Original baddie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek Movies: Kelvin Universe' started by Kpnuts, Dec 7, 2012.

1. Kpnuts

Kpnuts Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I keep hearing all this endless, repetitive chat about BC's character being either Mitchell, Garth etc...

Has anyone actually considered that just maybe, he's an original character?

2. lurok

lurok Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

Lost in the EU expanse with a nice cup of tea
    Yes. Many, many people.

3. ChristopherPike

ChristopherPike Rear Admiral Rear Admiral

I wouldn't swear to it, but I'm sure it's been said that he's from canon though.

Inspired by somebody in the Original Series at any rate.

It'd be a bit hackneyed if he turned out to be Gary Mitchell's long-lost twin brother, Jeff.

4. Tom

Tom Vice Admiral Admiral

But if he is original then why not reveal who he is? They had no problem in naming Nero as the villain in XI right away. Unless, JJ wants to mind fuck us in believing its a TOS character then just say, haha its a new villian!. I just don't think the producers would go that far to fuck over the fans.

5. anh165

anh165 Commander Red Shirt

Finnegan?

Not quite a baddie par se, but in the alt time line such a character becoming a serious threar would make good shock value.

6. Borgminister

Borgminister Admiral Moderator

There will certainly be villainous relations.

7. Franklin

Franklin Vice Admiral Admiral

The link below is to an interview with Bob Orci by Anthony Pascale back in July. Orci says that Eve's character is canon, Weller's character is new, and Cumberbatch is playing a character from canon. I think he's repeated it in other interviews, too.

http://trekmovie.com/2012/07/14/exc...haracter-details-talks-title-post-production/

Now, it's up to each of you as individuals to want to believe that or believe it's part of a campaign of misinformation. ;)

8. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

^^The problem with that interview is that when originally cast, Alice Eve was said to be "new to canon," whatever that means. Then she's playing someone who has been on TOS.

However, I believe Cumberbatch has always been said to be someone we saw from TOS with no room for interpretation on that score.

9. Franklin

True. Could be as they moved on with the script, they realized that Eve's character actually fit well into an existing character, and made the change for the sake of improving the story. I dont' know. Maybe they'll be some answer after the movie is released. Not that it's big news, but still, "minutiae" is synonymous with "Trek fan."

I just keep wondering if the real red herring is we're all tending to think Cumberbatch must be someone who was also a baddie in TOS (Khan, Mitchell, Garth, Green, even Finnegan), when maybe he wasn't.

10. Robert D. Robot

Robert D. Robot Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I hear that Cumberbatch is playing the Master... definitely a new character to "Trek", but an established character within the genre. Interesting cross-over and the idea is supported by London in ruins as shown in the movie poster. Why can't he leave Earth alone?...

Can't wait 'til May. I hope that Cumberbatch is not Khan. While a new alternate reality twist on "Wrath of Khan" would be interesting, I would enjoy exploration of a completely different character's story. Since we are being shown no display of god-like powers (perhaps intentionally!), I doubt it is Mitchell. Unless the universes are quite different, Green's lifetime would have come & gone before already, no?

11. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

So possibly Rand, Chapel, Carol Marcus, Elizabeth Dehner, or any other blonde. Only because of the hairstyle, I think Dehner.

12. The Wormhole

The Wormhole Fleet Admiral Admiral

Chapel is a possibility based on the blue uniform. However, the hairstyle certainly suggests Dehner, who also wore a blue uniform.

Rand wore red, and Carol Marcus wasn't even in Starfleet.

13. Tosk

Tosk Admiral Admiral

A lot of people are guessing TOS characters based solely on Orci saying that BC is playing a canon character. But he also said he was not playing Gary Mitchell, so if you believe him then that one should be off the table. You can't have it both ways. Unless of course he lied about one and not the other. ;)

14. AJBlue98

AJBlue98 Lieutenant Red Shirt

Has anybody considered the possibility that he's playing someone from canon who didn't show up in TOS, or who was in TOS but wasn't a villain? Hell, maybe he’s playing a vengeful Zefram Cochrane. No, I don't really think ZC is a candidate here, but who else could it be? What canon, non-TOS character possibly could —

—What if the character isn't from TOS but from TAS? That just came to me while I was typing. Roddenberry said he considered TAS canon, IIRC. Which TAS characters fit here? Anybody?

Last edited: Dec 8, 2012
  15. GMDreia

GMDreia Commander Red Shirt

Considering it *right now*.

It seems to me that the whole point of an alternate timeline was to play with new and interesting "what if" scenarios.

It would fit with why they're being so tight lipped. Because the villain is going to be a total shocker. Khan wouldn't actually surprise anyone, they've been talking about it being Khan since this film was a twinkle in its daddy's eye.

Another thought I've had is that the villain is not actually seeking vengeance on *the Federation*, but is perhaps a Federation loyalist who has gone *too far* against some other enemy.

16. teacake

teacake Fleet Admiral Admiral

IT IS ZEPHRAM COCHRANE

Escaped from the love embraces of the Companion he seeks his vengeance on Starfleet and earth for leaving him on that shit hole after ALL HE DID for mankind's future.

17. Melakon

Melakon Admiral In Memoriam

A canon character. The 2009 film is canon. Cumberbatch is Nero.The villain in all three films will be Nero.

18. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Both Captain Robert April and Transporter Chief Kyle appeared in TAS, wore Starfleet uniforms and had English accents.

19. Neumann

Neumann Captain Captain

Honestly, I think that it is Khan. The jump he did in the Trailer is the kind of thing that I would expect from an Augment. I originally wished it was Gary or Garth, but for the sake of argument, in the Trailer he is not really after Kirk, just like Khan was in TOS. He did try to kill Kirk, but it wasnt a personal vendetta.

And the girl is Carol Marcus! Why? Science insignia on the uniform (not rand) and Carol Marcus had a far greater weight on kirk's life than the other plausible characters.

So how old was David Marcus in TWOK? He looked like 24 or such, that would put him as being born on 2262. Quite close huh? :cool:

20. Franklin

I realize your being facetious, but that's actually worth giving some serious thought to. Well, for a moment, anyway. Him somehow being the villain would certainly be more mind-blowing than it being Mitchell or even Khan.