Star Trek Wallpapers

Discussion in 'General Trek Discussion' started by Amaris, Apr 14, 2010.

1. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

I wasn't certain whether this belonged in Fan Art or not, since it's not really about fan art per se.

This has probably been asked repeatedly, but I have a widescreen monitor (16:9) and the only Star Trek wallpapers I have are low res (1024x768) or are standard (1600x1200) which means I have to either blow them up to huge, grainy, blurry sizes or cut the heads off of most the images trying to get a decent image for a wallpaper.

I've been looking high and low for widescreen TOS wallpapers (ships, crew, etc) with no luck. I'm sure this question has been asked, and who knows, I may have asked it, but are there sites with real, quality, widescreen Star Trek wallpapers?

2. KiraDax

KiraDax Captain Captain

I second this, though I would prefer wallpapers featuring land(star)scapes or the non TOS series.

The lack of resolution variety in Trek wallpapers has always baffled me. This is a geek fandom. No way the majority of people still use the smaller monitor sizes. Time to catch up with the times!

3. Amaris

Exactly! I have a hard time believing that there isn't a Trek wallpaper site that is dedicated to widescreen monitors.

4. captcalhoun

captcalhoun Admiral Admiral

if you've got a widescreen monitor, resize the wallpaper to the correct width and then set your desktop's background colour to black and bob's yer uncle, you've got a letterbox style desktop. plus, you can bung your shortcuts into the black bars and leave the image clear. (unless you've got bajillions)

5. Amaris

^ Yeah, I've done that before, too. There are all kinds of little tricks to make it work, but at the end of the day, you're still trying to make a picture never meant for a widescreen monitor suddenly work for a widescreen monitor. It's almost like Pan and Scan, which most of us tend to abhor.

6. ITL

ITL Vice Admiral Admiral

If you supply some hi-res source files and a concept for a wallpaper I'll gladly make one for whatever resolution you use, J.

:D

7. Sector 7

Sector 7 Vice Admiral Admiral

I usually find that 1900x1280 (?) will reduce without much distortion on my 16:9 screen. Being an annoyingly OCD person, I will still crop to fit whenever possible. I despise those black bars on my desktop.

8. Amaris

I remember those fantastic wallpapers you made for Starscape BBS way back when. You made us look like we knew what we were doing. Now THAT takes talent! :D

Same. As an OCD, I notice the little things.