Galanter.

17. Reanok

Reanok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I read Doctor Who The Stone Rose by Jacquline Rayner and now I'm reading The Martian by Andrew Weir.

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm currently reading Vanguard: Summon the Thunder and Typhon Pact: Plagues of Night. I'm flying through Summon, but man i'm slogging my way through Plagues. About the only thing keeping my interest in Plagues is the Sisko and Kamemor stuff. But man, ive gotten to the Tzenkethi section, and i just find it so dull.

19. Kilana2

TP Brinkmanship features the Tzenkethi. And I didn't like Brinkmanship much. Luckily it wasn't a big tome. And I know, Una McCormack has much more to offer. Brinkmanship wasn't a disappointment either, but definitely not the best TP novel.

Kamemor is quite an interesting character. :rommie:

20. Kilana2

Finished Serpents in the Garden.

I´m reading Devil's Bargain by Tony Daniel now.

And it begins with ...... for Greg Cox ???????????? :)