Was/is Andoria ever a major space power?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Xerxes1979, Jan 3, 2014.

1. T'Girl

T'Girl Vice Admiral Admiral

We've heard or seen the names of over 150 Starfleet starships, did we even get one that would have been Andorian in origin?

It's kind of a idiotic concept, the Andorian people have been around for multiple thousands of years with four genders, and suddenly that's one of the prime reasons they're now going extinct?

:)

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

Who says Andorian ships didn't have names that translate to "Intrepid", "Endeavour", "Enterprise" and the rest?

3. T'Girl

Why would the Andorian names be translated into English? Commander Shran's ship in ST: Enterprise was Kumari, and we've seen multiple Vulcan ships in ENT and one in DS9 with Vulcan names.

The name T'Kumbra wasn't translated into English.

4. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Perhaps they were named after people.

5. Captain Clark Terrell

Captain Clark Terrell Commodore Commodore

I don't think it happened suddenly. It seemed to be a closely-guarded secret that became known following Andor's involvement in the founding of the Federation. The issue was retconned into TOS in the MU story about Thelin th'Valrass.

--Sran

6. T'Girl

The majority of Starfleet ship names have been Human proper names. Human family names, Earth historical figures, Earth river names, Earth city names, Earth mythical figures, Earth animals and insects. Only a few have been generic names or concepts.

Where were the Andorian ship names, in the Andorian language?

7. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

8. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Third ship to the left and second one down in any "fleet shot".

9. T'Girl

While that starship was crewed by Vulcans, the ship's name (to me) indicate that it was carrying a Human name.

The link you kindly provided to MA mentioned Imperial Guard starships, not Starfleet.

I stopped reading the novels with the relaunch.

10. Therin of Andor

I believe I said that. "Not a Vulcan name".

Because Memory Alpha is only concerned with canonical facts. No aired episode or movie has linked a specific Starfleet vessel with an all-Andorian crew, so it cannot speculate further.

Hardly my fault. Had I not provided a (non-canonical) Memory Beta link, someone would have pointed out this omission and chastised me. And if you did stop reading tie-in novels, you've missed some amazing stories.

This happens every time someone wants any trivia answer not provided by the canon. It does get a bit boring to just keep saying, "Officially, we don't know because the series never told us."

11. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

But Starfleet has hundreds, if not thousands, of ships. In TOS the U.S.S. Intrepid was a Vulcan-only crew, so a ship doesn't need an alien name to be manned by an all-alien crew.

There could have been some kind of radiation burst that affected them, or a mutated STI, or any kind of medical incident that has affected their biology which has only gotten worse over time.

12. Sci

Sci Fleet Admiral Admiral

A Ceremony of Losses established that the Andorian reproductive crisis was ultimately caused by a mutation the species underwent thousands of years ago that gradually began causing more and more miscarriages and stillbirths.

And, no, there's nothing implausible about the idea of reproductive difficulties gradually causing a species to go extinct. Just check out the difficulties scientists have been having getting the panda species to reproduce.

13. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

For those who are wondering.

14. Therin of Andor

Exactly. Humans only need to have two children per couple to replace themselves. Assuming ever Andorian can find three suitable mates, they need four offspring per group just to keep the population stable.

Prior to the genetic disaster that occurred in the past, this was not difficult.