TrekBBS movie ranking thread!

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by F. King Daniel, Aug 14, 2013.

?

What are your favorite Trek movies? Tick all that apply

1. Star Trek: The Motion Picture

36.6%
  2. Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan

85.2%
  3. Star Trek III: The Search For Spock

37.3%
  4. Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home

60.6%
  5. Star Trek V: The Final Frontier

14.1%
  6. Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

70.4%
  7. Star Trek Generations

21.1%
  8. Star Trek: First Contact

64.8%
  9. Star Trek: Insurrection

9.9%
  10. Star Trek Nemesis

9.2%
  11. Star Trek

52.8%
  12. Star Trek Into Darkness

49.3%
  13. Galaxy Quest

27.5%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

This is why I never get into the debate over good versus bad. It is all subjective opinion and when one person says a movie is either good or bad someone will come in and disgaree and then the fights begin. That is why I just talk about enjoying a movie or not enjoying a movie. It avoids all of that garbage.

2. ichab

ichab Commodore Commodore

I don't know of ANYONE who thinks Batman and Robin are better than any of the Nolan films. It's pretty much regarded as one of the worse superhero films of all time and one that killed the franchise for a time.

3. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

Oh, I can think of at one poster on this very board who will tell you at great length how BATMAN & ROBIN is better than the Nolan films which he hates with a blazing, incandescent passion.

Not going to name names, because I don't feel like baiting him, but, trust me, there are people who feel that way . . . .

4. Gojira

Gojira Commodore Commodore

I don't get into the good or bad arguments as far as film quality goes because it is subjective. I will say what films I enjoy and those that I do not. While I do enjoy the Nolan Batman movies (Batman Begins is my favorite of them) I enjoy Batman Forever and Batman and Roibn more than the Nolan trilogy. The Nolan trilogy is just to joyless for me.

5. Commishsleer

Commishsleer Commodore Commodore

Yeh I thought the same. Everybody's entitled to their own opinion. But if that affects the merchandising of the movie by purporting to be representative of the Star Trek community as a whole then it is a concern.
    Though I must admit the BASSSERY never suggested it was but as it goes viral the justification gets lost.

If they are saying 'even the Star Trek fans think STID is the worst'... then its misleading because I don't really think that's the case or even close to it.

6. bbjeg

bbjeg Admiral Admiral

1) Star Trek: First Contact
    2) Star Trek Generations
    3) Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan
    4) Star Trek (film)
    5) Star Trek IV: The Voyage Home
    6) Star Trek VI: The Undiscovered Country

I can watch the rest of them but those are my favorite.

7. Anji

Anji Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Assisting in the birth of baby Horta on Janus VI
    Well, I'm sorry but I just can't believe that Abrams would think this movie would be well received considering he was trying to remake TWOK.

By drawing so closely from TWOK he looks like he is just going to remake movie after movie and not produce any original material.

If I didn't know any better I would think he purposely made a movie that would draw fan criticism so he could get out of his committment to Star Trek and take the gig with Star Wars.

8. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yeah, given the financial success of Star Trek Into Darkness and its generally positive reception from critics, it just doesn't make any sense that Abrams could have suspected that the film was going to be well received.

I suppose the only reasonable explanation is that despite his best efforts, it was a hit.

He's also got to be the luckiest mofo on Earth. Even though he tried his damnedest to sabotage the Star Trek franchise, and failed, they gave him Star Wars anyway!

:rolleyes:

9. CorporalClegg

CorporalClegg Admiral Admiral

So Abrams is Mitch McConnell?

10. CorporalCaptain

CorporalCaptain Fleet Admiral Admiral

I don't see any other explanation.

11. CaptainDonovin

CaptainDonovin Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I must be easily entertained or just a bad Trek fan (I've heard both) but I can get enjoyment out of pretty much all the movies mostly because I just choose to overlook many of the things that piss others off. Insurrection I find a very good Star Trek movie despite the fact you can fly the E-E with an Atari joystick. I even like Nemesis, would I have rather it been a Wrath Of Sela movie - yes.

As for Galaxy Quest - if they're going to have a Star Trek parody on their list they should have added Master & Commander, a movie I've heard some of these die hards say was the best non Trek, Trek movie.

12. Kinokima

Kinokima Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I enjoy all the TOS movies to a degree but to keep things simple I voted for the trilogy starting with Khan and ending with Voyage.

I do think Search for Spock is a bit underrated, especially compared with The Undiscovered Country.

13. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Not well received by who exactly?

http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/star_trek_into_darkness/

91% of viewers who saw it (219,760), liked it and it has an average rating of 4.3/5.

87% of movie reviewers who saw it (242) liked it and it has an average rating of 7.5/10.

I think you mean you can't believe J.J. Abrams thought you would like it.

Last edited: Aug 16, 2013
  14. sonak

sonak Vice Admiral Admiral

in a figment of a mediocre mind's imagination
    haha

no love for Star Trek Insurrection

15. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

Final Frontier has made it into double digits!!

:: happy dance ::

16. Cyrus

Cyrus Vice Admiral Admiral

I voted for TMP, The Voyage Home, First Contact & Into Darkness. Based on this trend my next favorite will be Star Trek 16.

17. 1001001

1001001 Serial Canon Violator Moderator

I can find something to enjoy in all but TMP and Nemesis. I've tried to like them, but they're just...not my cup of tea, let's say.

;)

My favorites are: Wrath of Khan, Undiscovered Country, Generations, First Contact, Star Trek, and Into Darkness.

I am surprised to see Insurrection behind Nemesis (at this point) at the bottom.

18. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

TUC is ahead of TVH? Unexpected.

19. Greg Cox

Greg Cox Admiral Premium Member

There are always going to be people who don't take comedies seriously enough . . . . .

20. austen_pierce

austen_pierce Captain Captain

I also think it's telling that for all the crap it gets, TFF is ranked (currently) higher than the TNG films, Insurrection and Nemesis. My guess is that the original crew is carrying the votes.