WOW, Labyrinth (1986) hasn't aged well.

Discussion in 'Science Fiction & Fantasy' started by EmmanuelZorg, Aug 1, 2009.

1. EmmanuelZorg

EmmanuelZorg Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I just watched this movie again after all these years last night and WOW, it has aged badly. I also noticed Connelly's acting was quite awkward, i mean Henson cannot direct live actors but only puppets and David Bowie totally looked all drag-queen like even with that gross bulge in his crotch including big hair. The music sounds nice but the score sounded like a John Carpenter rip-off.

Now "The Dark Crystal" by Henson, "The Princess Bride" and "Excalibur" are all good examples of timeless 80's fantasy flicks. Even the recent "Pan's Labyrinth" is timeless.

2. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

I don't think you can put Pan's Labyrinth with the others, since they are all fairy stories and PL is anything but.

3. Christopher

Christopher Writer Admiral

Heck, I didn't like Labyrinth any more the first time I saw it than I did when I revisited it earlier this year. It's just not that good a film. Bowie was totally ineffective at conveying any kind of menace, especially with those bouncy dance moves. It was too much of a vanity project built around him, his look, his sound, etc., and he was wrong for the role. And Jennifer Connelly was too young; she hadn't yet matured into the striking screen presence she became.

However, I would submit that directing live actors is easier than directing a puppeteered Henson creature. After all, in the former case, you're directing one person; in the latter, you're coordinating the efforts of at least two people, sometimes more. And Jim Henson was very good at getting believable performances out of Muppets and creatures.

4. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

PL is a timeless fantasy?:wtf:

Good god! that was one of the most twisted, sick films I ever saw! Please tell me you're not showing that to anyone under the age of 16?

5. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

I only saw Labyrinth for the first time last year. I liked it, but it was definitely an 80s fantasy flick...

It may seem somewhat blasphemous to the fangirls of Labyrinth, but I actually would be interested in seeing a remake, perhaps with Johnny Depp as Jareth. I'd also suggest CG characters instead of puppets, but that may offend even more people than just the fangirls...

Joy

6. EmmanuelZorg

Do you think "The Dark Crystal" is better?

7. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

I do, it's one of my favorite fantasy movies.

8. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Labyrinth was interesting at best even back in the 80's. The puppets *covers her eyes.. oh dear*.... I loved it for Bowie though.. *sigh*.

Another movie which I loved a lot, but has it's very cringeworthy moments is "Legend".. It has not aged superwell either, but it's IMO far better..

9. EmmanuelZorg

What about Princess Bride? Now that has aged well.

10. Worf2DS9

Worf2DS9 Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

^ Now that's a classic!

As for Labyrinth, I had briefly considered purchasing the 20th anniversary edition a while back, but my father beat me to it. After watching it with him, for the first time since '87, I was very happy I wasn't the one to spend the bucks on it. :D

11. Zulu Romeo

Zulu Romeo World Famous Starship Captain Admiral

I haven't seen Labyrinth for ages, but I did like it a little as a kid, even though back then I wasn't sure about David Bowie. :guffaw:

I did catch Legend recently, though. Lord of Darkness FTW! :bolian:
    The Princess Bride is another film I saw briefly only a short while back, and loved. Must see it again some day.

12. Joy

Joy Commodore Commodore

Haven't seen the Dark Crystal; would love to, though. Also haven't seen Legend.

And, yes, of all of the movies mentioned in this thread, Princess Bride is DEFINITELY the one that holds up as a great classic!

I do have to admit that I like a good number of the songs from Labyrinth, and Bowie definitely, to me at least, only looks reasonably sexy when he's in costume... Watching the behind the scenes stuff, I found myself constantly wishing he was in costume when they'd interview him. LOL *shakes head* Just don't understand the appeal... Some fangirls really confuse me.

Joy

13. Small White Car

Small White Car Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Uhm, what does this have to do with his post? Did he erase a part about showing R-rated movies to minors that I didn't get to see or something?

Otherwise this has got to be one of the biggest non sequiturs of the week.

14. Anwar

Anwar Admiral Admiral

Legend is good for Tim Curry's character. Best example of the "Evil is Sexy" trope I've ever seen.

15. sojourner

sojourner Admiral In Memoriam

Not when he groups it with a movie like Labyrinth implying through comparison that it's on the same level as Labyrinth.

Or maybe I'm just over reacting based on my dislike of Pan's Labyrinth. I have a high tolerance for things in movies, but something in PL just strikes me as ugly on several levels and while I would have no problem showing lots of certain other R movies to someone in there early teens, this one just strikes me as being very strong material for anyone under the age of 16 or so.

16. Aurian

Aurian Vice Admiral Admiral

Oh yes.. he was "hot".

17. Skywalker

Skywalker Admiral Admiral

The beginning of Labyrinth when the goblins were in the house used to scare me when I was a wee lad. :o

18. The Nth Doctor

The Nth Doctor Infinite Possibilities... Premium Member

I guess I'm in the minority when it comes to loving Labyrinth even to this day. Yeah, nostalgia has a large part in it, but I have so much fun watching the film.

19. Deckerd

Deckerd Fleet Arse Premium Member

It's not surprising adults will find films that were made for children lacking in depth.

20. Emher

Emher Admiral Admiral

I'd argue it hasn't. Saw it for the first time little over a year ago. Good film but I can't imagine seeing it again since it has that horrendous synth score all over it.