Chevy Chase says doing Community show was a "Big Mistake"

Discussion in 'TV & Media' started by Dream, Sep 25, 2012.

1. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Yup.

It probably didn't help that he and Dan Harmon got along so poorly. If he'd gotten on better with the boss, it may have been a smoother experience.

2. Jono

Jono Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

He's nearly 70. Doing a TV show with 20-odd episodes a season isn't easy for those half his age. I think I remember reading somewhere that he said he didn't really get the humour of the show either, so he's putting in long days and there is a disconnect with what he's helping produce. Add in he doesn't get on with the former boss it's not that outlandish that he considers it a mistake to have taken on the job in the first place.

Of course it's all in the way you say it.

3. Evil Twin

Evil Twin Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I'd urge you to give it a second chance. I gave up very early on when it originally started airing, but after reading so much good stuff about it I gave it another go and stuck with it and it's now my second favorite sitcom (after Arrested Development.) :techman:

4. tighr

tighr Commodore Commodore

Whenever anyone tells me they don't like Community, I just have them watch season 1's Modern Warfare (the paintball episode). It was probably the first episode of Community that really drove home the whole style of the show.

5. FPAlpha

FPAlpha Vice Admiral Premium Member

Exactly.. that episode is amongst the funniest things i ever saw.. only topped by the two parter paintball episode which was even more brilliant.

My tipping point was Troy and Abend in the Morning and their Spanish Rap segment early in season 1.. i laughed so hard and hysterically that my stomach hurt! :lol::lol:

6. propita

propita Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Doncha just love it when you finally get to laugh like that again? It seems to take so much to laugh sometimes.

Right now, I'm laughing every time I see the Jingo's commercial. "Not gonna happen!" The actor said it just perfectly! Oh, never heard of Jingo's, not interested in buying it, but I do love the commercial.

7. the G-man

the G-man Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Then maybe he should retire, not bad mouth his coworkers publicly.

8. PsychoPere

PsychoPere Vice Admiral Premium Member

I'm with Evil Twin and tighr - give the show another chance. It really doesn't start finding its unique voice until after those first few episodes. I too had originally given up on the show but am so glad I went back to it.

9. Jax

Jax Admiral Admiral

Thats reality Chevy, which you will be doing next :p

10. Robert Maxwell

Robert Maxwell memelord Premium Member

Maybe he can star on The Biggest Loser.

11. Legate Damar

Legate Damar Guest

Has there been a good Chevy movie since the 80's?

12. beamMe

beamMe Commodore

Betty White is 90 and she is doing a weekly sitcom with 22 - 24 episodes per season.

13. grabthars hammer

grabthars hammer Captain Captain

Chevy Chase is like Foghat, if Foghat thought they were the Beatles.

14. Admiral James Kirk

Admiral James Kirk Writer Admiral

I stand by Bill Murray's opinion of Chevy Chase: "Medium talent!"

15. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Yes! I caught that commercial last night. I laughed my ass off, because the line just came out of nowhere, and the way it was delivered was perfect! :lol:

As for Chevy, I loved him in the National Lampoon vacation movies, loved him in Fletch, Caddyshack, and Spies Like Us. He can be very funny, but I do recall him having an attitude. Still, I can understand a bit about what he's saying, and agree with Jono that it's all in how it's said.

16. Galileo7

Galileo7 Commodore Commodore

Agree.:klingon:

17. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Has there been a good Chevy movie ?

Having seen some, I don't think I've ever laughed at one...he has been unremittingly unfunny for his entire career.

18. Trekker4747

Trekker4747 Boldly going... Premium Member

Maybe National Lampoon's vacation and Christmas Vacation. Caddyshack? Spies Like Us?

19. Harvey

Harvey Admiral Admiral

I saw Spies Like Us a little over a week ago. It was unremittingly unfunny.

I don't think I've seen any of the Vacation movies, except, oddly enough, Vegas Vacation, but that was over a decade ago. I remember that Chevy Chase was in it, but Randy Quaid was the one who made me laugh.

20. Rowdy Roddy McDowall

Rowdy Roddy McDowall Commodore Rear Admiral

Has anyone else notice these last few years how it's next to impossible to see a new American comedy without one to three stars of SATURDAY NIGHT LIVE featured in it?

The show has classic cast members and episodes, but is also famous for beating 50 percent of its jokes into the ground in between two four-minute commercial breaks. Add all the musical numbers with performers' hands not even seeming to touch their guitars, and the total entertainment value doesn't come close to 60 minutes, let alone its 90-minute slot. I think the show has much to answer for, including its contaminating the movies with Will Ferrell, Amy Poehler, Tracy Morgan and so many others. (Tina Fey is a welcome exception.) And why dwell anymore on Guest Host for life Alec Baldwin? I can think of funnier relatives in cemeteries....but Chevy Chase would be slightly better.