Khan's Into Darkness Appearance change finally explained

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by BlueMetroid, Feb 27, 2014.

1. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

yeah im thinking that's probably what happened ..

Orci - 'hey lets include a line about why he looks nothing like khan..plus maybe a photo of Montalban that Spock finds'

JJ -'nah the non trekkies wont get it or care..save it for the comics'

2. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

They actually shot a scene explaining Carol's accent change, which was cut. That they didn't even shoot one for Khan shows it had even less priority for them.

3. Khan 2.0

Khan 2.0 Commodore Commodore

maybe they didnt figure BC khan would be a problem...until it was finally revealed BC was playing khan and everyone was like "WHAAAAAA???!!" so they though oh crap we better come up with an explanation in the comics

4. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think it's more that the IDW comics are just being over-the-top fanwanky, rather than anything in any way deemed necessary by Abrams' people. A Trek novel once tried to explain why the TOS-1701 looked more advanced than the NX-01 Enterprise, for example. Anyone who thinks that was necessary needs a reality check, IMHO.

5. JarodRussell

JarodRussell Vice Admiral Admiral

In Iron Man 3, Ben Kingsley says he got plastic surgery to act as Mandarin. It's a three second line.

6. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well, Carol's accent is something that would have been noticed by the casual viewers, given her father doesn't have the same accent.

If you want to go there, Iron Man 3 also pulled off a better plot twist with the Mandarin than STID did as Khan.

7. Aragorn

Aragorn Fleet Admiral Admiral

They wiped his memory, changed his face and put him behind the wheel of the VIPER program? :p

8. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

I think we all know the 'real' reason why Khan became 'white' is because the original actors selected decided for one reason or another decided against being in the movie.

I know some of the other actors in the movie changed eye colour, accent, shape, personality and ethnicity too. The problem with Khan was that in Space Seed his ethnicity was made a big deal (even though it was inaccurate even then). With other TOS 'villains' like Gary Mitchell, Ben Finney, Daystrom, Kodos their ethnicity was never mentioned.

My fanboy explanation is that Khan was planted into a Sikh tribal group as a young boy to learn about warrior techniques and to lead the revolution in India/Pakistan. That he was a Sikh by choice.

I just think its something we gotta live with. Like the other differences between nuTrek and Prime Trek. Like the change of actors/actresses in DS9. Its just unfortunate that they couldn't get a 'Sikh' actor of sufficient 'standing' to play the role. Its just not that big of a deal to me. Lots of other things in nuTrek I'm more concerned about.

While I can accept ther comic explanation of how I just can't accept the reason of why.

9. SeerSGB

SeerSGB Admiral Admiral

Just to really piss with people they should have explained that both men were but one "Khan". There were several Khans; special augments mean to be "queen bees" of small groups of augments, that were launched into space.

10. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

John Harrison was a fiction created the moment I was awoken by your Admiral Marcus to help him advance his cause, a smokescreen to conceal my true identity.

It's only an assumption on the part of some viewers that the above refers solely to renaming.

11. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I thought the real reason was another vain attempt to keep the secret. "Hey guys, they'll never think it's Khan if we make him a white guy!"

12. BigJake

BigJake Vice Admiral Admiral

^ I do believe in the last round we played of "But Ricardo Montalban Was White So What's The Big Deal," somebody cited Abrams as being supposedly uncomfortable with featuring a South Asian as a villain because 9-11 or something, which hopefully is not true as it would be a fairly lame explanation.

13. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.
    Agreed.

14. Devon

Devon Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Perhaps we should have a comic series explaining why Saavik looks like two completely different people between two films as well.

15. Tulin

Tulin Vice Admiral Admiral

With the most wonderful man in the world!

Indeed.

In the OP's rush to appear to be the pinnacle of PCness, I'd posit that to me "awful faux Indian brown face" actually sounds hideously racist in itself.

The fact that the OP noticed the brown skin in the first place indicates he is seeing race - I just always assumed Montalban had a healthy tan.

See the dangers with extreme ridiculous PCness? From somebody else's POV you can come across as a hideous "racist" yourself.

16. iguana_tonante

iguana_tonante Admiral Admiral

How... privileged of you.

17. M'Sharak

M'Sharak Definitely Herbert. Maybe. Moderator

I don't know what you see in the OP's post (I've quoted it above yours, for convenience) that you think is evidence of a "rush to appear to be the pinnacle of PCness"; I honestly don't see any point whatsoever in your bringing up that post.

The balance of your post, however, is going to earn you a trolling warning. Comments to PM, please.

18. Hartzilla2007

Hartzilla2007 Vice Admiral Admiral

One line (which was flat out said to be a best guess) and a painting (based on said guess) from one character does not a big deal make.

19. Hober Mallow

Hober Mallow Commodore Commodore

Must... explain... everything.....

Must... reinforce... delusion... that Star Trek... is... real...

20. Shaka Zulu

Shaka Zulu Commodore Commodore

That's a great one that I, as a person of color, accept. And Abrams is right on that one.

THIS.:lol::guffaw::rofl: