Was Tuvok born on Vulcan?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Mr. Laser Beam, Apr 15, 2009.

1. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't recall when (if ever) Tuvok's actual birthplace was ever stated. Was he born on Vulcan?

The reason I ask this is (WARNING: STAR TREK XI SPOILER AHEAD, I'M NOT KIDDING, DON'T READ THIS IF YOU DON'T LIKE SPOILERS, I AM NOT RESPONSIBLE IF YOU DO READ IT, MAJOR STAR TREK XI SPOILER IS APPROACHING):

In the new Trek movie, Vulcan is destroyed. Since this film takes place a few years before TOS, it is apparently before Tuvok's birth, since he's only about 100 years old in Voyager. Does this mean that Tuvok can never be born in the new timeline?

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Sounds like an Enterprise script they kept recycling.

3. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well, according to Memory Alpha, which cites several episodes of Voyager, he was born on the Vulcanis Lunar Colony.

And I will NOT read your spoiler, I won't, I won't, I won't. Yet, anyway. ;)

4. Mr. Laser Beam

I'm sorry if anybody actually read my spoiler without wanting to. I thought if I revealed it was from Trek XI, it would be too obvious. I fixed it.

We don't know exactly where that is, do we? We do know that Vulcan has no moon of course. So it can't be in Vulcan orbit. If it were, my spoiler would apply.

5. Dane_Whitman

Dane_Whitman Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Different universes.

6. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Gaah! I read that spoiler! Why Tachyon, WHY?! [​IMG]

7. JustKate

JustKate Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Because...it was there.

I have very little self-control now, so I shall leave this thread immediately. ;)

8. Mr. Laser Beam

Well, yeah, I know that. Obviously the existing universe/timeline won't be affected. I was strictly speaking of the new one.

Hey, don't come crying to me. I clearly labelled it as a spoiler. And I relabelled it as a Trek XI spoiler before you read it. ;)

Last edited: Apr 16, 2009
  9. Squiggy

Squiggy FrozenToad Admiral

10. Tachyon

Tachyon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

But, but... Oh, in the name of Janeway - I'm a spoiler-whore with zero self-disclipine. When I see a spoiler button, me pushes it. I was programmed that way. [​IMG]

:p

11. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

That was the very first thing my friends and I thought about when we saw that movie on Tuesday night!!

I checked my notes on Tuvie-boy, though (http://www.timrusstribute.com/Voyager.htm), and I don't think there is a problem. He was indeed born on Vulcanis Lunar Colony at Stardate 38774, which, according to my calculations would be the year 2264. It could work out.

12. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

Why, it's the moon of neighboring sister planet Vulcanis of course. Ya know the one that Vulcanians come from. ;)

13. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

We've seen Vulcan, all big and red and shiny, it can't be destroyed...are you sure you don't mean Romulus? Coz I heard that went Kaboom...

14. Crewman47

Crewman47 Commodore Newbie

The only problem there though is that the stardate is a TNG era stardate and 38774 would fall somewhere mid 2361. TOS stardates for 2264 would be hard to hazard an accurate guess becuase of the way TOS season 1 was aired but the dates went between 1312 and 3417.

15. TMara

TMara Commodore Commodore

I know. But stardates have never made much sense to me anyway. And maybe there are different "stardate calendars" as well (like there are Islamic and Jewish and the Gregorian calendar on Earth right now) and Vulcanis Lunar Colony used a lesser used one to record birthdates (Vulcans probably have their own traditions...). ;-) I'm sure Tuvie is fine.;)

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

Well, the problem was always to reconcile what Spock said in TOS ("Vulcan has no moon") with the very obvious celestial bodies in Yesteryear and TMP (theater's cut). It may sound silly, but I always like the explanation from Spock's World: the bodies are Vulcan's sister planet (the name was T'Khut) and its moon (which name I can't remember), complete with the quote: "Well, techinally, Vulcan has no moon." "Damn right it doesn’t, it has a nightmare." So the Vulcanis Lunar Colony could be on that body, and everything would fit.
    The fact that Vulcan had a twin planet could even be linked to why the Romulans choose a double planet to settle on: it would be the most similar to their own.

17. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

People who have seen the movie at the places its already out have confirmed that Vulcan is destroyed in the film.

18. Praetor

Praetor Vice Admiral Admiral

That works for me.

19. Gary7

Gary7 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well, yes but...
    You may see Vulcan destroyed in the beginning, but that doesn't mean it can't be restored by "correcting" the timeline... ;)

20. wade8069

wade8069 Ensign

Would it be in the Mars?