Two-Parters where the 2nd part is better?

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Mr_Homn, Jan 17, 2014.

1. Mr_Homn

Mr_Homn Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Most fans agree that Star Trek, as a franchise, had a tendency of creating two-parters with fantastic first parts and less impressive second parts. Can anyone name some Star Trek two-parters where the second part is better than the first?

Obviously it's a subjective question, but it would be interesting if we could form a general consensus on any two-parters with superior latter halves.

2. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

Redemption II is better than the first half.

3. TheSubCommander

TheSubCommander Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Agreed on Redemption II.

TNG

All Good Things was better than Encounter at Farpoint.
    Chain of Command part 2 was better than part 1
    The gambit part 2 was better
    Best of Both Worlds were equal
    Unification 1 & 2 were equal

DS9

The Maquis part 2 was better than 1
    The Die is Cast was better than Homefront
    Paradise Lost was better than Homefront
    Sacrifice of Angels was better than Favor the Bold
    Purgatory's shadows and By Inferno's light were equal

VOY

Year of Hell 2 was better than 1

ENT

Terra Prime was better than Demons
    Divergence was better than Affliction
    In a Mirror darkly 1 & 2 were equal

4. PicardSpeedo

PicardSpeedo Commander Red Shirt

ENT
    'These Are The Voyages' was better than 'Broken Bow.'

TNG
    BoBW pt 2 was better than BoBW pt 1.

5. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

That's really only the season cliffhanger ones. Any multi-part episodes that are completely within one season are generally pretty damn good in my opinion.

6. Use of Time

Use of Time Commodore Commodore

I consider "Sacrifice of Angels" being superior to "Favor the Bold."

7. Bad Thoughts

Bad Thoughts Vice Admiral Admiral

So how are we supposed to deal with DS9's six- and ten-part arcs or Enterprise's three-parters and Xindi arc? Or are you really only interested in the two-episode arcs?

And this is where I see the problem: yes, SOA is better than its immediate predecessor, but might not be nearly as strong as Rocks and Shoals or Call to Arms (which some would argue is the proper beginning of the six-part arc).

8. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

Favor and Sacrifice are the only two episodes from that run that are a "To Be Continued" combo.

9. Cyke101

Cyke101 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I just realized that two-parters don't tend to be nice to Picard: BoBW, Chain of Command, Gambit, with the prior two taxing Picard physically and mentally (and much more so than any two-parter that doesn't focus on Picard!). If you want to break up the two-hour long episodes, I'd add All Good Things... in there, too.

10. cardinal biggles

cardinal biggles A GODDAMN DELIGHT Moderator

Even though they've since been broken down into two-parters for syndication, I don't think it's fair to compare episodes that were originally filmed and aired as a self-contained two-hour story (i.e., "Encounter at Farpoint", "Way of the Warrior", etc.) with ones that were deliberately structured around a cliffhanger, even if that cliffhanger was resolved the following week.

For my money, "Gambit, Part II" and "Year of Hell, Part II" were better than their first parts. Those are the only ones that come to mind at the moment.

11. DonIago

DonIago Vice Admiral Admiral

How about Part 2 of Scorpion?

12. Cyke101

In my own opinion, I thought Part 1 was stronger. To be fair though, not a lot could top that opening teaser.

13. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

I disagree. Worf's arc is actually resolved (which is the main point of the episode) in the first part.

14. Xerxes1979

Xerxes1979 Captain Captain

II had many more interesting scenes. The Tachyon net, numerous good Data scenes and the interesting tactical battle with Worf and Kurn using a solar flare.

15. Sibo191

Sibo191 Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think for the most part the reason for the first part of a 2 part story being considered better has more to do with psychological than actual quality. Those stories tend to end on a cliff hanger to carry it over to part 2. In effect baiting the audience to want more and come back for part 2.

16. DonIago

I'm a bit torn on Redemption and Scorpion as I haven't seen them in quite some time, though I felt Redemption part 2 had somewhat weaker writing (Data's first officer was such a putz you were left wondering how he ever got through the Academy). For BoBW I have to give the points to part 1.

Actually, a list of the cliffhanger episodes wouldn't be the worst thing ever...

17. Cyke101

Ask and you shall receive: http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Story_arcs

Of course, the page also notes the more unique nature of multi-episode arcs like DS9 and ENT. My personal preference is, if you consider it a 2-parter or not, then go for it.

18. DonIago

19. Cyke101

In the history of Trek two-parters, I believe Descent (ironically) suffers the biggest drop of quality from Part I to Part II.*

*To me, Storm Front was pretty bad, but I consider both parts equally bad overall.

20. suarezguy

suarezguy Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Not having seen Voyager in a longer time, "Chain of Command, Part II" and, very slightly (or at least as good), "The Search, Part II." "The Search, Part I" was much better than "The Jem'Hadar" if you view the trilogy as two two-parters.