Countdown to Darkness - Review and Discussion

Discussion in 'Trek Literature' started by JD, Jan 23, 2013.

?

Rate the comics

1. Excellent

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  2. Above Average

13 vote(s)
    38.2%
  3. Average

10 vote(s)
    29.4%
  4. Below Average

2 vote(s)
    5.9%
  5. Poor

4 vote(s)
    11.8%
  1. ATimson

ATimson Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Whereas for record purposes I'd think you'd need unique registries. It matters whether the maintenance log or upgrade history you're looking at belonged to the original Defiant or the nee-Sao Paulo.

"Chief, why didn't you replace the dilithium before it decrystalized?"

"The maintenance logs said we did just a month - oh. Wrong NX-74205."

2. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

What's up with the personal jibes?

I have no further interest in your complaints.

3. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

You seem to have misquoted ChristopherPike in an effort to do god only knows what? Reinforce some form of persecution complex? I didn't read it as a jibe towards you, but more a self deprecating joke towards himself. The second sentence and the smiling smiley would seem to point in this direction. :bolian:

As for the comic, I picked up issue one while in London a few weeks ago, was pretty good, I have the other issues on order from my local Comic shop, but due to one thing or another, they didn't get issue two in this week, but should have it this week. From the previews I've read though, it seems like a decent read and the possibility of two ships called Enterprise in Into Darkness seems like a fun thing to do, especially if it is meant to be the Enterprise from The Original Series.

4. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

There are real life precedents going both ways. A few years ago, a local grocery store was closed, torn down, and a new store owned by the same company was built on the same property with the same management and staff. The new store had a different store ID number than the old one.

On the flip-side, a local Wal-Mart shut down and management and staff relocated to a new location on the other end of town. That new store kept the same store ID number as the old one.

In the end, I go with canonical precedent. Starfleet never reuses the same registry number between ships. The Enterprises always have a different letter added to the end. The only true reuse is the Defiant, and even then the producers wanted it to have a different registry but extensive use of stock footge prevented that. Therefore, I doubt April's Enterprise was 1701.

5. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

It certainly wasn't intended personally. I don't see how anyone could take that comment personally... unless they felt personally responsible for the content of this comic.

That's a shame, especially since you misunderstood me, and disregarded my attempt to elaborate and difference of opinion, as being argumentative... but yeah, so be it.

Last edited: Feb 23, 2013
  6. The Wormhole

And I just remembered we forgot to mention the issue which features characters slapping their chest insignia to communicate with the ship.

7. Oso Blanco

Oso Blanco Commodore Commodore

Why does everyone assume that the writers/producers would give that much thought to the Enterprise's registry number? In their eyes, it would be a very minor canon violation, just like the ones in the previous movie.

8. Therin of Andor

I dunno? You addressed it to me by name, and it seemed like you were "having a go at me", as we say in Australia. Urging me to say more so you could pull apart my point? I don't even remember what the point was now and I feel no yearning to go back and reread it all. Bulletin boards can be funny things. Especially at 2am local time.

Had we been in a pub, I'd have probably just moved to another table. It seemed a really confrontational thing for you to say. (I went back at the time, reread the posts, and was at a loss to add anything.)

Dimesdan has now also chimed in, but the mods told us not to get personal a few days ago, and he has refused to PM what his original problem was, so yeah, it did feel a bit like persecution, especially now after he leaped to your defence. Must be my Persecution Complex (tm).

Maybe I was just in a sensitive mood at the time, ChristopherPike. I dunno. I really dunno.

9. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll take that as some offence caused by myself then. I must have broken some netiquette rule and so offer an apology then. Although I am bit miffed since neither are anything more than usernames are they? My first name is actually Chris... but I don't react badly whenever that's used or Christopher (which I've never been too fond of in full).

Anyway, I've already forgotten what my issue was about the comic. I'm not sure it even mattered...

10. Therin of Andor

I was told once that, when a poster wants to be deliberately patronizing (without seeming to be flaming and thus at risk of being sanctioned by a mod), they'll use your username - or your real name - in the comment. That strategy can also have a similar effect in a classroom, at a party, or at work. ("You've been here long enough, Ian, to know that we have a protocol for doing that...") Use a person's name in a comment and you can make that seemingly innocent/helpful comment sound really insulting.

So your innocent comment felt like a taunt to me. Thanks for the apology; I manage to upset people online often, I'm told - and it's almost always a shock to realise that my comments have been taken the wrong way.

11. T'Bonz

T'Bonz Romulan Curmudgeon Administrator

Well guys - and I don't even know how many are involved, here, I don't know what's going on. And I'll be honest, I don't really want to take the time to try to find out what the problem is because it really doesn't belong here anyhow and life's too short. I have enough troubles of my own right now to have to referee some online dispute.

I will say again, as I've said before. NO more personal stuff. Due to my lousy memory, I'm making a note to myself with the 3 names so that if this kind of thing comes up again, I'll just start warning. So this is the last warning.

The forum is to discuss literature - not to snipe at one another. If some have a problem with a poster, please use the ignore function.

Whatever this is, it stops here. See that it does. Because if I do the warning, there is no appeal, and if I think people won't stop, well that is not a good thing, trust me.

There's plenty of good Trek lit to discuss. Please do so, without the personal stuff.

12. Brefugee

Brefugee No longer living the Irish dream. Premium Member

Maybe you were, maybe you weren't.

As for that PM? you never got it then? I sent it several weeks ago after Bonz gave her first little friendly and I decided to lay everything out for you. As you've not replied, I assumed you didn't like what you read and decided not to reply which is no skin off my nose Ian.

Noted and very much understood.

13. Therin of Andor

Nope. Care to resend please?

340 messages in my box, and only three recent ones. None from you.

14. Sto-Vo-Kory

Sto-Vo-Kory Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Has anyone read issue #3 yet?

15. indianatrekker26

indianatrekker26 Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Yeah, i gave it a read last night. I'm just not really caring for this story. It started rather promising in issue 1, but it just keeps going downhill. I can kinda guess at some plot points we'll probably see in Into Darkness, mostly with Spock. But other than that, this mini-series has been a chore to get through.

16. SalvorHardin

SalvorHardin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

17. Allyn Gibson

Allyn Gibson Vice Admiral Admiral

I liked issue #3, right up until the point where April explained how he was able to commandeer the Enterprise. I could not believe that Starfleet copied April's failsafe program from the previous Enterprise into the new Enterprise's computer. My reaction was, "What? How does that even make any foxtroting sense?"

I feel like I've read this particular story before, but I'm having a difficult time placing exactly where.

18. Paris

Paris Commodore Commodore

I felt exactly the same. This is the laziest piece of writing in this series yet. I hate deus ex machina solutions like that. I can not believe that starfleet engineers would be that lazy when setting up the computer systems on the top of the line ships. It's just not believeable at all.
    Why would they "copy" it anyways? It's a completely new ship. Just because of the name Enterprise? Ridiculous.

19. The Wormhole

A problem I'm having so far is why did they bother to make Mudd Bajoran? Based on issue 3, there is nothing in the story the requires her to be a Bajoran and no reason she couldn't have been human. I guess wth her apparentally being Harry Mudd's daughter the thinking was make her part alien to explain how someone as young as Harry Mudd should be could have a grown daughter. Problem with that is there's never been any indication Bajorans age at a different rate than humans.

They should have just made her human. That would mean thta in this timeline Harry Mudd would have to be older. Though I suppose that would place his birth in the pre-2233 zone which must match up with the Prime Universe (assuming his birth isn't already). But really, at this point, maybe we should just throw that idea out and accept the Abramsverse as a seperate reality althogther? Certainly would solve a lot of problems.

20. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Has she said her father's name is Harcourt Fenton Mudd? Perhaps Harry had an older brother.