More Star Wars films announced

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Candlelight, Feb 6, 2013.

1. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Shadows of the Empire should be first up for animation.

2. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

^ Not sure Disney'd be too interested in the whole rapey lizard-man thing. Also, Shadows is pretty dark, what with Dash and all. I'm not holding my breath for an adaptation there...

3. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    Yeah, Prince Xizor doesn't sound like much of a modern Disney-approved villain given some of the very dark things he says and does in the SOTE storyline, and besides I don't think a 17 year old book like that - no matter how great it is in the overall panoply of Star Wars novels - would be on the list of any new projects, live action or otherwise.

SOTE is widely respected as canon to fill in part of the gap between Empire and Jedi and even got its own line of merchandising in 1996 and '97 (including a Nintendo 64 game), but I think Disney is probably going to steer clear of revisiting most if not all of the older stories and forge ahead with brand new ideas.

All that said, I'd stack SOTE up against almost any novel written and published today.

4. Venardhi

Venardhi Vice Admiral Admiral

Judge Frollo, Gaston, and a dozen other Disney villains are far more "rapey" than Xizor could ever aspire to.

5. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I'm all for that.

6. cooleddie74

I don't mind them using elements from older books and stories to insert into new scripts, but I don't see Disney and Lucasfilm ever adapting SOTE, the Thrawn Trilogy or the Hutt Gambit for the big or small screens.

I think Grand Admiral Thrawn is as cool and interesting as the next SW fan, but some fans just need to accept that those books are not going to be turned into movies. Thrawn himself might be a possibility, but only in brand new stories.

7. Captain Picard.

Captain Picard. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Of course they are going to make more characters and more stories the more you have the more $ you get. I am just going to hate to see star wars be destroyed by Mickey.:sigh::crazy:

8. Gaith

Gaith Vice Admiral Admiral

I dunno... the whole "but you'll like it" pheremones thing could be far harder to show on screen, without the omniscient narrator describing the female's internal struggle. At least with conventional villains, the woman has the freedom to be totally icked by untoward advances.

9. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Disney also owns other production/distribution studios under which PG-13/R rated content could be released, notably Touchstone (much like they used to utilize Miramax). Not that any Star Wars content would be released under anything other than the Disney banner, nor would such high visibility films be able to pull the wool over anyone's eyes.

I will admit, it will be weird to see a Lucasfilm released under anything OTHER than the 20th Century Fox logo.

10. Captain Picard.

True, disney intro will just look wrong:eek:

11. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Plus you'd get a dance scene a la Beauty and the Beast!

12. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Don't worry. You've already damned the movies anyway.

Why don't you wait for one to be made and you know - see it, before crying in every post that Disney has ruined the franchise?

13. Captain Picard.

We will see. But they will probably most likely ruin it greed will get to them.

14. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Yep, Lucas was a saint and never cashed in on his creation.:rolleyes:

15. cooleddie74

People like Kathleen Kennedy, Lawrence Kasdan and J.J. Abrams know what they're doing. I have faith the new movies will be okay.

Hell, they might even kick ass.

16. Kelthaz

Kelthaz Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

The more people who see the movie, the more money Disney will make. The more people who like the movie, the more people will see the next movies. If Disney is greedy as you say, than they will do their best to create an amazing movie that will revive the franchise.

17. JD

JD Fleet Admiral Admiral

Just like they destroyed Marvel, and Pixar? Because everyone knows that Avengers and Toy Story 3 were horrible movies that everyone hated.

18. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

There's constant bitching about how awful the PT was but now people are afraid they will ruin the franchise? We've already had a film focused around a ten-year-old boy, a young queen who likes to dress up in over-the-top dresses with a silly comedy sidekick so I don't know if Disney can do worse. (Actually TPM is my fave of the PT but playing devil's advocate here...)

19. Sindatur

Sindatur The Gray Owl Wizard Admiral

On the plus side, if you hate Disney Star Wars enough, it may cause you to like the Prequel Trilogy :devil:

20. Captain Picard.

They either go that way or they go the greedy way like I said.