At least 12 killed, 50 injured at midnight showing of Batman movie

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by Dream, Jul 20, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

I heard the only decent job he could get was a McDonalds. Damn, what a shitty economy that we live in right now. This no way excuses his monsterous actions though.:wtf:

2. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

They cut the budget for the UC system when the economy crashed and that probably was the most likely place for someone like him to find employment.

3. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

I find the attacks on parents who take their kids to movies funny. I've actually seen people call people bad parents for doing it.

I'm not the world's greatest parent by any stretch of the imagination but taking your kids to movies doesn't make one a bad parent. I've got three myself who me and my wife (happily married for going on nineteen years) took to movies all starting at young ages.

One is a college student studying criminal justice and doing quite well.

One is an honor roll student entering his sophomore year in high school.

One is getting ready to start school in September and when he had a hearing test six months ago was deemed to have exceptional hearing.

People don't stop being people because they have children. Maybe we're so close as a family because me and my wife didn't dump our kids on a sitter every chance we got.

So people need to quit making this about parenting skills. It simply comes off as people trying to make themselves sound superior compared to others around them.

4. Derishton

Derishton Vice Admiral Admiral

I know this parenting debate is popping up everywhere now in response to this story, and normally I'd be happy to engage in it, but it feels off to have it in this thread.

5. BillJ

BillJ The King of Kings Premium Member

Well, it's an idiotic debate to be having.

I've been to my fair share of churches that are incredibly loud. Should we not take our kids to church?

Amusement parks are incredibly loud. Should we not take our kids there? Should we expose them to the sun all day?

I've seen a brawl break out at the zoo, not to mention all the wild animals. Should we not take our kids there because the opportunity exists something bad can happen?

A chance exists something bad can happen every time you walk out the door. Should we not allow our children to go play or to be strapped into an automobile? All your doing is making them afraid of the world they live in.

A sick fuck started firing bullets in a crowded movie theater, yet you have people who are obsessed with parenting skills.

What a world we live in...

6. Derishton

7. Brolan

Brolan Commodore Commodore

On the babies in the theatre; I have three sons and taking care of a three-month old infant is an exhausting task. I don't blame the parents one bit for seeking some escape.

8. 137th Gebirg

137th Gebirg Admiral Premium Member

And that was after they said yesterday he was shooting an "AK-Like" assault rifle. I was watching this idiot on CNN this morning - he called it an "A-15" with "high capacity ammunition". What does that even mean? No fact checking. No accuracy. The politicizing of the tragedy has begun and all the talking heads have begun talking out there asses and throwing buzzwords from the old 1990's anti-gun playbook. I knew it would happen the second it started - cheapening the true tragedy of what happened that night.

Here's another interesting tidbit - IIRC, Columbine happened the same week the Colorado state legislature was scheduled to vote for the allowance of concealed carry permits. It was expected to pass without any issue. Any ideas of conspiracy theories aside, because of Columbine, it failed. What to they think would have happened if there had been just one other person with a CCW in that theater that reacted quickly enough to stop the carnage?

A tragedy any way you look at it.

9. Haggis and tatties

Haggis and tatties Vice Admiral Admiral

My heart goes out to all those poor people and their family's........truly shocking.

10. Derishton

Just one other person firing into a dark theatre filled with tear gas and screaming people and the noise of a cinematic gun fight on screen? Maybe only a few more people would have died. Fifty people all playing hero and firing into that dark theatre filled with tear gas and screaming people and the noise of a cinematic gun fight on screen? It would be a miracle of anybody got out alive. This argument assumes that only one person would have and use a concealed weapon, and it assumes that just because you have a gun you're more Han Solo than you are a stormtrooper.

That's not to say that permits to carry a concealed weapon might not work in other cases, but I don't think it would have helped here.

11. RoJoHen

RoJoHen Awesome Admiral

I'm not a parent, so I certainly don't have the experience to make a huge judgment, and I don't want to sidetrack this thread any further.

I just know a lot of parents who either get babysitters way too often (usually so they can go out and get drunk) or they never get a babysitter and just assume it's okay to bring their baby anywhere. Some places are simply inappropriate for an infant, and I think a movie theater is one such place. It's not bad parenting, but it can be rude to the other patrons. You may as well be talking on your cell phone through the movie.

12. Dream

Dream Admiral Admiral

What this theater badly needed was a cop patrolling the theater in his police car, looking for any suspicious activity like someone wearing SWAT gear and a buch of guns sneaking through the backdoor of the theater.

There were already several cops at the door before the shooting! Not sure why no one did this.

13. Mr. Adventure

Mr. Adventure Fleet Admiral Admiral

When events like this happen people take stock and reevaluate life. In a link above it made RDJ want to go out and do good deeds. To say people should only focus on this and that is a bunch of bullshit if you ask me, especially when some seem to be more defensive than they are not wanting to talk about certain things.

14. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

Or the nature of 24-hour news which requires lots of filler creates plenty of opportunities for anchors to make mistakes. While there certainly is politicizing that goes on, you shouldn't automatically jump to the conclusion that it's malicious when lack of preparedness, ignorance of the subject matter, or being tired while reporting the same thing twenty times at 2:00 AM might play a factor.

CNN reporters also called the film "The Dark Man Rises" and said it was a Star Wars film at a couple points when I was watching that morning. Does that mean they have a malicious agenda against Batman, or they just screwed up?

15. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

Before TDKR started, I went into the adjacent men's restroom only to discover that a guy had brought his little girl into the restroom with him. Luckily, when he saw me heading for a urinal he figured out that something was about to come out of my pants that his daughter shouldn't be seeing, so he pulled her out of sight, but she shouldn't have been in there in the first place.

In a bad economy it's nice to know stupid people have job security.

16. Locutus of Bored

Locutus of Bored Yo, Dawg! I Heard You Like Avatars... In Memoriam

^ Do you have a macro that alerts you any time someone mentions Star Wars? :p

17. Derishton

Well, since this conversation continued, I can no longer resist. I don't think anyone here is or should be saying that children shouldn't go to movies full-stop. It's about context, and reasonable expectations. If I go to Cars 2, I can have no reasonable expectation that the theater will be child-free; indeed, I'd be more of an outsider than the children. If I go to Twilight, I can have no reasonable expectation that I won't be surrounded by teenaged girls talking on their cell phones and shouting across the theater at each other (maybe I should have the right to a civil environment, but it isn't likely).

But I probably do have the right to reasonably expect that no babies will be crying during a three hour hyper-violent film, beginning at midnight. Parents have rights, but so does everyone else. Set Harth has the right not to see little girls in the men's bathroom; I have the right not to see children at my local tavern after a certain hour.

The real place for this debate is "airplanes", of course, but even there I'd say I can have no reasonable expectation of a child-free flight. Children have places to go, too. It would be nice not have my seat kicked for eight hours straight while the parents drink wine in another row, as happened on a flight from London once, but that's another issue.

18. Hound of UIster

Hound of UIster Vice Admiral Admiral

The Force is with him.

19. Flying Spaghetti Monster

Flying Spaghetti Monster Vice Admiral Admiral

20. Set Harth

Set Harth Vice Admiral Admiral

I thought of that pretty much immediately. However, the average TV talking head knows nothing about comics, so few of them picked up on it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.