Just watched Star Trek V - pros and cons

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies I-X' started by Aslan ch'Shran, May 23, 2010.

1. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Pacing was too slow and the plots and subplots never completely gelled. Maybe a couple more weeks of rehearsal and they would've had it.

2. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Loved the bridge, though, it's my favorite of the TOS movies.

3. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I don't know if we would want them to redo Gary Mitchell. Someone new, or they found him alive on Delta Vega. Finding Mitchell alive seems alot like Kahn. And surely someone has been to Delta Vega since. BTW, I think Mitchell was in Of Gods and Men.
    I would pefer to see what Shatner had planned for the Rock Creatures. We only have a small test of the suit. That is another reason for Paramount to allow shatner to complete his vision with some CGI Rock Creatures.

4. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Well my though with Mitchell is a bit more emotional connection for Kirk. Another way to go would be to have God appear before them as their greatest pain versus the Sybok Mind-Whammy in the movie.

5. Amaris

Yes. This. Just for fun, because they'd never do it legitimately, I'd like to see Paramount or somebody do some CGI work on Trek V just to see what the results would be. That includes FX shots, the rock men, you name it. Someone has to be interested in such a project. Shoot, if I had the CG skills, I'd do it.

6. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

You would think Shatner would have enough money to invest in his baby.

7. Amaris

Well, Shat probably figures it's settled history. While I'm sure he'd be in favor of seeing it done, I doubt he would wish to devote the time and energy to the project, particularly since his plate is so full anyway. Of course, who knows? Someone may come along and get him to invest in the idea. Plus, to be honest, I love the movie as it is, warts and all.

8. Jeyl

Jeyl Commodore Commodore

PROS
    - Music by Jerry Goldsmith
    - Some good McCoy moments

CONS
    - Stupid, stupid idea. Search for God?
    - Visual Effects were terrible.
    - William Shatner pouring his own selfish interests into Kirk. Climbing a mountain?
    - Small group of religious nuts taking over the Enterprise, AGAIN.
    - Klingons who go on a murder crusade simply because they're bored.
    - Starfleet acting so incompetent by sending the Enterprise out even though it's in no shape to handle anything.
    - Stop motion animation for space ship effects?
    - Worst warp effect EVER!
    - Comedic moments are out of character, out of place and unnecessary.
    - Almost killed the franchise.

9. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

Why is that a stupid idea? Just look into the real world and see how many people out there would like to find God, how many sect leaders are out there manipulating millions with false promises. It was actually one of the better ideas in Trek.

Klaa was some sort of a Klingon prince, unhappy with his uneventful and spoiled life, and he wanted to bring Kirk home as a trophy to become a hero. I'd say that's enough motivation for a day.

Yet it didn't, so it's a moot point.

10. ProtoAvatar

ProtoAvatar Fleet Captain

Star Trek V is, objectively, a VERY poor movie.

It can only be enjoyed for fan-boyish or nostalgic reasons.

11. JarodRussell

One would need to let people watch who have never seen any Trek before to find out.

12. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

I don't understand the "Shatner, lousy director" angle. The guy was never given the chance to make the film he wanted, so it's impossible to say one way or the other.

From what little of him is actually in the film it can easily be concluded that he appreciated and understood the source material far more than either Meyer or Nimoy.

People call him out for putting too much of his ego into the film, yet those same people seem to ignore the fact that Nimoy's two films were all about Spock. :shrug:

While certainly not stupid, it does lose points for having already been done.

:wtf:
    If there is one film that isn't fan-boyish, it's TFF.

13. ProtoAvatar

Already happened.
    Frankly, these days, I would be embarrased to show this movie to a non-trek fan.

When one has no fan-boyish attachment to TOS characters, star trek V is worthless.
    At most, it qualifies for so bad, it's amusing - as in 'a comedy of absurdities'.

Any such viewer will tell you that, between star trek V and any average movie, the average movie is of bar better quality.
    As for critics - if they bother to review star trek V, they'll utterly trash it - and for good reason.

CorporalClegg, if you don't care about Kirk&co (not caring about TOS), the movie has no other appeal.

In other words "It can only be enjoyed for fan-boyish or nostalgic reasons".

14. JarodRussell

What story has not already been done?

15. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

Nonsense. My aunt and uncle took me to see it for my birthday. Neither of them had seen any Trek prior. They both enjoyed it.

Also, I think you need to research the difference of "fan" and "fan-boy."

Well, yes. But I meant that it had already been done as a Star Trek film. ;)

16. ProtoAvatar

So - your close relatives saw the movie with you at your birthday, knowing you're a trek fan, and you're surprised they didn't tell you the movie is of inferior quality?:rolleyes:

CorporalClegg, to reiterate - star trek V is, objectively, a far sub-standard movie.
    If you think otherwise - you're seeing the movie through rosy-coloured glasses. Browse the internet for any review of the movie, if you want proof of this.

And - expain the difference between 'fan' and 'fan-boy'. Just to be sure there are no misunderstandings.

17. JarodRussell

Because reviews are objective? And most reviewers already know other Trek?

18. ProtoAvatar

Yes, JarodRussell, because most reviewers tend to be objective, to judge the movie, in large part, according to objective criteria.
    And because most reviewers are not consumate trek fans - whether they have seen star trek before or not.

19. JarodRussell

LOL, reviewers are objective. Learn something new every day.

I hereby demand proof! :)

20. A beaker full of death

A beaker full of death Vice Admiral Admiral

It's entirely consistent with many of the themes in TOS. This was the most Trekian of plots. It's right out of Roddenberry's playbook (back when he was actually a student of science fiction).