Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoilers

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Bones, Jun 18, 2013.

1. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Re: Why would someone avoid STID but see Iron Man & Man Of Steel? spoi

Did someone either mean to quote a different post from me or another poster? I'm not sure how acknowledging that Bad Robot made the two highest-grossing Star Trek films is bad-mouthing TOS?

2. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

LOL, you're cute that you think that! :lol:

I think after a while the hypocrisy of slamming the new movie for what the old movies and episodes have done has finally driven me up a wall and just proves that there are no true deal-breaker complaints. It's silly.

3. Shazam!

Shazam! Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

What about people slamming Nemesis or The Final Frontier?

It's entirely possible to judge each incarnation of Star Trek on its own merits without the need for added caveats just in case a 40+ year old episode had something similar.

4. Kruezerman

Kruezerman Commodore Commodore

Those two movies were either poorly written or just plain boring. It is indeed, but not to this extreme where people are writing it off as a disaster.

5. Shazam!

Yeah, but there are some episodes that are poorly written and / or plain boring so therefore it's not a valid criticism.

6. Noname Given

Noname Given Fleet Admiral Admiral

They both do.

Paramount owns the JJ Abram's version of the current feature film Star Trek franchise.

CBS owns all the previous versions of Star Trek (all 6 TV series: TOS, TAS, TNG, DS9, VOY, ENT and the TOS based and TNG based feature films.)

That said, BOTH companies have worked together to cross promote where possible and help maximize exposure and profit for one another across the board. I also think CBS is waiting to do anything new (production wise) with Star Trek on TV, until the current series of Paramount Star Trek films have run their full course. Paramount and CBS could always strike a deal and produce a new TV series more in line with the JJ Abrams film universe; or CBS could bring something out with ties to the 'original' universe - or they could just continue to remarket the 700+ hours of TV episodes and the TOS/TNG films going forward.

Time will tell.

7. BillJ

CBS owns it all. That is why Paramount has to pay a licensing fee to them to make Star Trek.

8. Belz...

Belz... Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

In a finely-crafted cosmos... of my own making.

You are in error. When TOS is "slammed", it's in response to a false sense of nostalgia like "Trek was better in the beginning". I don't see people say old Trek was bad therefore you should love new Trek. They say "you criticise new Trek for X, while old Trek had plenty of X."

Your claim, your work.

No, it's not. Yminale said Bad Robot can easily be replaced. BillJ simply responded that it isn't going to happen. You're interpreting it to mean it can't happen, which is not what BillJ said. You are, again, in error.

9. marksound

marksound Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

Back to the topic, I've been a fan for about 40 years.

Maybe some casual Trek fans who aren't immersed in it 24/7 like some other folks are a little turned off by what they expect to encounter at the theater. Fans in costumes and all that crap.

Good job, fandom.

Others won't bother going to see the movie at the theater because we've been turned off by the amateur critics on this forum and other places online.

Good job, fandom.

If the movie suffers at the box office, it's not because it's a bad movie. It's because people can't deal with the fans. Personally, I'm going to wait for the video release.

I saw IM3 at the theater, and I'll probably see MOS there too. But these days, Star Trek fans just get on my nerves.

10. Shazam!

Yeah, people should stop criticising Nemesis.

11. Shazam!

Horseshit.

12. BillJ

I'm on record here as saying it is the best of the four TNG films. :shrug:

13. Belz...

By "others" you mean other casual fans, right ? Not other viewers ?

14. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Awww, c'mon. Fans in costume is really only opening night. I've done it and it was fun. And the people in civvies who attend an opening night seem to enjoy it too.

The general population is hardly going to be monitoring TrekBBS before making a decision to go to a Trek movie.

Really? They think Starfleet-uniformed Trekkies are going to be at every screening? :eek:

If a movie is going to look good on a big screen, I like to see it on a big screen if I can. I know lots of people have huge TV screens these days, but I still enjoy a cinema experience.

Not being a car freak, I would think that the audiences for "Fast and Furious 6" would be more unpleasant to be amongst than some Trek fans.

15. marksound

By "others" I meant a great big giant group of people in a group, or not, otherwise undefineable than by the fact that they won't see the movie because they've been turned off by the blibbityblab just like this.

In other words, "others." :P

16. marksound

Ooh, sorry.

Thanks for playing.

17. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

1. What Star Trek fans allow other Star Trek fans to convince them to not go and see a Star Trek movie?

2. What members of the general public will even see other Star Trek fans blibbityblabbing on bulletin boards so much as to convince them to not go and see a particular Star Trek movie?

3. Are Iron Man and Superman fans not blibbityblabbing on bulletin boards?

18. Belz...

Well then I disagree. I'd be very surprised if anyone outside of fandom even knows this forum, and others like it, exists. If they do, they avoid them because, surprise, they don't care enough about the subject matter. At best they read stuff from IGN or IMDB, etc.

19. marksound

So you're really just agreeing with me in an oppositional manner. :lol:

20. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

When you (general you) hold some aspect of the new film(s) up as unprecedented in a bad way, an unforgivable plothole worse than any that have come previously, a violation of Trek principles and Gene's "vision," or sexist in a way Trek has never been before, you better believe you're going to get called on it if there are numerous examples of that not being the case.

It's the hyperbole and hypocrisy about the new films that's the problem for me, not just having a complaint about it (though some people do get overly defensive about any criticism).