How about a series set in the early 24th century.

Discussion in 'Future of Trek' started by ConRefit79, Feb 25, 2015.

1. ConRefit79

ConRefit79 Captain Captain

I was thinking a new series that could comment on today's issues might be best set in the early 24th century. We know there are renegad Klingons by TNG season 1. I imagine they were more trouble in the early 24th century. They could represent today's terrorist threat. Carsassians could be modern Russia. I would use a new ship and crew. You can have shows where Sulu, Enterprise B or C or stargazer make guest appearances.

2. C.E. Evans

C.E. Evans Admiral Admiral

A few years after VOY premiered, I thought a fifth Trek series could be a "Star Trek: The Lost Generation" featuring the Enterprise-B that maybe began in the final years of the 23rd-Century and then crossed over into the 24th-Century. I liked to imagine that the Enterprise-B probably had a different captain and crew by then if Alan Ruck couldn't reprise Captain Harriman.

Some of the things I thought the series might have shown was a falling out between the Klingons and the Romulans as well as one between the Federation and the Cardassians. There would also be many unknown things unique to that time that might be forgotten or rarely talked about history to later folks like Picard.

3. ConRefit79

I was leaning more towards a Miranda class. I don't care for Excelsior or Ambassador classes. Constitutions are mothballed. And I've gotten the impression the Constellation class isn't well liked.

What do we know of this period? When do relations deteriorate between the UFP and Cardassia?

4. Eronai

Eronai Ensign Red Shirt

I'd like to see more of the Enterprise-B ... and you'd have the background issues of a faltering peace between the Federation and the Klingon Empire - those on both sides trying to sabotage or take advantage of the peace process.

Perhaps an older Enterprise-B, a refit sent out 10-15 years after Kirk's apparent death.

Captain Demora Sulu maybe?

5. C.E. Evans

Possibly. I like to think that the Enterprise-B was around for a long time--perhaps longer than any of the ships in the 1701 family--and perhaps had several different captains during her lifetime, with Harriman merely being the first and the one that put the ship through her initial paces.

6. ConRefit79

I suppose the Enterprise B in the late 2020's would work. As long as it's not after TNG. It seems the further in the future they go, the less we can relate

7. C.E. Evans

I think that's an issue of writing that relies heavily on technobabble to move stories along and has a self-imposed limited view of what any of its characters can do.

8. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

Unfortunatly that's not likely, conjecture places the NCC-1701 with a luanch year of 2245 and her loss was in 2285 so a life span of 40 years. The NCC-1701-B launched in 2293 true we don't know the date she was launched but we do know the NCC-1701-C was lost in 2344 so a span of 51 for two ships. Whilst it is possible that the B had a long life span and C a short one. I think it's more likely the B served from 2293 to the early 2330's before being replaced by the C in the early-mid 2330's.

9. arch101

arch101 Commodore Commodore

Actually, I think a real problem with TV Trek is that the period between the mid 22nd to mid 24th century is now SO well defined, populated and travelled. The way to really free writers up is to go much farther into the future. Hundreds or maybe a thousand years into the future. This effectively jettisons all references to characters or events in canon and gives writers a clean slate. Ok, maybe Data is still around in some form or another.

10. C.E. Evans

Nah, it could easily be a case that the Enterprise-B was around from 2293 to 2243 and the Enterprise-C was lost only a year after she was launched.

11. ConRefit79

No interest in a different kind of show? I'm reading Reap the whirlwind right now. I think a show set on a successor of the Archer class scout would be an interesting change. Small ship scouting the outer edges of the alpha quadrant. Or maybe the beta quadrant at the edge of Klingon space. Crew of less than 20.

12. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Since there is no canon information at all to place the decommissioning/destruction/etc. of the Ent-B, and the commissioning of the Ent-C, then pretty much any interpretation is no more or less valid. I personally prefer that the Ent-C was around for a lot longer than just one year. I would not have minded if ENT had been about the Ent-B instead of the 22nd century NX-01, with events leading up to the Tomed Incident.

13. C.E. Evans

Exactly, so there's nothing that's more likely an idea than another. With the lack of anything official, it can go down any number of ways with all of them equally plausible.

14. SPCTRE

SPCTRE Badass Admiral

I would love to see the Ent-C, wonder which model they would use.

15. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

Presumably a CGI model of the ship seen in "Yesterday's Enterprise." What other ship would it be?

16. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

Thought I would love to see the Ambassador-Class in all her glory, I think it'd be great to see a Miranda take centre stage for a change.

17. Dukhat

Dukhat Admiral Admiral

^You mean use a Miranda class for the Enterprise-C? That would be kinda hard to do, considering the Ent-C is canonically an Ambassador class.

18. C.E. Evans

^^^
    I think he means a series without the Enterprise-C (or at least without it being the hero ship of the series).

19. Bry_Sinclair

Bry_Sinclair Vice Admiral Admiral

I mean I love the Ambassador-Class and it would be great to see more of it, whether the E-C or another ship, but that the Miranda-Class deserves some love, since it's always the bridesmaid and never the bride :lol:

20. ConRefit79

For the title, I think Star Trek : The Lost Era would work well.

The more I think about this, the more I think we need to break the mold a little. What if they had the last 3 or 4 years of the Enterprise B. That crew going out valiantly. Then have the Enterprise C until the battle of Narendra III.

Shows like the Walking Dead shows that you can introduce new characters and kill off others and still work. They could introduce Garrett as a XO of another ship working with the Enterprise B in the last season.