Abrams Directing Star Wars

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kamdan, Jan 24, 2013.

1. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    SW novels? What a bunch of geeks :)

2. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Commodore Commodore

*psst* They wrote Trek books too, y'know. ;)

3. DalekJim

DalekJim Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

The concept was alright. Having exclusively Dark Jedi or gangsters as villains was very old hat and the Vong were a serious outside threat akin to the Dominion in DS9.

The Legacy era was a real step backwards though. A cowardly return to the same old Star Wars formula.

4. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Hence the phrase "Vector Prime, perhaps?" :p

So you never finished the Thrawn trilogy?

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I have all three and never even cracked open the last two.

6. Set Harth

IMO they're better than his later work.

7. cooleddie74

cooleddie74 Fleet Admiral Admiral

The Warped Sector of the Demented Quadrant
    I tend to forget Vector Prime was a Yuuzhan Vong story. The post-ROTJ books aren't exactly my forte or preference. :)

8. The Doctor

The Doctor Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I enjoyed the 'Hand of Thrawn' duology for the way it thumbed its nose at the ridiculously over-powered Jedi tricks that Luke used in the other tie-in media. Zahn's interpretation of The Force seems most in keeping with the OT, IMHO.

His Thrawn trilogy really is where Star Wars tie-in books begin and end, though. No others have even come close.

9. cooleddie74

Shadows of the Empire and the Thrawn books tend to be the novels most mentioned by my friends who are into Star Wars. I hear the occasional mention of the Han Solo and Lando Calrissian trilogies written in the late seventies and early eighties but if a book is going to be spoken of by my friends it'll probably be SOTE or the Zahn trilogy simply because they're the most well known and had the greatest advertising pushes.

10. Ryan8bit

Ryan8bit Commodore Commodore

Maybe Cumberbatch is really playing Thrawn in this movie, and the new Star Wars movie will be a crossover? :D

THRAWWWWWWWWWWWWWN!

11. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

And they still are! :)

12. Set Harth

Though he didn't contradict anything Luke did in other sources, he did have him become convinced he had been using too much of the Force and rein in his use of it to what he considered a proper level.

13. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

Actually VP had even more advertising including a tv commercial by Mark Hamil.

14. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

To be honest, I found the Thrawn trilogy to be very overrated. Nearly swore me off Star Wars novels completely. As it is, I think I've read ten, that's counting each Thrawn book seperately.

Actually, the idea of Cumberbatch playing Thrawn is kind of cool sounding.

15. DalekJim

I think the Thrawn books are better written and plotted than any of the movies :).

16. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't know, it's basically three 500 page books of a blue skinned guy staring at paintings
    before getting killed by his creepy bodyguard for some reason which I can't be bothered to remember.

17. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Fleet Admiral Admiral

I think they are both.

I do think they're not quite worthy of the praise usually attributed to them, but they do hone a certain level of sophistication not seen in the films. But that's usually par for the course with lit over film.

I do think Thrawn is a very interesting character and, ironically, how I've always envisioned what Khan should have been. However, I do think Zahn went a little too far with him. Like there were times I think he was a little too prophetic and a little too cunning to be fully believable.

Also, I could never get passed Zahn's obsession with the word "grimace." :lol:

18. DalekJim

True, but they remain some of the best pieces of Star Wars literature. Not THE best (Might not even make my Top 5 Star Wars novels!) but certainly memorable. And better than bloody Shadows of the Empire.

My favourite McDonald's mascot.

19. cooleddie74

I did enjoy Tatooine Ghost. For the uninitiated it's the hardcover from a few years back wherein Luke and Leia discover information about their late grandmother Shmi and begin to learn a lot about the Skywalker family history other than "dad was a Sith Lord and cybernetic monster."

Dark Lord: The Rise of Darth Vader - set immediately after the conclusion of Episode III: ROTS and chronicling the earliest days of Darth Vader in the black suit - is an amazing SW novel and fills in much needed information about the beginnings of Vader's quarter century of co-rule at the side of Emperor Palpatine. It's also the novel that depicts the new Empire's subjugation of the Wookiee homeworld of Kashyyyk and creating the system of slavery that would eventually trap Chewbacca in its snare.

20. Herkimer Jitty

Herkimer Jitty Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Did somebody just say something? :p