Sir Patrick Stewart Set the Standard

Discussion in 'Star Trek: The Next Generation' started by 2takesfrakes, Jan 13, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'll have a glass of Château Picard with that statement!

... AGREED!!! Sir Patrick Stewart always delivers. It's like watching a world-class athlete winning the Gold Medal! Even now, in his advanced years, he's managed to keep physically fit. It's good to know not every STAR TREK actor has to bloat in their Golden Years. Again, I find that inspirational about the man.
    Patrick Stewart fans ... unite!

2. Timewalker

Timewalker Cat-lovin', Star Trekkin' Time Lady Premium Member

In many different universes, simultaneously.
    That's some selective editing... :vulcan:

I hope you realize that my original post was not meant to praise TNG.

3. Margaret

Margaret Ensign Newbie

I think Sir Patrick us a brilliant actor.I saw him do his one man ' Christmas Carol '. A few years back and was blown away. However it annoys me when people praise one actor whilst disparaging another. Shatner is a better actor than some people give him credit for. I'm sure he did not win two Emmys out of sentiment.

4. desfem79

desfem79 Lieutenant Commander

opinion, you damned evil thing...

5. Taranis

Taranis Lieutenant Red Shirt

I think this is the lowest statement you spouted yet.
    Stewart is 73
    Shatner is 82
    If you like Stewart more.. great, more power to you, but there is no need to deride another Actor .
    From what I have read from your posts, your trying your best to inflame argument.

6. 2takesfrakes

2takesfrakes Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Untrue! From the first, you ... you people ... have been derailing the topic of this thread - with assorted Shatner comparisons - which was meant to acknowledge and, perhaps, even celebrate the abilities and fine achievements of Sir Patrick Stewart and what he's brought to the STAR TREK legacy. And the fact is that William Shatner is not interested in maintaining his physique and has not been, since the 8O's. Am I meant to pretend otherwise? As to his acting abilities, they are what they are ... but, again, this thread is about Patrick Stewart, after all.

7. urbandefault

urbandefault Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

You asked for opinions.

It's not our fault you don't like what you got.

8. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

I'm on the edge of closing this thread before it turns into a self-righteous food fight. Please cool the personal arguments and stick to the subject with some relevant content.

9. Nerys Myk

Nerys Myk A Spock and a smile Premium Member

Riker was intended to be the "Kirk", so it's unlikely they's cast someone like Kirk for Picard.

10. Shat Happens

Shat Happens Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

That's because DC Fontana, I believe, pointed in the 1970s it made bad tactical sense for the captain and first officer and chief medical officer to endanger themselves together in away missions like always happened in TOS. If they died, the crew and the ship would be crippled.

So GR created Riker+Picard and that talk about away teams since their first scenes in the pilot.

The result was TNG Season One of course. :shrug:

11. Taranis

Ah but you mention Shatner in your first post. :)
    which prompted most of the reactions.

No one as far as I can tell is taking anything away from Patrick Stewart at all.. he is a great actor and very personable when dealing with fans (whatever the franchise).

If you want to applaud Patrick Stewart abilities I am right with you, a Tour de Force actor. but not at the expanse of another.

regards

12. Taranis

Makes a lot of sense not taking all the command crew down as away team. would never have worked on the TOS at least for me..

13. Mutai Sho-Rin

Mutai Sho-Rin Crusty Old Bastard Moderator

After a PM request from the OP, I'm closing this thread. Sorry to have to do so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.