Star Trek Opera
By: T'Bonz on Dec 19

New Abrams Project
By: T'Bonz on Dec 18

IDW Publishing March 2015 Comics
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Paramount Star Trek 3 Expectations
By: T'Bonz on Dec 17

Welcome! The Trek BBS is the number one place to chat about Star Trek with like-minded fans. Please login to see our full range of forums as well as the ability to send and receive private messages, track your favourite topics and of course join in the discussions.

If you are a new visitor, join us for free. If you are an existing member please login below. Note: for members who joined under our old messageboard system, please login with your display name not your login name.

Go Back   The Trek BBS > Entertainment & Interests > TV & Media

TV & Media Non-Trek television, movies, books, music, etc.

Old June 14 2014, 11:37 PM   #16
The Borgified Corpse
Admiral

Location: Ouch! Forgotten already? You were just down there 20 minutes ago.
Re: "Calvin and Hobbes" creator Bill Watterson returned to the comics

Gaith wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Watterson said this specifically about Calvin and Hobbes but it could apply in general...

"This isn't as hard to understand as people try to make it. By the end of ten years, I'd said pretty much everything I had come there to say. It's always better to leave the party early. If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, ten, or twenty years, the people now "grieving" for Calvin and Hobbes would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them. I think some of the reason Calvin and Hobbes still finds an audience today is because I chose not to run the wheels off it. I've never regretted stopping when I did." - Source
Oh, I 100% applaud his decision to close up C&H when he did. I'd just love to see more original content from him of another work entirely, is all.
Agreed. I'm not saying he has to get back to the grind of daily newspaper strips but I find it hard to believe that he's done so very little that's worthy of public consumption in the last 20 years.

Right from the outset, I thought I'd noticed a certain Watterson-esque flair to the art in those first couple strips. (The 3rd one actually has more of an Archie flavor than anything else.) But I assumed that Pastis drew them himself or else collaborated with someone else aping Watterson's style. IIRC, Pastis already experimented a little bit with incorporating C&H characters into PBS a while back showing where they ended up 20 years later. (Moe the bully became a door-to-door evangelist. I don't recall the rest of it.) I never would have believed that Watterson would have come done them himself.
Old June 15 2014, 05:29 AM   #17
The Scrooge Doctor
Doctor of TARDIS

Send a message via ICQ to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via AIM to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Windows Live Messenger to The Scrooge Doctor Send a message via Yahoo to The Scrooge Doctor

The Borgified Corpse wrote: View Post
Gaith wrote: View Post
Agent Richard07 wrote: View Post
Watterson said this specifically about Calvin and Hobbes but it could apply in general...

"This isn't as hard to understand as people try to make it. By the end of ten years, I'd said pretty much everything I had come there to say. It's always better to leave the party early. If I had rolled along with the strip's popularity and repeated myself for another five, ten, or twenty years, the people now "grieving" for Calvin and Hobbes would be wishing me dead and cursing newspapers for running tedious, ancient strips like mine instead of acquiring fresher, livelier talent. And I'd be agreeing with them. I think some of the reason Calvin and Hobbes still finds an audience today is because I chose not to run the wheels off it. I've never regretted stopping when I did." - Source
Oh, I 100% applaud his decision to close up C&H when he did. I'd just love to see more original content from him of another work entirely, is all.
Agreed. I'm not saying he has to get back to the grind of daily newspaper strips but I find it hard to believe that he's done so very little that's worthy of public consumption in the last 20 years
You're making the mistaken assumption that Watterson wants to publish. He's always has been a very private individual and protective of his artwork. Besides, he's been more focused on painting than drawing since his retirement.

"I'm in Hell and it's full of Avons!" - Vila
The Scrooge Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old June 15 2014, 09:57 AM   #18
RJDonner&Blitzen
Idealistic Cynic and Canon Champion

Yeah, Watterson's his own man, no doubt about it, and I think that's great. But I'm still hoping this signals a desire on his part to put his work out there again in some form.