ST Phase 2: MIND-SIFTER

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by Bixby, Sep 12, 2014.

1. PonyHorton

PonyHorton Lieutenant Junior Grade

For the primary presentation in the episode itself, I desaturated most if not all of the color footage to emulate what had been done in TOS.

However, I left the color footage intact for the Time Presentation Easter Egg at the end of the BTS stuff, just because good, FREE color footage from the 1930's and '40's is so rare I felt it would be an interesting look at history.

I also figured, how do we really know what The Guardian can do? Maybe color images are doable for it.

2. GSchnitzer

GSchnitzer Co-Executive Producer In Memoriam

Pony, you are a man of few words.

3. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

I was kidding around there, but if the color had appeared IN episode it would have made no sense that the Guardian shows most things in b&w and then others in color. ;)

4. Maurice

5. GSchnitzer

The screening is being arranged by one of our staffers--James Vergon ("Verg"). Verg is located in Santa Cruz; I'm not sure how he has the connection to the Balboa Theatre in The City.

We don't have many (any?) of the actual Producers in the bay area, so Verg might be our sole representative.

Although tickets are free, please make sure you secure them from the website in advance. (I'm not sure why that's an important point.)

6. Maurice

Well, that theater is literally two short blocks from me so if any of you were gonna be there I'd wander over.

7. PonyHorton

There will be a panel discussion afterward, at least 45 minutes worth, I think. I will be on the panel taking questions, and I think the director Mark Edward Lewis will be there, and possibly Rivkah Raven Wood, but you might check other sources to verify.

8. PonyHorton

Oh, and as to The Guardian's presentation in B&W being regarded as canon, I'm flexible on that one mostly because the reason it was B&W on CITY ON THE EDGE OF FOREVER was likely because that was the only cheap or free stock footage available. Color TV was still very new, and some shows still shot in B&W.

Also, Desilu was not very rich and we know TREK had to do a lot of dumpster-diving. Color stock footage of a Roman chariot race would have been wildly expensive, but B&W footage was available cheap or free in the studio library. Same with the rest of the stock images in The Guardian's time stream.

I'm sure if color had been cheap and abundant, it would have been used.

9. Maurice

My guess is they'd not have mixed b&w and color footage, since it draws attention to itself. Bob Justman would surely have protested. ;)

Dunno what "other sources" to check, but if Pony was going to be there I'd for sure stroll over. :)

Here's a pic I took of the theater a few years ago when my neighbor (a general contractor) was just finishing reworking the blade sign and marquee. They're doing a A Tribute to Leonard Nimoy: Double Feature on the 25th, showing TWOK and TSFS back to back.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 15, 2015
  10. GSchnitzer

Below are hypertext links to three different downloads of our episode "Mind-Sifter."

One is an MP4 file that should work for your tablet or phone.

The other two are burnable DVD ISO image files if you want to burn your own DVD. (One is a single layer disc at 4.7GB and the other is dual layer disc at 9.5GB.)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IObqwUkhLlbW9iTXlNVFJTY1U/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IObqwUkhLlOHRiTlREMHBBT3c/view

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B2IObqwUkhLlVFR4R2ZWLTVmVmM/view

11. mybandy

mybandy Ensign Red Shirt

Hello all,

Been watching TOS since 1966 when it was TOS(The. Only. Series). So here's the somewhat long winded impressions of just one 59 y/o life long TOS fan. It really felt like 1969 and a brand new episode. I'm a big fan of this story. I read the original ST/NV in 1976 and this was my favorite in the book. The look and feel of your work is nothing short of amazing! Both sets of effects are incredible. Part of the greatness of Trek for me is to see it as it was in it's era so I preferred the 60s effects. So glad the producers gave fans a choice, or to enjoy both, as I did. I had no problem with the binary story. The two stories complemented each other and smoothly moved the action briskly forward. I was fascinated throughout and each time I watch, I find something new.
    I do miss Cawley's Kirk and like others, will have to see a couple of eps with Brian Gross fully as Kirk to get a handle on him. But did a great job as a battered Kirk and I certainly look forward to future eps.
    Brandon Stacey was just terrific as Spock. He really caught the suppressed strain Spock was under between his search for his friend and the hostility of the crew. The chemistry in his scenes with McCoy were just fantastic.
    Jeff Bond is quite simply the best McCoy since DeForest Kelley, bar none! Nuff said.
    The weakest links in NV/PII for me have always been Scotty and the previous Dr. McCoy. I hate to take away from two men who have devoted so much to this project for so long, but as these iconic characters, they just don't work for me. John Kelley never got close to the spirit of McCoy, at least IMHO, especially the way Bond does. Charles Root just has never been able to nail down Scotty for me, especially Scott's big personality.. He comes across to me as very deliberate and wooden and the accent is just so forced and inauthentic. Sorry, but it is what it is.
    All in all, a wonderful story and thanks to all who devote their own time and money to this labor of love. As a 50 year fan, I sure appreciate it! I'll be heading to the site to donate.

12. ElimGarak.93-99

ElimGarak.93-99 Captain Captain

Thank you so much!
    Its been so long since there was a ISO to download.
    The last I recall was 'World Enough And Time', but I believe that had a reason.

13. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

Sadly, I've tried to download the 4.7 GB ISO more than once, and I keep getting an error message after 10+ hours. I got the bigger one fine, but I have no way to PLAY that one.

14. Maurice

Huh, well, it turns out several people from the production were there at the screening up the street. I didn't go because I was under the impression it was just going to be a screening without any cast/crew present. Oh well.

15. GSchnitzer

16. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

OK, got my Kickstarted perk Mind Shifter blue ray on Monday. Great! Checking out added extras. Phony Hilton's work is great, but it cuts off before the ending. I have read about the water issues and history. Would have been nice to see the ending/comments. Great work by all who labored and toiled over this GREAT DVD. Thanks again

17. GSchnitzer

We are lucky to have Phony Hilton on our team.
    :wtf:

18. Maurice

At least they finally did. Trekmovie NEVER covered TTI, and I find their review/news policy baffling in general.

19. DCR

DCR Commander Red Shirt

That is baffling, fan film news doesn't get much bigger than TTI.

20. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

My theory on that is that they were so invested in the idea that TTI was The ST Fan Film World's 'Unfinished Symphony' that they didn't want it finished.

Let me assure you that there were plenty of us who are VERY GRATEFUL it was finished.