HAHA! I have partly solved the mystery of women...

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Plecostomus, Feb 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crusher Disciple

Crusher Disciple Admiral Admiral

Is that network still on the air? :wtf:

Oh, well. Maybe the economy will get it.

2. blablover5

blablover5 Admiral Admiral

I give my husband a good ribbing too. I think it's human nature to make jokes and pick on those that are close to you.

It's one thing when it's familiar and both sides know one is the friend and say you are humbling yourself at the same time. It's a whole nother thing when it's aimed at one whole group for the sake of showing superiority.

You know what I mean? I had this all great explination in my head last night but now it's gone.

3. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

Are you feeling no pain, Blab?

4. Misfit Toy

Misfit Toy Caped Trek Mod Admiral

I do know what you mean - and I think part of the issue here might be that it's easy (at least it is for me) to think of TrekBBS as a group of friends - of people you know. So what may be seen as good-natured ribbing can ALSO be seen as personal digs - depending on who's reading the posts.

I know I'll be thinking about what I post more now than I usually do. That may be a good thing. ;)

5. Hermiod

Hermiod Admiral Admiral

Way to misrepresent my views there.

Pointing out where men are discriminated against is a necessary evil, but that really has nothing to do with this thread. I only got involved because one poster couldn't keep her stereotypes to herself. Whether you like it or not, that happens far too often here.

Nobody is saying women aren't on the receiving end too but any effort I make to criticize that would be entirely redundant. There's no shortage of posters willing to stand up when women are demeaned and stereotyped.

6. blablover5

I think some of it is that when I used to feel I could give back as much as I got I've been feeling more and more like if I did respond by say trying to prove the point wrong or with my own joke I'd be attacked and then the light hearted thread would take a nasty turn soon and there was all the blame again put on the person who just "didn't get the joke."

So then someone makes a parody thread and that devolves even more into stereotype after stereotype and everyone is suddenly angry.

I hope that with some time, healing, and lots of free chocolate we can go back to having a more open board with opinions from all walks of life and gender where no in is afraid to take a stand for fear of a mob attack.

I think I have to open a coke now and sing a song.

7. blablover5

Oh Hermy if only I could show you what is going on between a lot of female posters and how we personally feel I'd like to hope you'd change your tune but I doubt it highly.

8. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

Then why were you complaining the loss of the 'babe' threads and the draconion rules? As far as I'm aware, no images have been removed by or objected to by a mod in months, if not longer. Occasionally the standard slips, and people have to be reminded where the line is.

The rule is simple: no primary or secondary sexual characteristics in images. Unfortunately, men and women are not made 'uniform', resulting in the fact that a woman's breasts are considered in our society a 'secondary sexual characteristic' whereas a man's breasts are not. The pay-off for this for men is that they can walk down the street topless while women cannot. As a result, an image of a topless woman contravenes the rules, where a similar image of a man does not.

This is a sad anatomical and societal reality, and TrekBBS is powerless to change it.

The treating of people 'equally' can go either way: either we ban all 'gender stereotype' humour from the board, or we accept that humour goes both ways, and people must handle the sort of deep sarcasm of a post like TerriO's upthread.

9. Misfit Toy

I'd like to buy the world a Coke and keep it company. That's the real thing. ;)

10. RevdKathy

RevdKathy How scared are you? Moderator

You got any snow white turtle doves there?

11. Plecostomus

Plecostomus Commodore

Can we stop whipping the dead horse here and either close this thread or take a lighter tone? HELLO PEOPLE PLEASE REMEMBER THE ORIGINAL INTENT OF THIS THREAD WAS TO BE FUNNY.

12. Misfit Toy

I think you're the best ever. Want my Coke?

No, really - you can have it.

See you around...

13. SPOCKED

SPOCKED Admiral Premium Member

I agree, but I doubt any amount of suggestion is going to steer this thing back and therefore with the OPs permission I will close until further notice and/or indefinitely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.