Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 23, 2013.

?

Rate the comics

1. Excellent

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Above Average

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

2. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

^My bad. I could have sworn they were in 2233. It would be cool if Garber was Kor. He did a great job in that deleted scene :klingon:

3. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well in the Nero comic Kor did show up in 2333 as the leader of the Klingons that captured the Narada.

4. Pauln6

Pauln6 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I hope they re-use some of the 'established' villains more than once.

I prefer longer stories but the Redshirts Tale was by far the strongest single shot story. A really good read.

I was disappointed in the conclusion to Countdown to Darkness. It was an interesting build up and then a tease but they may resolve it properly after the movie which would be fun.

Is a movie adaptation planned? There will be a conspicuous gap in the narrative if not.

5. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Nothing announced yet. I say yet since the Trek XI adaptation wasn't released until 2010.

6. Mr. Laser Beam

Mr. Laser Beam Fleet Admiral Admiral

Actually when we first meet Kor, we have absolutely no idea how old he is. I'm not aware of any mention of his age anywhere in an episode.

7. Christopher

In "Blood Oath," Odo says that Kor "must be a hundred years old" and Koloth is "probably a hundred and fifty years old," but those are rough at best, seeing as how the episode is 103 years after "Errand of Mercy."

8. Mr. Laser Beam

^ But nobody confirms it, do they? So Odo could simply have got it wrong.

9. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

Well the third trailer kills the "The mystery ship might be April's Enterprise Theory".

10. yenny

yenny Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

11. Christopher

^To be more specific, that's a conjectural design of a Constitution-type ship using Kelvin-era components, as explained here.

12. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Every time I saw April he reminded me of someone. I assumed the artists might have used an actor as a photo reference. I racked my brain and then it struck me, April looks like Bruce Boxleitner. Then I had second thoughts and decided he looked like Roscoe Born.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Pretty meager lead-in to the new film. Nowhere near as fun as Countdown was.

14. Mr. Laser Beam

I hope there is at least a reference to April in the film, even if he doesn't appear (which he probably won't; otherwise we would have heard about it).

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Commander Red Shirt

I totally agree. Countdown to Darkness did nothing to excite me about the new film and the sci-fi/Star Trek tropes really turned me off.

16. DarKush

DarKush Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just finished CtD. I enjoyed it. If the story and action had been punched up a bit more I would've been happy if this plot had been the movie. I pictured Jon Voight as April.

That being said I didn't enjoy it as much as I did Countdown. There were so many little geek out moments in Countdown and there were only a handful here. Countdown was much less constrained because it could do whatever it wanted in the 24th century for the most part.

It was good seeing Captain April and I'm guessing this Admiral Marcus character is Carol Marcus's dad. Wasn't expecting to see a Mudd or that she would be Bajoran (?). It was also cool seeing the Klingons, though I wish they would ditch the leather helmets and I don't like that new Klingon ship design.

17. jla1987

jla1987 Lieutenant Junior Grade Red Shirt

Overall, I have to rate it as average. Issues 3 & 4 pumped me up for the movie a bit more (I'm already excited for it regardless of tie-in comics), but still the whole shebang wasn't nearly as entertaining as the Ongoing series or Countdown.

18. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I found CTD to be entertaining on its own merits. But it did nothing to excite me for Into Darkness. The last page felt so tacked on, like, "oh crap, we better throw a mention into Cumberbatch's character!"

19. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

After seeing the movie
    This contrivance doesn't seem so far-fetched or out of the blue. From the new movie, we see that Admiral Marcus must have had this back door system installed into every ship: that's how he must have cut the Enterprise's engines on the Klingon border. I always thought it odd that April's secret password was "Caroline" instead of, say "Sara." Now I see that the Caroline password is actually Marcus' selection, probably being his daughter's full first name.

20. Mr. Laser Beam

Is any of this Harry Mudd stuff (i.e. his daughter) in the film?