Voyager Movie?

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Voyager' started by Jetfire, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Tidus79001

Tidus79001 Lieutenant Commander

A lot of actors/actresses would have trouble pulling that off smoothly & believably. That was just one example, and I could come up with a lot more. We will have to agree to disagree on this topic.

2. Killandra

Killandra Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I concur, but by basis of that episode, but her other work outside of Trek. She's great on Body of Proof.

3. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

Voyager just didn't have the connection to developing history in the Alpha quadrant - that was explored through TNG and DS9, and what most fans seem to want is what happened next. That's not to say that Voyager cast couldn't be used, but a Voyager project wouldn't cut it.

I (and probably many others) had an idea for a TV movie / miniseries format which although very fannish, could've been great :

Teaser - NX01 Enterprise has a brief encounter that has a knock on effect over a hundred years later. Fast forward to post Nemesis - an issue from the past affects Starfleet, in the course of its resolution involving some personnel / cast from ALL of the old shows, including some flashbacks to TOS or movie era Trek done with old clips and new CGI (as in Trials and Tribble-ations) as Kirks crew had had a similar encounter, since highly classified.

This sort of approach has worked nicely in the novels on multiple occasions and would easily accommodate fans of each show.

Unfortunately, it would be hugely expensive and poorly viewed.

4. CaptainMatt

CaptainMatt Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I would go see a Voyager movie if they ever do one, but it seems TPTB are more into remaking TOS in an alternate timeline. I for one do not think a Voyager movie would necessarily fail.

5. MacLeod

MacLeod Admiral Admiral

I think a DSN, VOY or ENT movie would fail and possibly even another TNG. The simple fact is that with perhaps the exception of some TNG characters, the characters from those shows haven't entered into popular culture. We understand what someone means when they refer to someone as "Mister Spock/Spock" etc...

6. JB2005

JB2005 Commodore Commodore

I think that's the sort of thing that works best in the novels...even a miniseries I think you'd be pushing to do it all justice...

7. CaptainMatt

Just think, though, how much more special a Voyager movie would be-due to it's rareness-than a series of JJ films set on TOS?

8. The Overlord

The Overlord Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I'm not the Voyager cast as a whole can carry a movie. There are too many characters like Harry Kim that have no interesting personality traits. Plus since the entire focus of Voyager was the ship returning to the Alpha Quadrant, I'm not sure what the movie would be about after they accomplished that in the series finale.

9. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Kathryn and Tom's lizardbabies have spent years looking for their mommy and daddy, and they're pissed.

10. Therin of Andor

Therin of Andor Admiral Moderator

Special for who?

11. Relayer1

Relayer1 Admiral Admiral

For a few diehard fans of one of the less successful shows in the franchise.

I'm not trying to wind anyone up - the earlier point about characters not making it into the everyday awareness of ordinary people is right.

Don't get me wrong, I'd happily go and see ANY Trek film, but I don't think Joe Public would, and that's the issue...

12. JanewayRulz!

JanewayRulz! Vice Admiral Admiral

Its like when Firefly made a movie for 23 mill and it only recouped 24 mill.

That's why I'd have my sight on a smaller budgeted TV movie.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVcyWOmsfpU

[yt]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eVcyWOmsfpU[/yt]

13. CaptainMatt

Special for the fans who kept the series alive for seven years. But then the REAL question is NOT who would go see it and what it would be about. The REAL question is who in the cast would be willing to come back for a movie.

14. Guy Gardener

Guy Gardener Fleet Admiral Admiral

Well Mulgrew bullied Jeri for quite while.

Very mean girls.

Garret might sleep in.

Picardo and Ethan always working. ALWAYS.

What's Robbie got lined up after Chuck?

He lives on the other side of the camera these days.

Dawson Too.

Tim would be good to go.

Robert talks like Voyager let him down, and really he owes Voyager an apology for being such an asshole, even though what he said has been really blow up and out of context.

If Jennifer came back for Fury, I don't think it's possible to insult the woman.

But if you want to make the movie cheap?

Mulgrew in old lady makeup, senile, in her pjamas acting out a psychodrama of her most favourite adventure in the grounds of a sanitorium? Too Far Beyond the Stars?

Hmmm?

What about a cooking show moivie?

After slip stream is invented properly, Janewy and Neelix go back to the Delta Quadrant to explore a bunch of alien restaurants on the other side of the galaxy, but all the chefs are played by Celebrity TV Chefs in rubber face makeup... Absolutely nothing else else happens. No space vagina eating spaceships, no time doohicky, no ticking clock threat, just Janeway and Neelix loosening their belts a little more after each glorious and too huge dinner until they have no pants on... Nothing sexual. Just sometimes trousers are the enemy.

You know what I'm talking about.

Gordon Ramsey vs Neelix?

15. Therin of Andor

Well, I watched all seven years, bought selected VHS tapes and then the whole set on DVD. But I have no burning desire to see a VOY reunion. I enjoyed watching them get home. Now they would probably all split up and go their separate ways, not stay together like "Rescue from Gilligan's Island".

Wanna bet?

If it was a killer script, you wouldn't have too much trouble tempting cast members back. But here's the problem: their agents would want to see a script before salary negotiations, and Paramount could get stuck with a script that insufficient numbers of cast are willing to commit to. Requiring extensive rewrites.

It's the same problem as why wasn't Q ever in a TNG movie?

16. CaptainMatt

The main thing is if the cast is involved, it will generate enthusiasm and interest from the fans. Like how ten years had passed before any new live-action TOS-based movie was made. The fans will eat it up. If you cannot number yourself as among them, then I must question if you are still, at present time, a fan.

17. Therin of Andor

Balderdash!

I am a fan of all "Star Trek" and if they ever made a "Voyager" cast movie I would go and see it, at least once. And buy the novelization, the audio, the soundtrack CD, the action figures, the DVD and everything else. But... they won't be making one because VOY's audience was tiny when compared to TOS in syndication or first run TNG.

Paramount crunched the numbers a long time ago and such a film is simply neither profitable, nor warranted.

ST:TMP was in pre-production, as "ST: Phase II", for some of that time. The rest of the hiatus was spent with TOS building an audience via unprecedented syndicated daily prime time repeats. And TAS on Saturday mornings, building a whole new, younger demographic who were eventually exposed to TOS as well.

18. CaptainMatt

If JJ had not taken over the franchise, I am sure there would be a vaccuum that would have to be filled with something. I don't see wh you are so against being openminded that a movie might have worked, like a tenth anniversary special aftter the crew came home? The novels are doing just fine so why can't they build interest up?

19. Therin of Andor

Because the numbers don't add up.

And do what? A three-hour tour of the Delta Quadrant?

Rebuild all those sets for a one-off?

The novels are read by less than 1% of the viewing audience.

20. F. King Daniel

F. King Daniel Fleet Admiral Admiral

That vaccum was very nearly filled with this movie about an ancestor of Kirk during the Earth/Romulan war.