James Cawley returns to NV as Kirk!

Discussion in 'Fan Productions' started by PattyW, Oct 16, 2013.

1. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Smoked, it's called celebrating with other people who share your interest. Why do people put their fan fiction up? Or their fan art? It's for their enjoyment but it's also to share with others.

2. Shatinator

Shatinator Commander Red Shirt

James THANK YOU for all that you brought to those who appreciate the legacy of the material.:)

3. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

What is wrong with having more than one actor play Kirk at the same time? Absolutely nothing. More power to James Cawley for putting on the uniform again. Back in 1983, we had Sean Connery and Roger Moore both on the big screen playing James Bond. Should Connery have passed on playing Bond again because Moore was making movies? No. The world is big enough to have more than one actor playing Captain Kirk at the same time.

4. Barbreader

Barbreader Fleet Captain In Memoriam

How about because some people want to watch it? My website, Star Trek Reviewed is ENTIRELY DEVOTED to helping people like ME who LIKE TO WATCH STAR TREK FAN FILMS spend their time WATCHING rather than HUNTING for these films. I get an average of 40 or 50 visitors a day, who look at 4 to 6 pages each on average. That's a lot of people over the course of a month. I've had over 250,000 pageviews since I started the website, and I firmly believe MOST of those are people who like watching Star Trek fan films.

He releases them for us. If you don't want to watch, don't.

5. PattyW

PattyW Commander Red Shirt

No, I don't.

STC was put up as "solid competition" and that asked for my opinion to the opposite. Vic imitates Shatner the entire episodes, which can only be classified as parody. (James only does ONE LINE each episode ala Shatner and look how he gets roasted...)

There were a lot of people celebrating James' having fun with friends and doing another episode as his own well-developed Kirk. Why people feel the need to attack someone for something that they plan to do is beyond me.

He's decided against doing this episode now.

Thanks.

6. Professor Moriarty

Professor Moriarty Rice Admiral Premium Member

:(

7. USS Intrepid

USS Intrepid Commodore Commodore

Nobody should be shooting anyone down for having fun. Watch or don't watch, it's up to the individual. Being a douchebag though, that's unnecessary.

8. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

I haven't watched a fan film in years, but Cawley's name showing up on the main page caught my eye. What a disappointment to reach the end of the thread and find out it's not to be. Cawley's work in the fan film field is what partly inspired a lot of people to put out their own efforts. His dedication in creating sets, acquiring props, and professional contacts was virtually unmatched in terms of fan productions.

9. Maurice

Maurice Snagglepussed Admiral

10. Barbreader

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

Mr. Cawley, I do hope you reconsider.

12. Captain Atkin

Captain Atkin Captain Captain

"Don't let them promote you. Don't let them transfer you. Don't let them do anything that takes you off the bridge of that ship because while you're there, you can make a difference."
    – James T. Kirk

13. scifib5st

scifib5st Commander Red Shirt

James, if you read this, THANK YOU for your hard work and love of ST. I will always cherish your episodes and behind the scenes videos and video taped conventions. Your efforts have shown a lot of people what can be done. Wishing you the best of luck with your CE brand and productions. I am also a big fan of your WWW work and hope to see the first episode soon.
    LLAP
    :bolian:

14. Maurice

15. Barbreader

16. Amaris

Amaris Fleet Admiral Admiral

Aw, I was looking forward to his performance. :(

17. Maurice

Riot? Nah, I'm much more of a fracas or a donneybrook, but thanks for noticing.

18. Captain Jed R.

Captain Jed R. Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't post very often on these boards, and my opinion doesn't matter much in the grand scheme of things, but I'd just like to say that I hope Mr Cawley does do this fan film.

Firstly, because it seems as though he wanted to and if he wanted to then he should, simple as, regardless of what a few negatively minded people on a forum say. The motivation for doing any fan project should be one's own desire to do it, and no higher motivation is needed.

Secondly, because he's earned it. I'm given to understand that he's spent many thousands of hours, and many thousands of dollars, to make something for fans to enjoy. As one of those fans, I can honestly say he's succeeded, at least in entertaining me, and I'm certain in entertaining others as well. I think if he wants to do one more episode as Kirk, he should, and frankly let the negative people be damned.

You've earned one more stint in the Captain's chair sir, and this fan at least would be more than happy to see it.

19. wtriker1701

wtriker1701 Commander Red Shirt

I'm with Maurice on this. Being a stage actor myself I'd assume, Mr. Cawley knows how to handle a live audience. Of course, there's almost never a boo amongst them - more some kind of less applause. The negative critics voice themselves afterwards - or in advance - through the media, as always. So nothing new there for each of us.

I would ask you, Mr. Cawley, or better, urge you to do YOUR thing. If you wish to have fun with your friends during shooting days - and in a role YOU defined for NV/P2 - why should you listen to ANYONE? Do it, have fun, we'll watch! Don't let your dreams or wishes be destroyed by one or two negative voices out here, in the forum djungle? You KNOW, 99% of your viewers like or LOVE what you do for us. So - be it!

And why there even is a discussion about about "Competition" looses me completely. IDIC on fan film levels. Some like it, some don't. That there have been made mistakes regarding getting along with each other is something that has happened before, might happen again in the future - that's human nature!

When there's a forum, there'll always be a troll!

Do it, James! You're not done playing Captain Kirk, yet! I believe in you as you should believe in your dream!

Greetings from Platjenwerbe, Germany!
    Per Krutke

20. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

Judging from the OP's signature, I suspect James is now looking for a new assistant.