Name some changes you'd make to Odo's Arc

Discussion in 'Star Trek: Deep Space Nine' started by Photon, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Kilana2

Kilana2 Vice Admiral Admiral

Not Vorta/Founder but Vorta/Vorta

According to the litverse one of the Weyoun clones once had a romance with one of the Kilanas. Must have been a bad romance, eh?

2. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

You just had to give me an image of Vorta karaoke, didn't you?

3. JediKnightButler

JediKnightButler Fleet Captain Fleet Captain

I thought that it was sort of odd that they apparently had a conversation about it (during the Worf/Dax wedding episode?) but it was done entirely offscreen. I felt that- given the magnitude of his betrayal (though it may not have been more unintentional than malicious) and the fact that it could have cost the Federation the war- I feel like we needed to have a little more tension between Odo and Kira and see some fallout from his actions/inaction during the occupation arc. I also wonder if Sisko ever addressed it with him after he got back? Starfleet seemed to be aware of Odo's liaisons with the Female Shapeshifter in S7 when Bashir was seeking the cure for the Founder disease

4. tomalak301

tomalak301 Fleet Admiral Admiral

I would have liked to see more done between Garak and Odo. They seemed to drop the relationship after Way of the Warrior, other than the scene in season 5 where he laments not shooting dukat in the back. After the ordeal they had during the cardassian/Romulan mission, I would have thought they would be closer.

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  5. Scotchy

Scotchy Commander Red Shirt

I'd have him change shape more often. It would have been more interesting if he'd been able to refine his shape shifting abilities as the series went. He could have upgraded details in his own appearance (more detail, less plastic), impersonated others convincingly (look how handy that is for Mystique) or even produced stabbing and cutting weapons with his body. It seemed like they avoided too much shape shifting to save money.

6. apollo1984

apollo1984 Commander Red Shirt

What I want to know about Odo is that the other changeling in the link were much better at impersonating human features than he was, it seems when he was in the link he was linked to all their thoughts and emotions, are you telling he could not have picked up the knowledge to be a better shape shifter from the search onwards?

7. JirinPanthosa

JirinPanthosa Admiral Admiral

One thing about Odo/Kira is I feel the arc of their relationship conflates spiritual intimacy with physical intimacy. The writers couldn't think of any way to show us just how close they were in ways that were not physical or standardly romantic. At least not until Chimera, after they'd been having sex. It might have been more powerful if they had progressed the relationship in more a Picard/Guinan way.

I got the impression the reason they didn't gradually update Odo's face to be more detailed was that Odo's default bearing is what they thought the audience intrinsically recognized him by.

8. woodstock

woodstock Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

The whole not being able to mimic a human face thing. He could shift into anything, but couldn't do a human face? That's kind of silly.

Also no romance with Kira, but that's something I would change in her arc.

9. Overgeeked

Overgeeked Captain Captain

I would have been nice to see him go to the darker side of things for a bit, maybe an episode or two. The temperamental and self-righteous constable thing could easily slide across the line and be seen as an anti-hero in some places.

Also playing up the detective novel thing he did for what... one episode. That was kind of fun, though it was a bit of Picard's schtick so it's understandable they didn't pursue it.

10. mendelin

mendelin Lieutenant Commander Red Shirt

I don't like all this "murr-murr" in Kira's hands.
    Initially, Odo was very strong, independent and in somewhere mystic character.
    His unrequited love to Kira was really interesting and perspective story line. They were brilliant as friends. But they were disastrous as couple.
    Honestly, I think, that it was the best love story in whole Star Trek. It was done perfect.

But their story works best as story about deep and gentle friendship.
    Odo has changed after that kiss. He become a jello in Kiras hands. It was bad. Sweet, but bad for Odos character.
    I hate their farewell in the last episode. Awful tuxedo was stupid.
    All this "I never come back, my people need me" was illogical and dull.

Please, tell me, why he can't come back? Because of what? He can cure his people at one moment. And if he need his Great Link, why he started romance with Kira? It's unfair.

11. Peach Wookiee

Peach Wookiee Cuddly Mod of Doom Moderator

I thought they were fine as a couple and it was really sweet. I think in the novels, he's back in Alpha Quadrant, but Kira is with the Prophets... :(