No plastic kneecap or spacesuit?

Discussion in 'Star Trek - The Original & Animated Series' started by HansVerhaaden, Oct 10, 2014.

1. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

The term is based on the shape of the collar not the form on the collar. The uniforms are a turtleneck with a black collar.

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

I thought a turtleneck had to fold over once.

Wouldn't "tunic" be a more appropriate term?

3. Nerys Myk

It just has to cover part of the neck.

4. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

Then allow me to be the first to quote Johnny Carson in this thread. "I did not know that." I thought a mock turtleneck was the partial and a turtleneck was the full deal with rollover.

Back to the subject of the OP, if we assume that the black undershirt as seen worn by McCoy in The Man Trap (scene where McCoy naps after being drugged(?) by "Nancy") is standard issue Starfleet (something the Abrams films seem to have run with), then the OP is not entirely wrong, and the colored portion of the uniform is in fact an extremely shallow V-neck. However, I think the costume itself normally features the colored tunic with a black collar attached, which would then not be a V neck since the black collar is not V'd.

...how did we get on this subject again?

5. HansVerhaaden

HansVerhaaden Lieutenant

Head genius @ Free Thinkers Inc, Switzerland
    Geoff, let us be reasonable with this thing.

Is there or is there not a V on the neck region of Kirk's sweater?

6. Nerys Myk

We're nerds or is that geeks?

We see the shirt ripped ( especially on Kirk) and there's no black undershirt. I blame spacial anomalies.

7. Nerys Myk

The neck of the shirt is not in the shape of a V. That's the determining factor. It the black part was shaped like a U or a T it would still be a turtleneck.

8. HansVerhaaden

HansVerhaaden Lieutenant

Sweater.

9. Nerys Myk

Not in America.

10. HansVerhaaden

HansVerhaaden Lieutenant

Enough of this.

Can we agree to disagree and get back to the plastic kneecap?

11. PCz911

PCz911 Captain Captain

This is one of the strangest threads I've read in quite a long time. A very long debate on fashion semantics.

And Plastic kneecaps?

Didn't the security detail in TMP have "armor ". I assume that you mean something like that?

12. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Variations in costuming would have been nice for landing parties, boarding parties, etc., but the original series didn't have a lot of money available to do much of that. Kneepads, elbow pads, gloves, helmets, jackets, would all have to come out of the money budgeted for costumes, and cleaned every night.

13. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I agree that you don't know of what you type re necklines.

14. Avro Arrow

Avro Arrow Vice Admiral Moderator

Spock and Tormolen wear the undershirt in "The Naked Time", too, but I thought when Spock put his regular uniform shirt on over top of it, it had the black collar as per usual. I don't think the undershirt ever formed the black part of the collar in original TOS. Unfortunately, the Trekcore screencaps of this scene are inconclusive, and I don't really feel like digging the DVD out right now to check.

(And to the OP... kneepads would have just looked silly.)

15. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Can we allow Hans some leeway here? He's probably in a country where the terminology is a little different (as has already been pointed out). I should have thought of that before I started the trouble.

Regarding knee caps, our soldiers do have tactical kneepads as part of the combat uniform. It wasn't something you saw on '60s TV, especially on Star Trek's budget, but with benefit of hindsight,the landing parties to rough outdoor settings could have benefited from them.

16. ZapBrannigan

ZapBrannigan Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

A full exploration of the TOS black undershirt question, with photos, is here:

http://www.trekbbs.com/showthread.php?t=242527

Briefly: the black T-shirts seen in "The Naked Time" were just for show. They were not really part of the costume. Their short sleeves would have made a visible line under the long sleeve of the uniform tunic.

The actors did wear sleeveless black undershirts at least some of the time, and those were either for warmth or to avoid showing skin at the waistline.

17. Green Shirt

Green Shirt Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Strange ain't the word for it. :wtf:

18. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I think part of the problem happening within the thread is English is possibly OP's second language, so there may be a gap in the meaning of some words and idioms. That's all.

19. The Old Mixer

The Old Mixer Mih ssim, mih ssim, nam, daed si Xim. Moderator

Lazarus could certainly have benefited from both...he was the kid who kept falling off his bike....

20. Warped9

Warped9 Admiral Admiral

A V-neck is defined as the open part of the collar being a V shape. As such the TOS tunics are not V-necks because the open part of the collar is round.

It would have been more realistic to have shown different types of attire, but obviously they couldn't afford to do that regularly. That said later on we saw crew wearing overalls and radiation type suits as well as space suits in the third season.

They did a bit better in the films with field jackets and gear for security. But TNG went back to how it was done in TOS.