Seat belts.

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by wolf123450, Mar 28, 2013.

1. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I liked it when Harry got blown out into space, but then they ruined it.

2. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Finally, someone was watching the same Voyager I was.

3. Melakon

I knew someone was going to pounce on that. :D

4. R. Star

R. Star Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Well as Tom Paris said as he loomed menacingly over Harry's bed... "It's amazing the things you learn in prison."

5. Melakon

Just as Buster Kincaid was sidekick to Captain Proton, Harry got his Kincaid busted by Tom.

6. hxclespaulplayer

hxclespaulplayer Captain Captain

Not VOY, but Data, Riker and Troi are wearing seatbelts in the shuttle at the start of "Power Play"!

7. R. Star

That's only because they read the script and knew it was going to crash. ;)

8. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

And yet no one wore seat belts in Enterprise.

9. Melakon

But the NX-01 had all those nifty handgrabs in the corridors, near chest level so you could crush your ribs sailing into them when grav plating failed. Maybe they were on the bridge too.

10. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

AND STILL IT CRASHED.

11. Third Nacelle

Third Nacelle Captain Captain

A ship jumps to warp and no one inside feels movement. A ship comes to a dead stop and no one inside feels movement. A ship does all sorts of tactical maneuvers and no one inside feels movement.

Why? Because it has inertial dampeners, and down is where the gravity plating is.

So why would a ship's occupants get thrown about from a disruptor blast? I could understand mild shaking or vibration, but I always thought being thrown across the bridge was a bit ridiculous.

12. R. Star

The same reason the lights dim when they go into battle. It's more dramatic.

13. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

The inertial dampeners are told by the helm to prepare for a change in speed when the helm is telling the engine to speed the hell up or slow the hell down, so the dampeners can be given seconds to react, rather than hundredths or thousandths of a second of a second.

14. Trekky0623

Trekky0623 Ensign Red Shirt

Dialogue, no matter how witty, doesn't make up for a ridiculous plot, or the ruining of characters.

I mean, are we really to believe that Sybok can simply show people what they're afraid of and do some counseling, and suddenly the whole crew is ready to turn on Kirk? Sulu, Chekov, and Scotty literally JUST got done risking their lives and careers to help Kirk bring Spock back, and now they all turn on him? It just doesn't make any sense, and reeks of Shatner's obsession with his character.

Further evidence of this obsession is the stated reason of sending the broken Enterprise to go to Nimbus, that while other ships are available, no captains are. Seriously? So the entirety of Starfleet, compared to Kirk, is no so incompetent they can't even go negotiate for some hostages. I'm willing to buy the old "We're the only ship in range," but buying that other ships are there, but Starfleet just doesn't trust any of them. Nonsense.

Further, just PUT KIRK ON ANOTHER SHIP. Your plot has to make sense, or it won't be believable, and will suffer.

Gah, this movie sucks.

EDIT: And, we know that Sybok's ability isn't magic, because both McCoy and Spock were able to see through it. So the rest of the crew are just seen as gullible. And, in the original script, McCoy and Spock were going to turn! They refused to do the movie unless that was changed, and thank God, otherwise it would've had to be renamed The Kirk Movie.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  15. R. Star

It's not like they didn't just do a pass of the Excelsior in spacedock on that very first scene. Or are they saying that it's still broken from whatever Scotty did to it in ST3? Wait.. I bet there's someone who could fix that pretty easily anyways!

16. Trekky0623

Trekky0623 Ensign Red Shirt

Worf probably suggested seat belts at some point and got shot down. Because it's Worf.

17. R. Star

Seatbelts are without honor. A true Klingon warrior would defeat the forces of inertia.

18. Melakon

A Klingon warrior does not depend on a strip of polyester fabric to save his life in a vehicular accident.