Absolute worst character in DS9 History: Ezri Dax

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by ZeNd, Jan 21, 2013.

1. Voth commando1

Voth commando1 Commodore Commodore

In a sub-sub atomic universe with kittens
    No because he would "his" dax.

And a previous poster had a good point Jadzia may have been willing to say consider a one night stand or a more sex and fun oriented relationship while Julian I think imagined it being "love of my life forever"

In any case I was pointing out Julian would be hurt by Ezri's statement about him being plan b.

Lance likes this.
  2. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

Actually, once Julian and Ezri were lovers, he'd more likely think, Thank god Jadzia and I never got together, otherwise Dax would be forbidden to reassociate with me.

kkt likes this.
  3. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

No spit bridge for you!
    :lol:

4. Sakonna

Sakonna Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'm fascinated by any version of the story in which someone is widowed, and then ultimately remarries a good friend/relative of their deceased spouse. If DS9 had kept running, this could have been an interesting sci-fi angle on that same type of dramatic tension -- Bashir's close friend had to die for the woman who ultimately becomes his true love to even exist. That must bring up conflicting feelings.

Lance, Bad Thoughts and mlbach like this.
  5. SigmaNZ

SigmaNZ Cadet Newbie

I just rewatched Ds9 over a few months. And I am currently at the end of S07E02.
    Three things spring out to me that might be worth considering:

1) It was made clear in this episode that Sisko's whole life was ordained by the prophets, and Dax always felt like an important character to Sisko and resultingly the entire Alpha quadrant story. At the appearance of Ezri I became certain: Kirzon the mentor. Jadzia the friend. And Ezri the student. In all of those roles she molded and guided Sisko. Too many things happened in this episode to make it clear to me that Ezri following Sisko in wonder would lead to the penultimate conclusion of this 7 season story.
    Particularly I liked the point at S07E02 43:01 Ezri says to Sisko "Benjamin, that must have been some orb experience." He looks up at her and replies "I'll tell you about it some day."
    Not "... some day Old Man."
    To me, that obvious absence showed a resolution that he saw her as an apprentice not the once equal and previous superior Dax of his past. I mean seriously, no good story is complete without someone in awe of you to tell it to.

2) It was made very clear in an earlier season that the Symbiotes were actually compatible with a much larger percentage of the population than the commission ever wanted to admit. This opens the door for Kirzon to be "The ready". Jadzia was clearly 'The conflicted' or 'Ready with a measure of effort and determination'. Leaving Ezri as simply the Dax who was 'Not ready'. Ideal for the roles they needed to play in guiding Sisko. And totally allowed by the shows canon writing.

3) At the end of S07E02 note the position of all the main characters in the last scene. Then look at Ezri's clearly eye contact driven look off camera in the final shot. Worf had turned around by then. It was clear her gaze was met by Julian. Brilliant foreshadowing!

Honestly. For me, at this point, Ezri is just the conclusion of truly masterful multi arc story telling. I was as sure she would turn up at the end of S07E01 as I was that Quark would volunteer to go with Worf, Julian, and O'brien on Jadzias Stovokor mission. The story was so cleverly written that nothing else made sense.

As such, at this point I love Ezri. And I will go so far as to say that Ds9 could not have been complete without her.

Lance, Kilana2, Sareesataka and 2 others like this.
  6. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I hadn’t thought about the reverse aging of the character until you brought it up. Sort of like Merlin in the Arthur story.

7. Gul Sengosts

Gul Sengosts Commander Red Shirt

Ezri the worst character? Have you ever seen Rom?

STEPhon IT and Kilana2 like this.
  8. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

I prefer Rom over Bareil Antos. How could Kira fall in love with such a boring character. Even Shakaar was more interesting.

9. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Have you seen Leeta?

STEPhon IT likes this.
  10. nutshell

nutshell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I liked Ezri, but there were too many episodes devoted to her.

The worst in DS9 was Vic F. Close second was Keiko.

11. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Whether Ezri was a good character or not, is entirely debatable. Was she the worst character ever on DS9? C'mon, seriously? Considering the number of odd characters that have shown up on DS9, calling Ezri "the worst" is overly harsh and in the realm of hyperbole.

12. Gul Sengosts

I was tempted to include her in my post--she's awful--but didn't because she's thankfully just a minor side character with little screen time. Rom however is a semi-regular who disgraces much more of DS9's time.

STEPhon IT likes this.
  13. Kilana2

Then a meeting between Rom and let's say Neelix must be a nightmare for you....:D Joined by Mr. Shut-up-Wesley.

14. Gul Sengosts

Yeah, I really don't like those guys either. Bajoran women seem to have really bad taste in men. Still those are relatively minor side characters, Rom has far too much screen time and is the prime example of Trek makers' misguided attempts at humour, I mean no, showing someone being a stupid idiot doesn't equal funny, not at all. Then there was that episode where Bashir's past is revealed, which I found interesting, but they decided to ruin it again with that insufferable Rom-Leeta romance

Neelix and Rom yes, total nightmare... In hindsight I don't hate Wesley that much. Sure he's annoying, but nowhere near as dreadful as Rom, Leeta and Neelix.

Kilana2 likes this.
  15. Kilana2

Bad Wesley moments were the result of bad writing. I did like Wesley as someone who did a mistake and was punished. I didn't like it when he became a superbeing. Like Jake Sisko it would have been nice to see another Starfleet officer's son not following in his parent's footsteps.

Gul Sengosts likes this.
  16. kkt

kkt Commodore Commodore

Wesley was truly awful. His only good scene was with Picard when he and other cadets were court martialed for doing the forbidden maneuver at their air show. Yes, it was the writer's fault for not writing him like a real kid, and I'm glad the DS9 writers didn't make the same mistake with Jake. Bad characters usually come from bad writing, at least mostly -- Masterson could play good scenes, if only she had lines other than "Oh, Rom!" IMO, Wesley managed to be worse than Rom, worse than Leeta, maybe even worse than Neelix.

17. nutshell

nutshell Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

On my most recent viewing I actually liked Rom a lot.

Kilana2 likes this.
  18. STEPhon IT

STEPhon IT Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

True.
    OMG! Very true.
    What were the producers thinking when they made Rom some sort of genius??? He's a doofus.

19. Sareesataka

Sareesataka Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

Rom gets a bad rap, but he's okay. He had quite the evolution as a character. He started off as one of the dumber characters on the show. Odo once said "Rom couldn't fix a straw if it were bent". He then became the genius who came up with the idea of self-replicating mines. And he lands Leeta. Who knew?

Gary Mitchell and Kilana2 like this.
  20. mlbach

mlbach Captain Captain

I like Rom’s evolution as a character. Quark thought he was an idiot, but that was because Rom wasn’t intelligent in subjects important in Ferengi culture.

Kilana2 likes this.